Riot Shields in Airsoft. Opinions?

Caliber

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

What do you guys think about Riot Shield loadouts? Cheating or interesting? Personally, I think they're interesting. I'm even looking into buying a riot shield to start a new loadout (And to have something to slide on when the snow next comes around).

Additionally, what would airsoft sites say about bringing your own riot shield? Chances are they'd be considered cheating, but I don't know. I guess to counter being invincible, you wouldn't be allowed to poke your gun around the side of the shield?

At my local someone turnt up with a Riot shield and it was encorporate into a final game. The guy with the riot shield, was considered invicible (he was to be shot until he gave in from pain) and could shoot around his shield. On his team were two other players, who once shot had to be tagged back in by the juggernaut. In order to win, we had to first kill both of his team mates and then shoot the juggernaut. so it was 3 vs around 20 of us, but it still turnt out a hard game nonetheless because they worked so well together to all stay in, using buildings and the shield to make themselves pretty much covered all the time.

Hate them - really hate them. A couple used to appear at my local site until one split - in CQB it's just plain cheating as far as I'm concerned as it's hard cover with a key hole shooter behind it

• Supporters

People that bring them, no I don't like it. My local has 3-4 shields around the site that are usable and with the correct rules in use aren't bad.

We have a no shooting from behind it rule, you have to expose yourself fully to shoot if using a riot shield to save from arguments etc, theyre also quite heavy and unwieldy so has disadvantages too.

Guest PT247

if not too big and the holder is only allowed a pistol then they are acceptable imo, but I think they ruin the spirit of the game

I personally love them when the rules are fair. For example not letting the player use any other weapon at the same time is reasonable as it forces them to rely on team mates.

When someone has a shield in one hand and an AEG/gbb in the other then it's really just as bad as someone not calling hits.

I've played against them once and it was alright shooter had whatever gun but had to keep 1 hand on the shield at all times and we killed him by shooting any part of him ie from Sides or behind

Like Playing BLACK on PS2 or xBox innit?

The only time I've seen shields in is in a game at my main UK site when you occupy a building, occupiers have unlimited and the team that does it in least time wins. Even with the shield (which can take any amount of shots, but have to be dropped if you die, and dead men cant retrieve them), it's quite a challenge!

As for them being cheating. No. Cheating is if you break the rules your local site have put up for them. If you like them or not thou, that's a different matter :)

I think that riot shields should be like gun hits. Two Shots and you're out.

Different sites have different rules on gun hits.

My main UK site gun hits does not count. Where I play in Sweden, they do. some sites if you get hit on the gun its out of action, meaning you can use a secondary if you have one.

Unfortunately it depends on situation, Got one for my DREDD loadout and decided to bring it along to a skirmish, while my pistol was going it was a simple if you get shot your out and you drop the shield for whoever comes along.

And then my pistol packed up so it was allowed for me to keep hold of it the whole as long as I used my "daystick", great fun for everyone, me included, quite proud when I was able to get 5 of them in a row (see below)

DSCN0194_zpsb08b6b37.jpg

DSCN0191_zpsf7a89591.jpg

It is really a case of how they are used, can be great fun, but if there are no flanking opportunities or capable of overcoming, it can suck big time.

• 4 weeks later...

Are riot shields bullet proof? if not then i guess its the same as cheating.

They're usually made of Lexan (like the real ones AFAIK) so they could survive thousands of rounds. I wouldn't say it's cheating if it's used objectively say as part of the game mode but otherwise then it would probably be unfair.

I'd probably allow their use but you wouldn't be able to use a weapon at the same time so it would require teamwork for both sides to use it and to work against one.

• Supporters

They're usually made of Lexan (like the real ones AFAIK) so they could survive thousands of rounds. I wouldn't say it's cheating if it's used objectively say as part of the game mode but otherwise then it would probably be unfair.

I think he means real bullets.

FYI lexan is not bulletproof.

• Supporters

Nah - I go to a skirmish to shoot people - but usually get my ar$e shot to bits instead

all the same - I know some game modes with shields or juggernaut may be a change

but pick some decent modes and go head to head old skool is what I wanna play

Grab the bomb, briefcase, marker/flag and RUN LIKE F*CK

don't hide behind a shield and retreat back - run for it ya lazy bastid

our site has a couple they use for a certain gamewhere you have to get a flag into the enemy base(very close to their spawn) with the sheilds its hard as you still get shot out the side. without them it would be impossible. however if everyone was allowed them then it would be crap cause i can easily carry one alongside my main and even with restrictions im fairly sure i could still do alright(would need to be semi auto pistols/ shotguns, course shotguns may not even work with the sheild. and personally i say single grenade should kill as theres that few grenades used at our site as it is( i think ive been killed with them once...) one could really come in handy for helping to clear the streets though...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.