The ''new' laws on selling/owning?

Jackricha1986

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

You may notice this is my first post. I was into my airsoft a while ago (2002-2005).

I have an electric MP5 RAS made by Tokyo Mauri ( not sure if they still make them).

I currently have it stored at home and heard that lots of new rules have come into place about selling and owning the guns. (Bright colours, over 18, licenses?)

I'm looking to sell it really as it doesn't get much use.

So I'd just like some advice on how to do this?

Any help would he great

Thanks

Jack

Long story short, you CAN sell it, the easiest way would be on a sales forum like on this fine site!

If you leave it as a RIF (in other words it's in realistic colours) legally you need to feel sure that the person you are selling it to is going to be using it for airsoft at a proper airsoft site so that you have a defence against prosecution. How you establish this is up to you; you could get someone's name and details and call the site they play at to check on them, if you think that's good enough, or you could ask them for a UKARA number (the UKARA database holds details of people who have proven to be regular airsoft players at proper sites) and then call an airsoft retailer and ask them to check if the UKARA number matches the person's details and is still in date. However you do it, just make sure that you can show you checked and established that the person is an up to date legitimate airsofter (or reenactor or in the film/TV/theatre business for that matter).

If, on the other hand, you want to avoid this hassle, you could paint over 50% of the gun in a bright shade of red, orange, yellow, green, purple or blue. At that point it becomes an IF (or 'two tone') and you can legally sell it to anyone who is over 18. Again, on you to establish that this is the case.

Hope this essay helps!

As you bought it before the introduction of the UKARA, it doesn't matter if it's in RIF form or brightly coloured. In selling it the only thing that matters is if the buyer is over 18 and a regular skirmisher. Having a UKARA registration isn't the only way they can prove they are a regular skirmisher, a site membership no. and a call to said site to check their databases works as well.

Hell, as far as we know having photos of you actively skirmishing on your Facebook profile can count as well.

Thanks guys that really helps, I'll get a for sale thread going and see if anyone actually wants it. Then make sure they match the criteria.

I don think I'll paint it, prob make it worse.

Don't really understand the laws myself, guess it must be to stop people using them for crimes/get mistaken for a real gun and get swat called.

Thanks again.

Jack

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.