is this gun worth the money? G&G SCAR L

team flex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

If you're getting a two tone gun go for a g36 or m4, the parts are easily changeable/coverable and they don't look too bad. Two-tone scars however look awful.

implying scars doesn't look awful?

sorry, couldn't resist!!

you kidding, down to preference i guess, i love them!

Everything's down to preference. I love the look of AUGs and P90s but a lot of people despise them. I don't like m4 platforms but (almost) everyone has one haha

Everything's down to preference. I love the look of AUGs and P90s but a lot of people despise them. I don't like m4 platforms but (almost) everyone has one haha

yeah part of the reason i won't get one, they are so mainstream i guess, I want to be different

I am bit more practical than that. I dislike the M4 because of the high stock, but I also recognise that M4 magazines are vastly better than anything else in terms of options. The SCAR L combines a lower stock which is better for a mesh facemask and can take M4 magazines and has the rail space to fit just about anything. It might very well be an ugly looking gun but its very practical from an airsoft perspective. Internally its pretty upgradeable as well, the only real drawback I feel is the battery, which is of the small type due to that folding stock.

I am bit more practical than that. I dislike the M4 because of the high stock, but I also recognise that M4 magazines are vastly better than anything else in terms of options. The SCAR L combines a lower stock which is better for a mesh facemask and can take M4 magazines and has the rail space to fit just about anything. It might very well be an ugly looking gun but its very practical from an airsoft perspective. Internally its pretty upgradeable as well, the only real drawback I feel is the battery, which is of the small type due to that folding stock.

do you know what size LiPo i should use?

do you know what size LiPo i should use?

The SCAR guns take a mini type battery, which according to http://uk-airsoft.myshopify.com/collections/batteries-and-chargers/products/8-4v-1600mah-2-3a-nimh-mini-battery is 107.0mm x 34.0mm x 17mm. So in lipo terms you could probably fit an appropriately shaped 2600 mah lipo into the same space. (http://uk-airsoft.myshopify.com/collections/batteries-and-chargers/products/vapex-airsoft-7-4v-2600mah-25c-cranestock-lipo-battery looks like it should fit, its shorter but potentially too wide in one direction depending on how it goes in and how much space there is). I would ask the store you buy it from.

The SCAR guns take a mini type battery, which according to http://uk-airsoft.myshopify.com/collections/batteries-and-chargers/products/8-4v-1600mah-2-3a-nimh-mini-battery is 107.0mm x 34.0mm x 17mm. So in lipo terms you could probably fit an appropriately shaped 2600 mah lipo into the same space. (http://uk-airsoft.myshopify.com/collections/batteries-and-chargers/products/vapex-airsoft-7-4v-2600mah-25c-cranestock-lipo-battery looks like it should fit, its shorter but potentially too wide in one direction depending on how it goes in and how much space there is). I would ask the store you buy it from.

ah ok thanks for the help, any idea on chargers? thanks

Oh yeah, also was wondering what kind of mags i should buy and the prices. I know they take m4 mags, but there are so many to choose from...

• Supporters

Right then.

I have a G&G SCAR-L. It's ace. Ignore anyone that says you can fold the stock for CQB because 1) that's NOT why the stock folds and 2) it's a pain to try and use with the stock folded anyway.

If you buy the CQC version the gun comes with a barrel extender to the same length as the standard rifle. This can be easily unscrewed which then gives you the CQB length gun. Simples.

I run a 7.4v LiPo in mine ( this one in fact: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-35c-lipo-battery.html ) and it's fine and dandy. It does NOT need a cranestock battery as the battery space is a big square block in the buttstock. The ONLY reservation I have is that it's quite easy to bend the pins the connect the main part of the gun to the battery holder, but it's easy to not fuck it up - you just need to be a bit aware of what you're doing when you fit the battery.

You WILL need a downgrade spring though. When mine turned up it was shooting at the thick end of 400FPS! Get the shop to do it for you and aim to be under 340FPS as then you'll have no trouble with any of the sites you might want to use (CQB sites for example tend to be quite low on muzzle velocity).

Well worth the money and a gun that will last you a decent length of time too. Good choice.

For a lipo charger it will be a smart charger, you just want to make sure its also a balance charger. Other than that someone else will have to fill you in on brands, I just bought a VapexTech to go along with a Vapex battery as someone somewhere recommended Vapex batteries. Its certainly worked pretty well so far.

Right then.

I have a G&G SCAR-L. It's ace. Ignore anyone that says you can fold the stock for CQB because 1) that's NOT why the stock folds and 2) it's a pain to try and use with the stock folded anyway.

If you buy the CQC version the gun comes with a barrel extender to the same length as the standard rifle. This can be easily unscrewed which then gives you the CQB length gun. Simples.

I run a 7.4v LiPo in mine ( this one in fact: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/7-4v-2200mah-35c-lipo-battery.html ) and it's fine and dandy. It does NOT need a cranestock battery as the battery space is a big square block in the buttstock. The ONLY reservation I have is that it's quite easy to bend the pins the connect the main part of the gun to the battery holder, but it's easy to not f*ck it up - you just need to be a bit aware of what you're doing when you fit the battery.

You WILL need a downgrade spring though. When mine turned up it was shooting at the thick end of 400FPS! Get the shop to do it for you and aim to be under 340FPS as then you'll have no trouble with any of the sites you might want to use (CQB sites for example tend to be quite low on muzzle velocity).

Well worth the money and a gun that will last you a decent length of time too. Good choice.

haha thanks, jesus, really looking forward to this gun

For a lipo charger it will be a smart charger, you just want to make sure its also a balance charger. Other than that someone else will have to fill you in on brands, I just bought a VapexTech to go along with a Vapex battery as someone somewhere recommended Vapex batteries. Its certainly worked pretty well so far.

ok thanks, will go digging around :)

Get one of these: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger.html

You'll need a 12v car battery to charge from using that version.

Or this one: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger-3282.html

Which comes with a mains adapter.

Very good charger, will do NiMh, Lipo, Life and some others as well. I use it on 7.4v 2200mah Lipo's from the same site.

Edit: Before you start using Lipo batteries, google up some guides on charging and use of them. They can be dangerous if used incorrectly, especially if charging on the wrong settings.

You will also want to change the connector type in your gun, most people use deans connectors (the little red block type connectors), I use XT60's which are pretty similar.

It's very easy to use these as long as you have some basic knowledge of a soldering iron.

• Supporters

Quick word of advice - you don't HAVE to change the connectors in the gun. Mine's still running absolutely fine on the original Tamiya style ones. Deans or XT60 connectors do give you better contact but to be honest with the G&G SCAR the biggest barrier to connectivity isn't the battery connector - it's the fine gauge wiring that jumps the fold in the stock and the brass pins they use to connect through from the battery compartment to the main gun.

Buy the gun, get a decent battery and enjoy it. It's a fine weapon!

Get one of these: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger.html

You'll need a 12v car battery to charge from using that version.

Or this one: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger-3282.html

Which comes with a mains adapter.

Very good charger, will do NiMh, Lipo, Life and some others as well. I use it on 7.4v 2200mah Lipo's from the same site.

Edit: Before you start using Lipo batteries, google up some guides on charging and use of them. They can be dangerous if used incorrectly, especially if charging on the wrong settings.

You will also want to change the connector type in your gun, most people use deans connectors (the little red block type connectors), I use XT60's which are pretty similar.

It's very easy to use these as long as you have some basic knowledge of a soldering iron.

thanks very much for the help!

Quick word of advice - you don't HAVE to change the connectors in the gun. Mine's still running absolutely fine on the original Tamiya style ones. Deans or XT60 connectors do give you better contact but to be honest with the G&G SCAR the biggest barrier to connectivity isn't the battery connector - it's the fine gauge wiring that jumps the fold in the stock and the brass pins they use to connect through from the battery compartment to the main gun.

Buy the gun, get a decent battery and enjoy it. It's a fine weapon!

haha will do :) waiting for the stock atm

• Supporters

Try the Pirate arms ones from Bullseye Country Sport. I have one and it's pretty decent. The 3x FTS magnifier I bought with it has however been consigned to the "try and make it work better" pile.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.