Prescription googles glazing

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I recently bought a pair of Bolle Raider glasses/googles. They seal all around and they take a prescription carrier that I could get my glasses prescription made for. These are exact glasses from Bolle and I found a seller on Amazon:

http://www.bolle-safety.com/tactical-spectacles/raider-raiderkit

On wednesday this week I took them into Boots Opticians where my prescription was done a few weeks ago and unfortunately its taken them all week to not manage to work out how to glaze them. I walked down the road to Specsavers this afternoon and within 20 minutes of first entering their store I walked out with glasses glazed, they did the work immediately, for £39. Frankly I think that is service above and beyond and if anyone in London is looking to get glasses glazed immediately Woolwich Arsenals Specsavers has a 15 year veteran glass fitter who has done loads of these. Once I walked into the right shop it was quick and relatively cheap to get the glazing done.

• Supporters

Are these not the ones which fogged like Jimmy Saville's in a junior school?

They are :-(

I will update on what happens, I am trying a different anti fog on them initially (mine does not work on glass) and then I might either need a reglaze with polycarbonate or just go all the way replace the lot with a fan based googles. All in all it sucks.

• Supporters

Agreed. But please stop calling them googles!

They are full seal glasses I guess, or perhaps small googles. If I use the strap instead of the over ear bits they really do look like googles. If I use the over ear they look like glasses. The full seal is optional (except when using the prescription carrier as its needed to hold it in) so I wont ever not use it in "googles" mode. Not quite sure what to call them really, most people looking at them assume they are glasses until they see they fully seal all around.

• Supporters

Goggles ffs! They don't search the internet, do they!?!

For future reference for anyone reading this thread (and honestly not to piss on your chips BrightCandle) people really need to stop paying high street opticians their ridiculous prices. I got mine done by the guy at http://www.specs-by-post.com a few years back. I must have sent at least a dozen people his way since then too. He'll glaze inserts like this to your prescription for about £12.

• Supporters

I used Andy Bourne for mine ( http://www.tacticaloptician.co.uk/ ). Lovely chap, glazed an ESS ViceRx insert for me £35 +£5.95 return postage. Personally I wouldn't trust Specsavers to tell me the correct time let alone get my prescription right (simple short sightedness prescription that they have managed to fuck up every time I've used them).

• Supporters

Goggles ffs! They don't search the internet, do they!?!

Comedy aside - "Google" is only called that because they were originally going to call the site "Goggle" but misspelled it.

• Supporters

That's incorrect. They wanted to call it the number 'googol' but misspelled that.

My bad.

Your punishment is to try and fit the number googol nonchalantly into a conversation in the next 24 hours. If you choose to write it you can do so instead, but you cannot write the word, you must express it in its numerical form:

100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

• Supporters

Your punishment is to try and fit the number googol nonchalantly into a conversation in the next 24 hours. If you choose to write it you can do so instead, but you cannot write the word, you must express it in its numerical form:

100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

You googoly-eyed fuck!

Tonight I tried fogtech wipes, which is about as expensive as anti fog can get and supposedly its the best solution out there (better than catcrap supposedly). I applied it about 30 minutes before the game was due to start and its meant to last the entire night, but I took some spares with me incase it ran out. I applied it to the inside of the goggles and to both sides of the prescription lens.

In the first game all was well, I could see great and didn't have any real fog or rain out. But when I got into the safe zone I could see there was liquid on the lens so I cleaned that off and went back in. Then I got Instant rain out, didn't even walk the 10metres out of the safe zone to the game zone before I was blinded. So it went on like that all night. I did reapply the fogtech later in the evening but by that point I was sweating heavily and the anti fog was ineffective against my fully sweating state. What I ended up doing was wiping the rain out off in the middle of the game with a finger (dangerous!) and then getting a minute or so of clear lens and using that to make my moves and fights and then ducking back under cover when I lost the ability to see, it got me killed quite a lot.

As before the problem was entirely with the prescription carriers. The main polycarbonate defensive lenses don't seem to fog/rain out, its just the prescription lens. So far after a week Bolle has not got back to me about getting another carrier so I can try some polycarbonate lens instead of the plastic ones I currently have which is really awful service. It was better this week with fogtech because it did last longer than the op drops from before but it still wasn't sufficient to do the job.

• Supporters

^^Downer...

I made my own inserts from old glasses. Quick Dremel and some super glue. Job done!!

• 2 weeks later...

Bolle never got back to me and having had two games with total 100% no vision I decided to try fans. Specsavers in all their amazingness lost the nose clip for the prescription carriers (sigh) so I had to play tonight with some contacts and my new Goggles - Desert locusts with a Fan. These work, simple as that. The fan kept the grand majority of the fogging at bay, it wasn't 100%, I did at times have a bit of rainout on the glass but the contact + desert locusts + the fan running did the job. Really happy with that solution its basically solved my problem.

Now I need to go to desert locust and see if I can get just a nose clip without spending even more money correcting specsavers stupidity. Maybe they will find it but I don't hold out any hope there.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.