Question on UKARA Requirement and importing RIF

jeffery7466

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello

So I went to an airsoft equipment shop today, and started talking to a few of the employees on airsoft related things (duh). They were very nice and helpful, and we had a good chat. We then started talking about the UKARA registration requirements and importation of RIF. The guy told me that I'll have to play three games WITHIN two months to get registered, he then also said I can probably send the RIF I have from overseas without much trouble, given that I am just sending it to myself.
I then went home and did some research on UKARA and VCRA. They clearly state that the three games must be played NOT UNDER two months and NOT OVER one year, and a person commits an offence if "he/she brings a realistic imitation firearm into Great Britain or causes one to be brought into Great Britain."

I am wondering if a skirmish site could imply their own criteria for registering individuals as a member or regular skirmisher?

Could someone please clear this up for me? Thanks!

"They clearly state that the three games must be played NOT UNDER two months and NOT OVER one year"

This is the correct one.

Thou, even thou you have to play at least one game/year after that, some sites will require you to play more frequently for them to update your UKARA. So I suppose they could say you have to play more months or more times before they send in the paperwork.. if they wanted to (highly unlikely). Never less thou.

It's three games within a year but not under two months, as UKARA says.

The thing about importing RIFs I'm not sure about though because a lot of people do order from Europe and Asia, as long as you've got a UKARA defence it should be fine to order from abroad.

It's three games within a year but not under two months, as UKARA says.

The thing about importing RIFs I'm not sure about though because a lot of people do order from Europe and Asia, as long as you've got a UKARA defence it should be fine to order from abroad.

When I said import, what I meant was posting my own RIF from an overseas address to my address here. But if an offence is committed just by "bringing an RIF into Great Britain" then I guess I need the defence as well.

On a separate note; Gosh, that smile looks... happy.

• Supporters

Yes, that is offence unfortunately. I wanted to bring my guns with me so I did a thorough search on it. You must have defence even if you are sending it to yourself or bringing it in your luggage.

You need the defence and UKARA is the way to do it, so 2 months minimum and 3 games. Then when you do ship your guns from abroad make sure the UKARA number is clear visible so customs can confirm your address and you are covered by it and it should get through customs. If you don't put your number on there its got a good chance of getting stuck or bounced back so make sure to do that.

The requirement for importing is that you have to be able to prove it is intended to be used for airsoft. If you mail it then the easiest way to do this is to put a UKARA number on the package. It is very difficult to prove intended use by any other means than UKARA for a mailed package.

If you are coming to the UK with the guns it is probably easier, have some photo's of you playing airsoft in your country of origin and copies of some emails confirming bookings at upcoming airsoft games with you.

Thanks a lot guys!

According to the UKARA site:

"The "Player" will remain on the Database for 12 months until it will need a renewal update by the players game site. Or unless there has been a substantiated claim that they should be removed due to misconduct."

Does that mean that in order to keep the RIF in my possession legal, the registration must be renewed annually, and hence:

Thou, even thou you have to play at least one game/year after that, some sites will require you to play more frequently for them to update your UKARA. So I suppose they could say you have to play more months or more times before they send in the paperwork.. if they wanted to (highly unlikely). Never less thou.

So, say I get my UKARA registration this year, but due to commitments, I could not meet the requirement of the site to have a renewal update. Does that mean that I would then be in illegal possession of an RIF. Then say if I finally find time to go skirmishing the year after with my RIF, or need to move to a new house, and get stopped by police during transport, would that mean that I have no valid defence?

Sorry if this seems unnecessary, but I do not want to get on the wrong side of the law.

Cheers!

No, Once you own it your fine, but you would then have to do the three games to get re registered with UKARA (Some sites may put you straight on again)

Does that mean that I would then be in illegal possession of an RIF. Then say if I finally find time to go skirmishing the year after with my RIF, or need to move to a new house, and get stopped by police during transport, would that mean that I have no valid defence?

No, you can still possess them once your UKARA runs out, not buy new ones however. as for being stopped by the police, proof that you're a regular skimisher (UKARA) isn't a legal requirement there either.. HOWEVER, having a UKARA number very likely will make things a lot easier for you in that situation. You might also want to carry a little note with the name, address and phone number to the site that you're travelling to or from, so they can call and confirm..

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.