How to tell what spring you have?

Steviewev23

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As in the title really, I'm fairly new to airsoft so would just like to know how to distinguish what size a spring is by looking at it?

Also if anyone knows what spring my VFC M4 ES Recon has stock that would be sweet.

Cheers me dears!

Steve

It really depends. Some retailers & wholesalers,even manufacturers swap out springs to be legal or more site friendly in various countries. It's best to use google for a general idea but It's not knowing if the spring was changed for export markets.

To find out-Chronograph the velocity of the gun in m/s. Most springs are rated by how much velocity in m/s should be put out assuming good air seal. so 120 m/s (400FPS) give or take should mean an m120 spring. Allow a decent power tolerance since some guns may come with poor air seal but most higher end guns come with good O rings and air seal parts.

Some people have the skill to distinguish spring strengths by looking at the coils and from the general feel. It's all from experience with gun tech and has no real method,just a person's wits. It's all estimation though and not very scientific and accurate. A better method i think is just seeing how fast the gun shoots.

Some people have the skill to distinguish spring strengths by looking at the coils and from the general feel. It's all from experience with gun tech and has no real method,just a person's wits.

.... Are you sure about this? I think someone might be pulling your plonker... :)

It's mainly by people who are used to the feel and look of various spring strengths. It's still all estimation work. I can only think of a few internet famous people who might be able to do it semi accurately. Like I said,all estimation so just see how fast the gun shoots.

It's mainly by people who are used to the feel and look of various spring strengths. It's still all estimation work. I can only think of a few internet famous people who might be able to do it semi accurately. Like I said,all estimation so just see how fast the gun shoots.

Honestly... Someones having you on. Spring rates can't be deduced by looking or feeling a spring. Not even semi accurately. I just wanted to point it out in case you were relying on them for information or something. You would actually need to measure it... Even basically... But measured none the less.

Oh no,I don't rely on that for information. I was just putting it out that some people can estimate spring ratings. It's kind of a mish mash really,measuring might not work sometimessince most springs that come with chinese guns are very,very short but very stiff, about an m130 rating but no where near the length of an aftermarket m130.

There's just so much shit to tell apart spring strengths is just best to estimate by chrono'ing the gun.

Oh no,I don't rely on that for information. I was just putting it out that some people can estimate spring ratings. It's kind of a mish mash really,measuring might not work sometimessince most springs that come with chinese guns are very,very short but very stiff, about an m130 rating but no where near the length of an aftermarket m130.

There's just so much sh*t to tell apart spring strengths is just best to estimate by chrono'ing the gun.

Not even remotely true, I'm afraid.... Springs have a finite definition. It will have a spring rate defined in N/mm or k... For a simple spring. Simple testing next to any known spring will give you a ballpark. Things like this are always worth some education I think.

Thanks guys, so only way to know for sure is chronoing. If I buy a upgraded spring how will I know I've not been ripped off until I can get to a chrono?

Out of interest NH Shooter what was your stock spring as you have the same gun as me, and have you upgraded it at all?

Not even remotely true, I'm afraid.... Springs have a finite definition. It will have a spring rate defined in N/mm or k... For a simple spring. Simple testing next to any known spring will give you a ballpark. Things like this are always worth some education I think.

My typical test is to chrono the gun and pray the factory that produced it stuck to some sort of standards and it meets the rating :P I've been spoiled by working on a lot of ACM so I've become cynical with airsoft-I always expect something to be out of spec and have shit tolerances. I'm still new to the AEG tech scene- VSRs are my main specialty.

Thanks guys, so only way to know for sure is chronoing. If I buy a upgraded spring how will I know I've not been ripped off until I can get to a chrono?

Out of interest NH Shooter what was your stock spring as you have the same gun as me, and have you upgraded it at all?

I have no earthly idea to be honest... I did get the local place to chrono it and it came in at near the 330fps mark. I would assume it's a m100 based on that. The previous owner said he had it downgraded... But I'm not sure I believe him.

If it helps... Out of the box it might be perfectly suitable... Maybe look into the hop. I know mine would gain from having that tinkered with.

I'm going to be installing an R hop and M nub with a guarder clear bucking next week when it all arrives so hopefully should see an improvement in how it shoots. I wanted to know about springs as I was considering an upgraded spring but don't want to go buying the same or lower graded spring by mistake.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.