Just a little confused about UKARA registration and RIF's

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm 16 and I've taken a liking into airsoft, I've been to a couple of skirmishes and rented guns. I really enjoyed it.

I've been reading up on UKARA though, I'm not sure if I'm totally correct as I'm a little confused about it.

Am I right thinking here:

-I can't be UKARA registered as I'm only 16

But... I do want to get an RIF to go to skirmishes with, I know I can't buy the RIF myself. If I were to have a family member buy it for me, and it was gifted to me, is it possible to still go to skirmishes and use it?

I'm 16 and I've taken a liking into airsoft, I've been to a couple of skirmishes and rented guns. I really enjoyed it.

I've been reading up on UKARA though, I'm not sure if I'm totally correct as I'm a little confused about it.

Am I right thinking here:

-I can't be UKARA registered as I'm only 16

But... I do want to get an RIF to go to skirmishes with, I know I can't buy the RIF myself. If I were to have a family member buy it for me, and it was gifted to me, is it possible to still go to skirmishes and use it?

Yes, as long as he/she has a defence for purchasing. No laws on ownership

Wait wait hold it, they can buy you one YES but you cant give them any money or services or anything for it, it has to be purely a gift, just get one for birthday/Christmas of a parent or relative (what i do) as i am 16 too mate i know its frustrating but trust me. But if we want to keep this sport legal in the UK we need to stick to the rules! its not that bad if your dad/mum/relative/friend has ukara and you have a birthday/Christmas/reason for big gift coming up.

But if your mum/dad/other responsible adult doesn't have UKARA then they can only buy you an imitation firearm. They can't use your defence of skirmishing (which you can't really get until your 18) so unless they have their own you are not going to be getting a RIF.

As Charlie said, legally, no money is supposed to change hands. But you could just give them £200...y'know for that...other thing ;)

How would anyone find out if you had paid them for it or not anyway?

£200 is a good budget, but I would recommend you take your time and look for a good gun that you like. I really shouldn't have asked for a CYMA M4 and now I'm regretting it.

Whilst you're looking around you can be saving up a bit more and with some extra money you could comfortably afford extra magazines / battery / charger / some gear etc!

Hope this helps, and welcome to airsoft and the forums by the way.

EDIT: Ah yeah you will probably need to get it two-toned as well but that's only a tenner usually. I'm 16 too but luckily got me dad into it as well so he has a defence.

Oh gawd, the thought of having an orange gun surrounded by black guns.. ._.

I'll have to have a look around some other guns, I've sort of taken a liking to bullpup rifles... but I think I'll have to save a bit more money up first.

it sucks but we all had to do it at one point !

• 2 weeks later...

I am 28 and even i bought 2 toners recently. Seeing as its a 2 month run minimum to get my UKARA i wanted to start getting some cover training and practice shooting in whenever possible. I dont mind the idea of a toned weapon at standard games. But i really wouldn't want to see it in a camo enviro or milsim setup. Which is ideally what i want to end up doing when i finally sort it out.

I expected as much, It would be a real atmosphere killing eyesore to be fair. I have only seen one in a ton of videos, Orange sniper but with a camo net around 80% of it.

As Charlie said, legally, no money is supposed to change hands. But you could just give them £200...y'know for that...other thing ;)

not ok.

You can cover up your gun with camouflage tape as long as it is non-permanent. So you can put it on when you get to a skirmish but you must remove it before you leave!

Oh fully covering with camo is fine as long as its removed before leaving?

Edit - Noticed i was going offtopic. Please pm reply instead of taking it further here :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.