Mag feeding issue?

ForestFighter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I finally fully charged my battery and broke out the AK74 for some test firing yesterday.

I found that the gun was firing well - nice and straight, hop-up was good out of the box... But with the one magazine in it, it refused to feed more than maybe 8 shots maximum, mostly less than that, on either semi-auto or full auto. I had to keep constantly winding the mag up and it didn't seem to be feeding the BBs up the mag properly. On closer inspection of the mag, it seems that whenever it stopped feeding and I removed the mag to look a look at it, the BBs weren't fed right up to the opening, and when I wound it, the BBs came up and then jumped back down a few times, before being properly fed up into position.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't to do with jamming, as every time I took the mag back out, wound it and then put it back in, it would, again, fire another few shots before the same thing happened. Plus, the gun seemed to fire without issue when using the other magazine.

I intend to get in touch with Firesupport to see if there is anything they can do for me in terms of possibly sending a replacement mag. I don't have a lot of knowledge on how this all works, so I though it best to get a second opinion before I did so, just to make sure that it's not the gun itself.

Could be a problem with the spring inside the bottom of the magazine.

Hi-caps are very easy to take apart. There will be a screw in the base of the mag, undo this and the entire plastic internal part will slide out of the top, there's a couple of small springs to keep an eye on as they can be a bit fiddly to get back in to place.

There will then be a large 'cog' at the bottom which will split into two pieces, inside of which will be the coiled metal spring.

I had an issue with one of my G&G hicaps after it got dropped in a stream, must have got a bit manky on the inside then when wound part of the spring snapped. Simply bent another section round the middle of the cog and it was good to go.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.