Possible Mesh-type Protection Risk

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello guys,

So I've heard some years ago that the mesh-type face/eye protection can be quite dangerous, as bb can shatter upon impact, and small pieces can go through the mesh and do some damage. This, apparently, is more likely to happen with the tougher, stronger interwoven type.

I myself have never seen it happen, nor has it happened to me as I used to wear this type of face protection.

My guess is that it's just a possible freak accident.

What are your views on that?

It's rare, but happens.

I've never seen it. I've had point blank shots and at worst the glasses have bent a little, but only minutely. I'd replace them if they get too bent.

Had it happen on my very first game. Had a fragment come through the mesh and sit on the inside of the mesh right in front my eyeball.

Various youtube channels have tested mesh and all of them have found the same thing that there is a reasonable chance that a BB can shatter and penetrate. Airsplat tested the Black bear full head thing (which is in the newbie guide as a recommendation) and they found penetration at all FPS levels.

So yeah it definitely can happen and its the reason I now solder on with fogged goggles instead of using mesh, because the risk IMO is too high.

Had it happen once where a bb shattered and the pieces grazed the skin near my eye. Soon changed to goggles pretty sharpish

It's a risk at the end of the day that is down to the player. Same with lower face protection - some will take the comfort of no guard over the risk of losing a tooth.

yea its a risk. but being a very sweaty guy the chances of damage are far greater of me not being able to see, adjusting /trying to clean and actually getting shot in eye/doing something properly stupid like running into a wall/tripping etc. and glasses which may well have improved circulation offer no protection from certain angles so i could be screwed if lying down and getting shot from an angle, grenade firing bbs up under the mask etc... ill take mesh thank you...

http://www.tactical-kit.co.uk/smith-optics-elite-boogie-regulator-goggle-10085-p.asp

Only goggles I've had so far that don't fog too badly unless you're wearing a balaclava. Well worth it and one of the best airsoft purchases I've ever made.

I have had good luck with desert locust goggles with a fan. The fan really does help reduce the rain out (they don't fog as they have a good anti fog coating but they rain out) quite a lot and I found it good enough to play where normal goggles were simply not. I sweat like Niagara falls, definitely the sweatiest guy I know and its been a challenge finding a solution but those desert locusts work pretty well.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.