Exercises for Airsoft

Teo

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok so I'm finding that most skirmishes I'm taking off my plate carrier and just running my belt beacuse my carrier is too heavy but I hate doing this. So what exercises would help the most for stuff like load bearing besides general exercise?

Best thing is just cardio maybe a bit more leg and shoulder strength and once you feel comfy just start carrying it whilst exercising (obviously without the RIFS ;). You'll want to make sure you are comfortable with it on, because the fatigue of things digging into shoulders can cause you to tire out a lot faster.

What I tend to do is jog for a good 10 minutes and then move onto doing a 10 second sprint and then back to jogging pace for around 30 seconds and repeat as many times as your feel you can manage. 10 is a good starting point.

It really comes down to 2 things every time. Fitness and weight of gear. Both of which are a pain in the arse really :P

Guest PT247

Try running around with 11 M4 gas mags for a bit, your plate carrier will seem light as a feather after!

Teo your quite young so u wannabe Carefull, best thing to do, once every other day, sit ups-pressups-squats -2 mile jog maybe witn a weighted bag no more than 10k.

And you can build up from there.

If you go in too hard Your probably do some damage and can get underdeveloped muscles n stuff.

• Supporters

I dunno, when I was Teos age I did rugby training 3 times a week, including a match nearly every weekend, ten tors, sailing and various other stupid activities. I was constantly a bit sore and I really knew about it the day after a match but no part of me suffered any permanent damage.

Teenagers are near indestructible, as long as he doesn't start thinking that a 100Kg benchpress is his minimum required standard he'll be fine!

Theres a difference between controlled activity and then vigirous strength building, hes only 13 I think so really hshould be doing core building and light strength stacking.

The best option is to do half back pt. Thats what I do for 3 peaks training. And like I said, start low and work up high,

When I say damage , it will be from breaking too hard, I.e start training with high weights and long distance (like you said about bench press).

You need to start of low and work up to condition your body, especially if your not used to vigirous exercise on a regular basis.

Witch applies to anyone at any age really.

And also it depends on how serious you wanna take your training, if its just a little light training just for airsoft, just run every other day with a bag, and increase distance and weight of bag overtime.

I dunno, when I was Teos age I did rugby training 3 times a week, including a match nearly every weekend, ten tors, sailing and various other stupid activities. I was constantly a bit sore and I really knew about it the day after a match but no part of me suffered any permanent damage.

Teenagers are near indestructible, as long as he doesn't start thinking that a 100Kg benchpress is his minimum required standard he'll be fine!

Yeah I do rugby for school but the season is over. I do mtb and the Airsoft so that is sorta 2 sports.

• Supporters

If you don't have a bike, get one and start using it to go everywhere instead of motor transport. You'll soon be fit.

When I was your age I used to do a 3 mile paper round starting with 2 satchels of papers, then ride to school about 3 miles. I could never eat breakfast once I hit puberty (usually still can't) so the upshot for my body was that I couldn't put an ounce of fat on - whatever was excess calories from what I'd eaten the day before was converted to glycogen by my liver, but before being converted to fat, converted back again to glucose to power my mornings. I used to ride home and do an even longer paper round then (I had to call back to the shop for 1/2 the papers because they wouldn't fit in 2 satchels and trying to ride with more than 2 was a major ballache). Now, TBH, I could pretty much hide behind a lamp post, but my musculature was very well toned. I too used to play rugby for my school and also sprint 100 & 200m for a local club, plus I'd play football with mates for hours at a time, or go swimming, or our own sports = cross between hide & seek / tag on bikes but you captured people and they could be released by uncaptured players (releasio) and team tennis on quad skates, played on a length of street about 80m long and the subject of many disputes since there was no net, oh yeah and fighting - there was fuck all else to do!

I only found out about the glycogen to and fro because I applied to the army at 16 (I was still riding a lot) and rejected on medical grounds due to protein in my piss. Turns out it's a normal side effect of running your body at peak efficiency, but by the time this was understood, mates of mine who joined up a year ahead of me were home on leave and they had become racist, sexist, big mouthed pricks, so I decided against the military... nevertheless, even though I didn't keep up sports much past about 17 the fitness stayed with me into my late 20's.

For those of us that unfortunately have left our teens behind its still something to think about.

For a while know ive been doing high intensity training.

1. First, you warm up for a couple of minutes with some gentle cycling: then you cycle as fast as you possibly can ("hell for leather", as Mosley describes it) for 20 seconds.
  2. Then, you cycle gently again for a couple of minutes while you catch your breath, then do another 20 seconds "flat out".
  3. Then, for a final time, two minutes gentle cycling to catch your breath, followed the third period of 20 seconds at "full throttle".

I did it just to see if it had any benefits after seeing it on horizon and remarkbly with that little exercise I've seen an improvement.

Since then ive done the couch to 5k.

• Supporters

Yeah I do rugby for school but the season is over. I do mtb and the Airsoft so that is sorta 2 sports.

When I was at peak fitness (a loooong time ago) I used to do three 1 hour cycling sessions on the road and then a good 4 hour freeride at the weekend. Worth a try. Your MTB should be fine for a bit of road riding but of you have particularly knobbly tyres you might want to try some slicks/lower profile tyres.

Teo your quite young so u wannabe Carefull, best thing to do, once every other day, sit ups-pressups-squats -2 mile jog maybe witn a weighted bag no more than 10k.

And you can build up from there.

If you go in too hard Your probably do some damage and can get underdeveloped muscles n stuff.

PE staff trained by an nationally renowned expert on weight training quoted to us his take on "growth stunting":

"To stunt the growth of a child with weights is a simple task. You start with a child of two or three,and start training them...you increase them to lift many times their body weight...yeah,you could stunt their growth."

Bear in mind that this is the guy who is called upon in court and for autopsies when somebody dies of a weight training related accident.

Lift all you like brah.

Personally I've found that kettlebells and some heavy deadlifts have really helped me a lot with airsoft. Kettlebells are great for cardio and strength, and you don't even need a heavy kettlebell or spend ages working out with it. 30 minutes three times a week is plenty to stay in good shape :)

Do a martial art, the training you are forced to do builds up strength pretty well.

I do ninjutsu and now i'm stronger than most people in my year at school.

If you can't be arsed, then stay at home, squats, do a lot of them, then when your legs are painful, squat down halfway until your legs are perpendicular and hold it. It's extraordinarily painful but try to hold it for 30 secs. Eventually add more time to hold it.

You can go hill walking for 8 hours everyday for 2 weeks and your legs will be pumped. I went on a 2 week camp with my school where we did at least 11 hours of hill walking everyday and my muscles on my legs came bulging out afterwards.....

Do a martial art, the training you are forced to do builds up strength pretty well.

I do ninjutsu and now i'm stronger than most people in my year at school.

If you can't be arsed, then stay at home, squats, do a lot of them, then when your legs are painful, squat down halfway until your legs are perpendicular and hold it. It's extraordinarily painful but try to hold it for 30 secs. Eventually add more time to hold it.

You can go hill walking for 8 hours everyday for 2 weeks and your legs will be pumped. I went on a 2 week camp with my school where we did at least 11 hours of hill walking everyday and my muscles on my legs came bulging out afterwards.....

I'm a judo man meself ;) really helps spacial awareness and just being efficient without being conservative...I would recommend martial arts *cough judo* to anyone regardless of whether it helps airsoft.

• Supporters

Shotokan for offense, Jujitsu for defence.

Don't let the way Steven Seagal looks like he's fighting in an imaginary doorway the whole time put you off - i think he must have a back problem or something because I was a lot more fluid in competition during my teens. Ironically enough it was an injury I picked up in competition which started the back problems I have now, although the fact that car brakes don't work when they're upside down didn't help. Don't let that put you off though - you don't have to fight competitions to get a lot out of martial arts, excellent balance for one, and for two a confidence in your body, your ability to bring a bigger opponent down, which shows unconsciously when people try to intimidate you and gets you out of fights before they start.

Shotokan for offense, Jujitsu for defence.

Don't let the way Steven Seagal looks like he's fighting in an imaginary doorway the whole time put you off - i think he must have a back problem or something because I was a lot more fluid in competition during my teens. Ironically enough it was an injury I picked up in competition which started the back problems I have now, although the fact that car brakes don't work when they're upside down didn't help. Don't let that put you off though - you don't have to fight competitions to get a lot out of martial arts, excellent balance for one, and for two a confidence in your body, your ability to bring a bigger opponent down, which shows unconsciously when people try to intimidate you and gets you out of fights before they start.

Also is a great thing to know in a "CALL YOUR F***ING HITTTTT!!!!!!" bloodbath haha

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.