Gloves for airsoft?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've been looking into getting a pair of gloves for airsoft, knuckle shots hurt like hell. And for some reason, my hands always end bashed up afterwards.

I've seen a lot of gloves and heard a lot of reviews on different gloves.

Do you think it'd be over kill purchasing a pair of Oakley SI Assault gloves? They look pretty baller in my opinion. I know someone in the armed forces who uses them and say they're very nice.

http://www.nightgear.co.uk/Oakley-Military-SI-Assault-Gloves/530945ng.htm?colour=Foliage+Green

Are there any other kinds of gloves I should be looking at?

I've heard the Oakely gloves rip pretty easily for a 'milspec' product- and I've also heard of it's clones being more durable. One of my instructors is in the forces and chose a pair of knockoffs over the real thing because of this; his have lasted training and postings in Kenya, Germany, Afghanistan, Gibraltar and other places.

However, I've heard many good things about Mechanix gloves, specifically the M-Pact model. Haven't used them personally but there's a few on here who have.

If I were you, I'd get a pair of Viper gloves; on a whole their products are hit and miss, however I've owned a pair of viper tactical fingerless gloves for the last 3 years and they've been fine. In fact the stitching's only just giving up on one of the padded sections, and I've used them pretty heavily. Very good for the price.

Ultimately the choice is yours, but personally I wouldn't go for the more expensive gloves. I mean, feel free if you want all gucci kit but this is airsoft! All we're protecting against is high velocity plastic pellets :)

• Supporters

Mechanix, helikon or warrior assault systems is what I would go for.

I use a pair of RAP4 fingerless gloves. They're designed for paintballing and only cost £5 off eBay - bargain since they're very sturdy gloves.

Those gloves Oakley gloves sure look like they do the job. I have mechanix fingerless and personally I don't fingerless is a good idea. So far every hand shot I have had has been to the tip (unlucky) and I have some 3-4 week to heal welts. I verge on advising more protection, especially considering how much it hurts to get shot in the fingers.

I have seen a couple of guys at my local using these gloves. I haven't ever asked about them and its 3 weeks until I will see them again which is probably too long but they haven't complained about them.

The machanix framers gloves are a good half way house... They are only fingerless for your thumb, index and middle fingers.

• Supporters

The Oakley factory pilot gloves that you can get for around 30 odd quid were originally designed for extreme sports use, not military use. As a result they don't always last very well. They certainly have the gucci kit appeal but the ones often seen in military use are the fast rope version which is much more expensive!

I use Mechanix originals and they're absolutely brilliant! Very hard wearing having survived 6 laps of the Nuts Challenge assault course.

They also dry very quickly and are very dexterous compared to many other gloves

My fingerless gloves are by far the slowest drying item I have. I wash all my kit when I get back from the game and the one thing that is still wet 12 hours later is the gloves. I don't know what it is about that rubber material they are made of but it retains water extremely well, I squeeze a lot of water out of them but in the end they still take about 36 hours to dry fully indoors which is a long time. I leave them stood open on the backs of chairs so that air gets inside as well to aid the drying, without which it can take 2 days to dry them.

So far I think fingerless gloves is the second worst gear mistake I made (the first was goggles without enough venting for hot air to escape leaving me blind with fog). At the same time I like the fact I can handle a shotgun cap and reload a grenade without removing my gloves, that saves a lot of time compared to how the guys with big bulky gloves do it but I have had 4 nasty welts so far on the ends of my fingers.

My Mechanix are full fingered but I can still do pretty much everything I would normally do in the field without taking them off including loading shotguns and using grenades.

I'm pretty sure the full finger ones leave you with plenty of dexterity... If I'd have started in the winter I'd have gone for full gloves... I know a good few that use full mechanix for real steel quick reloads on shottys. So they would be a fine choice of anyone is worried about the lack of protection.

Well it depends on when they fail you if you can return them.. if its a couple of weeks should be fine but much longer, without a guarantee or warrenty it gets a lot harder

I have used viper gloves, still going strong, oakley clones, lasted one game and fell apart.

Now use genuine oakleys and they are great.

I've tried Helikon gloves and they last a day, came apart at the seams. Switched to Oakley and they're pretty awesome, I got them for the same reason you want them, rock hard knuckle padding can't go wrong!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.