Walkie Help

Joshb1612

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

My local site have just started using Motorola MTS2000 walkies, and annoyingly enough there isn't enough to go around. So me being me, just went off and bought one without doing any kind of research (I do this alot, and end up regretting it). I went to ebay earlier to check if it has been dispatched and look at the description and notice it said I needed a licence to use these. After much swearing and belated research, it turns out it was the case. I was speaking to the site manager about the walkies a few weeks back and he never mentioned anything about a licence, and they use them all the time.

Anyone else had this trouble? and does anyone know how it all works?

Cheers

Josh

The licence is based around the output of the radio... You really need to Google it... Getting the licence though isn't hard. It's mainly paperwork. Generally speaking you shouldn't need a radio powerful enough to want a licence.

I think the unlicensed limit is 4 watts... But Google it...

*edit*

I fully lied to you... 0.5 watts...

Yeah... 4-5 watts are the big ish ones... 0.5, or PMR446 type are completely hassle free and good to about 1km... Ish. I just checked eBay and their also quite cheap.

Perhaps they have a site licence to use them ?

These licences are normally issued for specific geographical areas by Ofcom.

Why dont you ask them ?

i assume we are talking about Bunker39 ?

yup the licence is just to prevent people using the same frequencies. Talk to the site, they may be covered for you using a radio on the same frequency.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.