My barrel is filthy

BrightCandle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

On Saturday I had two jams where I couldn't pull the trigger, a release of the magazine and replace solved it in the game. I figured I better do some maintenance and I started with cleaning the barrel. I don't know where I got it but I have black/grey stuff in my barrel all the way down and 100 cloths so far have come out grubby. I have no idea how many its going to take to clean it but I can't believe its that dirty after about 6000 rounds.

What I am thinking is that this is likely grease from the gearbox? But since its a bit grey should I open up the gearbox and check to make sure its not grinding itself apart and not shooting metal fillings out down the barrel?

Look down the barrel. Are there any small bits in it when you hold it up to the light?

If there are, a popular method of cleaning is using Methylated spirit on a cloth pulled through the barrel. If there's still bits in it or grey coming off onto the cloth, remove the barrel completely, and wash it in warm soapy water.

Make sure you dry it completely before re installing.

Another test you could do is pin a piece of white card or paper to a surface and dry fire the gearbox on it's own at the card. If anything comes out, open it up and take a peek.

• Supporters

use a cigarette filter tip soaked in meths, run it through a couple of times, change it for a dry one... if it's still not clean do it again. Rinse and repeat until the barrel runs through clean.

the chances of it being gearbox grease are slim, it's more likely just the crap that came in it from the factory.

seconding Jcheese' suggestion .Its all probably machining fluid & anti oxidization crap left in after the factory.

If it is really dirty I'd wash the hop up bucking too.

Take the barrel & bucking out of the hop up unit. With the barrel,get some cigarette filters/cloth/whatever and dip it in isopryl alcohol and run it through until clean. Then let it dry and run a dry cloth through it again.

For the bucking,add some fairy liquid to a cup of water and drop it in. Leave it for about 10 minutes and let it air dry.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.