Is 'Trading' Legally the Same as 'Selling?'

Longshot

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Bit of an odd one, but since it is illegal to sell a RIF what is the legal position on 'trading?'

If I were to swap a RIF with someone who had a RIF, in the full knowledge that they never played airsoft and never intended to, would this legally be considered the same as selling to them?

PS. I love you for helping me. Thanks very much. Hey, let's be friends! (I've been told I need to be friendlier when talking about legal issues).

• Supporters

Simple answer: yes, they're the same.

Long answer: When entering into a sale or trade, you're creating a contract. A contract is formed by two parties each paying the other 'consideration', this consideration can be any item of value to either party (there are other things that form a contract, but those aren't important).

So, in a normal sale, party A might offer a gun as consideration, and party B will offer currency. In a trade, the only difference is that party B changes what their consideration physically is to goods or services instead of currency.

Hope that makes sense...

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.