New younger player looking for tips!

Yawns

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Heyyy,

So I first saw airsoft after FreddieW used the guns in his special effects videos, I thought 'Huh, That's pretty cool, how did they get to use real guns?' So after some intrigue-fueled google searches I found out they were airsoft guns, And that people actually used them in a sport. after many months, I've decided I want to chase up this hobby/sport. And I have, Hence me being here now.

I'm Reece, I'm 14.

I am aware of UKARA / VCRA but I'm interested in knowing how it effects me as a player.

In other threads, I have seen people talk about people my age using JBBG 2-tones, But IIRC, 2-tones are still for 18+ only.

Can anyone fill me in and provide a good website for cheap beginner 2-tone AEGs (Provided they are legal O.o) and also inform me if I am correct regarding me possessing my own Airsoft gun W/O a UKARA + Being under 18.

Other than that I can probably rent from my local site, so hey.

Thanks & Best regards, Reece.

Hi Reece, well done for putting in the work and doing some research. Any time you look into the VCRA you'll find how messed up and confusing it is!

Long story short, as you're under 18 you can't legally buy any sort of airsoft weapon, so you'll be relying on an over 18 to get you one, and unless they can provide a legal defence for the seller (e.g. they're on the UKARA database) then it will have to be a two tone for now. They also can't legally sell it to you, so would have to buy it for you and give you it as a present. If, however, you then start playing airsoft at a proper site you can legally paint over the two tone bits.

That was the short story, and here's the long; all the VCRA stuff you might want to know in one handy package to save you some research time!:

Laws Regarding Buying and Selling Imitation Firearms Relevant to Airsoft

As the law currently stands (and it stands on the whim of the Home Secretary):

In relation to UNDER 18s:

- it is legal to own an IF or a RIF

- it is illegal to buy an IF or a RIF if you are under 18

- it is illegal to sell an IF or a RIF to an under 18

From VCRA 2006 Section 40 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/40

In relation to OVER 18s:

- it is legal to own an IF or a RIF

- it is legal to buy an IF or a RIF if you are over 18

- it is legal to sell an IF to an over 18

- it is illegal to sell a RIF to an over 18

- it is illegal to manufacture a RIF

- it is illegal to import a RIF

From 'VCRA 2006' Section 36 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/38/section/36

NOTE 1: if you wish to import a RIF, manufacture a RIF or sell a RIF to an over 18 you can avail yourself of a 'defence against prosecution' if you can show that you believed that you were intending to provide the RIF for "the acting out of military or law enforcement scenarios for the purposes of recreation" (an example of which is 'airsoft skirmishing') at a site with third party liability insurance. One way for a seller to do this is to establish that the buyer is registered with the UKARA database, though this is by no means a legal requirement or the only way for the seller to establish a defence for themselves.

From 'VCRA 2006 (Realistic Imitation Firearms) Regulations 2007' - http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2007/20072606.htm

With further notes specific to airsoft in 'VCRA 2006 (Commencement No 3) Order 2007' - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-violent-crime-reduction-act-2006-commencement-no-3-order-2007-firearms-measures

NOTE 2: any attempt to commit one of the offences listed as illegal above is also illegal in itself.

From 'Criminal Attempts Act 1981' Section 1 - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1981/47/section/1

NOTE 3: the defence required to manufacture a RIF is not age specific, so an under 18 should be able to do so legally as long as they can prove their defence.

Acronym Glossary:

IF: Imitation Firearm (in relation to airsoft this is generally recognised as an airsoft gun which is painted over 50% in an 'unrealistic' colour - this is generally referred to as 'two tone')

RIF: Realistic Imitation Firearm (in relation to airsoft this is generally recognised as an airsoft gun which is 'realistically' coloured so as not be easily distinguishable from a real firearm)

VCRA: Violent Crime Reduction Act (the most recent law which directly affects the buying and selling of imitation firearms)

UKARA: United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Association (a group created by leading UK airsoft retailers to easily establish a defence against prosecution for themselves when selling imitation firearms - they maintain a database of airsoft players for this purpose; to be entered on the database a player must play three games in over a two month period at a registered airsoft site)

Cheers.

So basically, If I bring my Dad along for 3 games, He could literally just buy me a gun. Even if I say which one and I stand right by his shoulder when he buys it. Then recieve it the second it comes in the post. It's all above-board and legal?

And If I just wanted a two-tone he wouldn't even have to come to the games?

Props to both of you for replying + Helping out.

Again, Massive thanks + Best Wishes,

Reece.

Edit: Just a quickie, Most UK stores that have vouches around here only sell serious, Metal construction, Non-2-tone guns, And sites that do cheap starter guns that I could look into? (Just like £70 tops for a durable, Decent AEG)

I'll give you the same advice that I think most people here will. Best bet is to play a few games while renting (and in your case when your dad is with you too!) so that you get a feel for what sort of gun you want (ask people nicely if they don't mind you having a look/hold/shoot of their guns between games too). That way you don't just buy a two tone that ends up looking and performing crap just so you can say "I has my own gunz!" :)

Once your dad has played three games in over two months he's eligible to get on the UKARA database (your site should be able to help you with this). He doesn't NEED to be on there, but it's by far the easiest way if providing a defence for sellers (and some online companies basically insist on it). Once your dad is registered with UKARA (or has another way to provide a defence) then you can point at any gun you like, IF or RIF, and he can buy it and give it to you there and then as a gift (but legally you can't give him any money, or other goods and services) in exchange for it.

If your dad doesn't end up playing any airsoft he can still buy any IF ('two tone') legally and hand it over to you as a gift just as legally.

As long as you're not a dick with it nobody should ever feel the need to ask you how or where you got your IF or RIF. There is nothing illegal about you owning either. If someone like the police demands to know just ensure that you have acquired it or modified it in a legal way and explain how.

Hope this essay helps!

• Supporters

Edit: Just a quickie, Most UK stores that have vouches around here only sell serious, Metal construction, Non-2-tone guns, And sites that do cheap starter guns that I could look into? (Just like £70 tops for a durable, Decent AEG)

You're not going to get an AEG for £70 that's going to be anygood. Save up so you can get a better gun.

Yeah, all helped a lot, special thanks long shot. Cheers for the explanation ;)

Lastly, yeah, what is a reputable site from which I can look into quality AEGs, price irrelevant

Zeroone

Fire Support

Landwarrior

Wolf Armouries

Those are probably the biggest retailers, but are also the most expensive. Still perhaps worth looking there first.

Best thing to do is establish what sort of gun you'd like first (M4, AK, G36, etc.) then find out what brand in best (you'll usually get told TM - Tokyo Marui). Once you know what you want ask for advice of the different brands that make that gun on the forums (and wait for 10 people to give you 11 different answers!).

As Monty has said though, it's worth saving up to get a good one.

Yeah, I plan so play a solid 5-10 games before buying. Doesn't stop me from browsing though. Thanks again, you've been a massive help and I can't wait to become and active member of this community, will update when I purchase a gun etc ( not near future)

Cheers

-Reece

I'm under 18 and I will say this. I've said it before, and I WILL say it again. If you get a two tone gun, GET A TRANSPARENT GUN OR A TIGER TONE. A bright orange SRC on a treeline lights up like a christmas tree. However, you seem like you know what you are going to do. Well done for not being a noob like I was. Where do you play? If you live near Gatwick, we could meet up and I could help you in person (I'm 13).

Haha, I live in the East-Anglia area, I plan to play at Special Ops HQ near MK, sounds alright, I'm just hunting for footage of some games at the place and emailing the site to find out the age demographic and the amount of people who show up etc. Gatwick is about a 2 hour drive, so I might be able to hop into some more distant games with y'all when I can get my head aabove water with airsoft ;)

I'll have to look at it, I'll stay in contact via PMS, but I'd want to have a basic knowledge of the sport before I go on excursions to matches,maybe abit further north, that's towards the west of London, I'm more north then west ;)

Spend some money on kit and rent an AEG. Good boots, eye pro(tection) and some camo clothing should be top priority. See if you actually really like airsoft before you start throwing money into the bottomless pit of RIFs.

Yeah, I'd like to play as more of a 'lighter' player. As in I wouldn't bundle on layers upon layers, Just simple things. I'll just throw a list out there, Please point out things I'll need ;)

• A place to store loaded mags
  • A leg holster, For a light pistol
  • A place to drop mags once empty ( I believe the correct term is a Drop Pouch, Correct if wrong)
  • A place to hold a bottle of water
  • A V. light Backpack at the most, very slim fitting, So I can make the most of small cover.
  • Knee pads + Elbow pads, I aim for comfort.

I'll probably still wear camo gear, Just camo trousers, If it's CQB, I might just wear skinny jeans, Flaw me all you like, But they fit nicely and are comfortable w/ Knee pads.

Please god point me in the right direction if I'm wrong, I don't mind bruises Etc, so my arms probably won't be covered, In the winters I might throw on a thermal, But hey, I have no experience out on the field, Any help I get comes greatly revieved.

Side Help: I'm a massive fan of the 'Glock' an iconic pistol, I won't buy one any time soon but If someone could find me one from a reputable maker/dealer, Please do.

Again, Big thanks, Props to all commenters etc, Reece out ;)

I'd say that from that list the mag pouches and a dump pouch (where empty mags go) are a good idea. I'm a fan of quite lights rigs, like an RRV, but if you want to go really light you could try something like a molle 'battle belt.'

A holster for a pistol is a good idea if you get one, but consider a belt or chest mounted holster if you're planning on running anywhere - you'd be surprised how much a gun jumps around in a leg holster, especially if it's a metal one!

Holding water somewhere is a good idea, personally I have a small bottle that fits in one of my mag pouches. Some people might recommend a big hydration pouch, but it might depend on where you play. Where I usually play you're never out for more than about an hour in a game, so I just drink when I come back in.

I wouldn't worry about a back pack; what would you need it for?

Knee pads and elbow pads aren't really necessary either, elbow pads in particular. If you do go with knee pads you'll find most tend to fall down a lot and just get annoying. Especially, again, if you're running a lot. You could try finding the trousers that you stick knee pad inserts into.

As to what clothing to wear, just wear whatever you want; screw anyone who tells you you're 'not doing it right.'

Finally to the Glock. I just can't get on with Glocks! They're too small for my hands (and I don't have massive hands!) and they just feel too light. ThIs might be why I own five 1911s. As I've said before, best thing is to try a few things in your hands and see what suits you personally. Also as I've said before, if you're looking at pistols everyone will tell you to buy TM.

I can't comprehend how helpful you are ;D

Yeah, I like the sound of all that, the only reason I like the clock is b/c I'm a counter strike fan, it's just abit of an iconic pistol, also, I have abnormally small palms but rather long fingers, Flock sounds nice for me. I would have to look into TM, their pistols are impressive to say the least.

Another question (Sorry, not trying to constantly bump this, its just the more I look into airsoft the more intrigued I become)

So I have fancied an ak as a gun for a fair bit now, and I hear CYMA is a reputable and wallet friendly brand, however all the ak's I like the look and price of appear to lack a rail on top the generic rail placement area of the gun, is there a specific way to get a sight on it? One of the guns that caught my eye was this: http://www.taiwangun.com/en/cm-028a-tactical

I apologise in advance if it is an abismal website or such, it was the gun/website linked in the noob starter post. If not that an, there still isn't a rail in the g&g combat machine range available on zeroones website. Help?

Thanks again, Reece ;) x

For certain ak's you can buy a rail which clips on the side of the gun. By the looks of it that ak doesn't have the mount that is needed to clip it on sadly. Welcome to the sport btw (I'm 13 also).

CYMA are OK for a budget brand. If the one you linked does indeed shoot 360fps you would need to change out the spring to get it below 350fps, which is pretty much the limit on most sites in the UK.

I too would advise against a leg holster, keep you pistol on your waist or above otherwise it will flap around and piss you off when running. I use a SERPA holster on my hip.

Okay, what about the g&g combat machine range on zero one? Ak or m4, and I'd like to be able to attach a sight in the generic place, any recommendations?

Cheers.

So basically, If I bring my Dad along for 3 games, He could literally just buy me a gun. Even if I say which one and I stand right by his shoulder when he buys it. Then recieve it the second it comes in the post. It's all above-board and legal?

And If I just wanted a two-tone he wouldn't even have to come to the games?

Props to both of you for replying + Helping out.

Again, Massive thanks + Best Wishes,

Reece.

zerooneairsoft is quite good. They also have a free 2 tone service....

zerooneairsoft is quite good. They also have a free 2 tone service....

I hate to burst your bubble but they're not that good. Free two tone = Crap two tone. They will also block any negative comments, not a single bad one apart from on here.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.