Scar L or H?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Getting some VFC Scar. I have the obvious choice between the heavy and the light.

I know there's huge differences in real life, but not so much in airsoft.

I know the L is a bit more compact, and that it uses standard M4 mags.

Is there anything else, and which of the 2 would you choose, and why?

SCAR H, because of the DMR potential. You don't actually see a lot of guys with 7.62 caliber replicas where I play either.

SCAR H, because of the DMR potential. You don't actually see a lot of guys with 7.62 caliber replicas where I play either.

Sorry for not knowing much, but what do you mean with DMR potential? I know what a DMR is, but yeah? They have the same power and all right?

It depends on your style of play really

If you're more of an open environment player (desert, woodland, etc) then probably the MK17 (Scar-H) as like TacMaster said, there's the potential to turn it (aesthetically) into a DMR as the H variant is chambered with 7.62's (usually used in DMR's)

On the other hand if you're more of a CQB player then I would say the MK16 (Scar_L), I myself use one and I mostly use it for CQB because I can run it with the standard CQC barrel, a tracer unit, or a 5 inch barrel, it uses M4 mags so there is a wider and cheaper range of mags and mag pouches out there and i personally prefer the look of it to the H variant.

Sorry for not knowing much, but what do you mean with DMR potential? I know what a DMR is, but yeah? They have the same power and all right?

People tend to convert 7.62mm replicas into DMR role weapons as they are used in that role IRL- granted there are a few 5.56 DMR weapons around and more used for the DM role in airsofting however it's better for accurate loadouts.

E.G you could in theory have a US Navy Seals marksman/sniper loadout with an upgraded MP5, as the USNS use MP5s (I think) however people get funny about people using MP5s and small weapons with DMR standard internals as DMRs.

(I wasn't recommending you get the H in my above post, I was just posting my preference :) )

um, no, they're completely different.

if you're after shorter magazines for the SCAR-L then you could put older M16 magazines in there (often called VN style).

Perfect. Wouldn't that make it look almost like the heavy?

No idea why it quoted you twice.

• Supporters

I'd get the SCAR H.

Just because. :P

Also, the PMCs in Metal Gear Solid 4 looked amazing.

Its mostly just aesthetic differences which bring about practical differences. The mags being special means they are more expensive, and require less available pouches (SR25 pouches tend to fit the scar mags). The guns are otherwise pretty close really in terms capabilities, rails and such.

In real life the SCAR L has basically failed to take hold in the US military, they have by and large kept the M4. The SCAR H on the otherhand is being adopted by Rangers and SEALS so its becoming a big gun in the special forces world. So really the choice is mostly fashion, are you trying to achieve a particular load out that has a decent element of realism or are you trying to get a gun that is maintaince easy for skirmishing. I view the SCAR L v SCAR H as one of those classic fashion verses ease of use/price of use aspects in airsoft. The SCAR L still looks like a SCAR, its just the wrong SCAR!

• Supporters

I have a SCAR-L and it's great.

As above though if you want a good gun that you can buy mags and pouches for easily go for the L, if you want the look and US SOCOM appeal, get the H.

Black Death has a black SCAR H TM Recoil and it looks the absolute dogs danglies. Check out the photos from the field thread to see what I mean!

• Supporters

bear in mind though that the man is a tank and the gun only LOOKS small in his hands!

So true. Even WITH the Elcan sight and EGLM it still looks tiny on him!

A prime example of the short of trade off you'll be making is with mag pouches. So far I haven't yet found any double (2x3 this is) SR25 compatible mag pouches. So if you went with a RackMinus chest rig you would get say 12 columns and could only stack a total of 6 magazines on there and room for nothing else. Now presumably you might want something else on there as well so you probably are only going to get 4 magazines worth of actual space on your rig. Grand result is 5 magazines total at 450 rounds total.

If you compare that to the M4 pouches blue force do a double stacked one, in the same space you can get twice as many magazines (all be it they stick out more) so you can have them take a lot less overall space and have room for more. Someone might have a double depth SR25 magazine pouch but all the places I have looked so far don't seem to have any and I started checking the manfacturers websites (like blueforcegear.com) and found they don't even sell them.

Whether the trade off of small magazines (90 rnds) combined with difficult to find mag pouches and more expensive magazines with no competition is really the choice to make. Of course like I say the SCAR L is a dead end, its not going to get used in the US military anymore only the SCAR H is in there going forward. Ultimately there is a reason lots of people buy M4's, lots of parts lots other kit that is all compatible and you can choose how authentic you want it and what price to pay for metal v polymers etc. The SCAR H's at this point in time are much more expensive to kit up with and I am finding that despite my desire for one I don't really want to only carry 5 magazines around, that is just a little short for my liking and the magazines are kind of small for a mid cap.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.