Tactical Sten Gun

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Don't shoot me.

I am vaguely aware that I'm committing a crime...

How about adding rails and all the tactical bells and whistles to a sten?

In your posts,feel free to take me to Nuremberg,but also share ideas,and methods of execution.

haha nicely put, good you know its inhumane ;) but honestly if its done right it could look quite cool, the only big problem i can think of is finding rails for it?

haha nicely put, good you know its inhumane ;) but honestly if its done right it could look quite cool, the only big problem i can think of is finding rails for it?

There are universal rail mounts that fit around anything tubular, which defines the Sten.

Can't be worse than the tactical Thomson!

Ohhh that is DISGUSTING YUCK!!!

Even for a heathen sacrilist,that is too far, too far...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaqBpyvPjDQrVRvH4Z4wGjHtHpRR543_Th3JPRRucaqUsmWoKcbsNFuOo

The Thomson looks nice to start with,but the Sten doesn't, ohh I threw up a little....

I think I sense a business opportunity to sell pitchforks and torches, 'cause you'll get lynched by the purists you meet :D

It is your gun though mate, it all depends on the finished product. I can't imagine the sten being kitted out wih rails without looking tacky though.

Ohhh that is DISGUSTING YUCK!!!

Even for a heathen sacrilist,that is too far, too far...

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaqBpyvPjDQrVRvH4Z4wGjHtHpRR543_Th3JPRRucaqUsmWoKcbsNFuOo

The Thomson looks nice to start with,but the Sten doesn't, ohh I threw up a little....

That thompson would be nicer without the M4 front end...if you made one which had the stock handguard design with rails on that it'd be nicer...

I can see the appeal of getting a gun that can take a scope, flashlight and grip. But I don't know if modifying an old style Thompson is the best way to achieve it, for the cost you might be better off with another gun. I doubt the WW2 milsim groups would be happy with a tactical sten and so its more a modern gun but not really. If you are looking for a project then fine but I doubt its got much resale and you loose a key aspect of having a WW2 replica.

Hmm, next you'll be wanting a comfy grip to hold it by :rolleyes:

Love my sten, but as others have said it's yours to do with as you like. Perhaps you could add a realistic silencer then attach rails to that ?

Hmm, next you'll be wanting a comfy grip to hold it by :rolleyes:

Love my sten, but as others have said it's yours to do with as you like. Perhaps you could add a realistic silencer then attach rails to that ?

A suppressor was on the potential list, but I was more leaning towards a smexy flash hider, slimline rails on the receiver tube,unlikely to touch the oh so comfy stock, maybe a pressure switch and laser combo for the trigger guard...endless possibilities.

I say go for it! It might not look pretty, it isn't the most authentic piece of kit - but that doesn't matter. So long as you like it and it works, it's fine.

It's not beyond impossibility for it to happen anyway. A few years back (possibly 5, honestly can't remember), quite a few websites showed that the Philippines military (willing to be corrected) had done a similar thing to their rather old M3 Grease guns. Rails, lights, grips, the works. Absolutely bloody mint. At the time it was an interim thing, until they could afford something else.

The internet response was... interesting. The type of people who furiously masturbate over pictures of 'pure' fire-arms (you know the types I mean; "if it wasn't an official design which saw service, it's heresy") were up in arms, decrying what they called 'sacrilege' of a historic firearm. They completely ignored the justifications of the military that, as a country which lacked a multi-trillion dollar defence budget, they couldn't afford to buy lots of flashy, high-tech, polymer guns covered in rails at the time. And that actually, the modifications worked pretty well.

So seriously, go for it! I look forward to the pictures :P

I did cover some ideas for a tactical sten on page 9 of the Ed let's play a game thread. Best bit was they were all removable if you want to go back to stock. Basically you can get a scope ring with rails on and attach it to the front heat shield instead of the scope. This gives you a top rail, 2 side rails and a clamp underneath so you can clamp it to the rail on a grenade launcher.

41UYJBCFoSL._SL500_SL135_.jpg5_4.jpg

Alternatively remove the front heat shield and clamp one of these to the barrel:

41cEmNJo4cL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

I did cover some ideas for a tactical sten on page 9 of the Ed let's play a game thread. Best bit was they were all removable if you want to go back to stock. Basically you can get a scope ring with rails on and attach it to the front heat shield instead of the scope. This gives you a top rail, 2 side rails and a clamp underneath so you can clamp it to the rail on a grenade launcher.

41UYJBCFoSL._SL500_SL135_.jpg5_4.jpg

Alternatively remove the front heat shield and clamp one of these to the barrel:

41cEmNJo4cL._SL500_SL135_.jpg

That was my plan exactly!

why not epoxy a rail to one of these http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-shotguns-and-grenade-launchers/deuce-airsoft-double-barrel-launchermhtm#.U2daT4FdW0Q then mount it under the sten

Dwarf-grenade-launcher-open-shells.jpg

(double barrelled masterkey anyone?)

The internet response was... interesting. The type of people who furiously masturbate over pictures of 'pure' fire-arms (you know the types I mean; "if it wasn't an official design which saw service, it's heresy")

Surely, if the Philippines Army did it then it is an official dsesign which has seen service?

drum mag on the side perhaps? i think it could be done well if you dont just slap one thing on and think it works on it own.

id love to do a tactical tommy properly, not rails but modern pistol styled grip, red dot sight built to fit to where the rear metal sight is, a stock thats shorter and maby more like modern sniper ones(slightly collapsable) and under barrel either rail for grip or something like an aug grip. metal work other than that is untouched... only other thing is probably to much hassle, to bring the fire slector triggers lower so they are usable by the trigger hand...

A drum mag would interfere with the one advantage of the sten, changing mags whilst prone.

Also, it'd mess up the shape completely and you'd have no grip

You don't hold it by the mag! You're supposed to hold the heat shield at the front and try not to lose your little finger as shells eject :D

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.