Two tone coming off??

Mentalmason

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

It's true enough that you don't actually need UKARA to be legitimately in possession of an RIF, after all, there is literally no mention of UKARA in the VCR Act of 2006 which deals with RIFs legislation, the Act merely mentions that you need a legit defence reason to have one; something such as: re-enacting, museum work, film and TV productions or similar. But I'm assuming that the original thread question, and the fact that the MP5 in question is two-toned, means the user may not be covered by one of these defences.

Personally, I'm covered by two of them, I use RIFs in day-to-day my work to do post-production movie special effects, and I do airsofting too, so I'm kind of 'belt and braces' where Section 36 of the VCR Act of 2006 is concerned, thus not dependent on UKARA registration anyway, which in fact is more about protecting retailers from prosecution for selling RIFs to non-legit users.

Although in fairness, UKARA registration would aid in your defence if the police decided to feel your collar and the CPS went for it as well, nevertheless, as you say, several fellow airsofters corroborating your defence would probably work just as well as a UKARA registration.

there is a law going through that may demad all airsoft guns in state of California

or Los Angles to be COMPLETELY feckin ORANGE by January

to avoid any fatal shootings of airsofters ffs

orange tip may no longer be enough:

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/04/a-modern-primer-to-california-law-regarding-airsoft-guns/#axzz3BvNpRPx3

uuuhhhmmmm isn't real problem too many real firearms available too easily coz of

some constitutionial right bollox - dunno how close but heard it had passed quite a

few stages and nearing its final hearing/signing to become law

jeeeeez sucks to live in CA/LA in new year

IIRC in "Sons of Guns" about Red Jacket Firearms, the owners daughter started a new line in custom real M4's aimed at women, with bright yellow furniture so the distinction between real and airsoft is still blurred lol!

Act merely mentions that you need a legit defence reason to have one

it doesn't say that at all. You don't need any reason or defence to own a RIF. You need one to buy or make a RIF.

Being a regular Skirmisher is a defence. UKARA doesn't enter in to it, UKARA is a defence for the retailer or anyone selling a RIF.

The mad thing is that there are sensible "Airsofters" worrying about the legalites of RIF'S, IF's and changing one to another and yet anyone who wants to be iresponsible with one or use it for a crime will have no worries about changing the colour!

I appreciate its been gone over lots of times before but suspect that as long as you are responsible with the IF / RIF you are unlikely to find yourself in trouble.

I am not suggesting it is ok to intentionally change the apperance in any way is ok, there are laws and it would not do the sport any good to advocate breaking them. Just one other point I always try to be discreet when transporting mine and even when at a site try to keep them out of the public eye.

Right, I know I always play 'that guy' on these threads, but just to clear a couple of things up for people...

You don't need any reason or defence to own a RIF. You need one to buy or make a RIF.

Being a regular Skirmisher is a defence.

I know you're probably talking in 'practical' terms here, just just for clarity it is not illegal to own a RIF, as you point out, but it's not illegal to buy one either, so what you need a defence for, legally speaking, is selling, manufacturing or importing.

'Regular skirmisher' is technically not a defence either; I could 'skirmish regularly' on my mate's land but that wouldn't qualify me for a defence. The wording of the actual 'airsoft defence' does not include 'regular' or 'skimish' in it at all. Which leads me onto:

... there is literally no mention of UKARA in the VCR Act of 2006 which deals with RIFs legislation, the Act merely mentions that you need a legit defence reason to have one; something such as: re-enacting, museum work, film and TV productions or similar.

This is true in relation to the original VCRA 2006, but a defence to be used by airsofters was added in a later related document ('VCRA 2006 Regulations 2007') due to lobbying from groups like the UKARA (and since most airsoft cannot be said to be 're-enacting'). The wording of the defence that was 'made for airsofters' is that you can sell, manufacture or import a RIF if you are providing it for:

"the acting out of military or law enforcement scenarios for the purposes of recreation"

and that this will take place at a site with third party liability insurance.

That's how vague it is. Good stuff.

• 3 years later...
On 02/05/2014 at 22:30, Mentalmason said:

Hey guys, I have an MP5 that has it's stock and Handguard two toned green and here's my issue. I wrapped some strips of extremely sticky camo tape around my Handguard and after removing it, helluva lot of the two tone green game with it, giving a really flaky green left over. This was an accident. But after rinsing it off to get the flakey green specs off so it doesn't litter my room, I'm wondering this: what does the law state of your two tone simply wears off (or in this case peals off)? Because I don't want to be in the wrong here.

The stock is still fine though. And tbh the stock is like the size of the gun itself on these little beauties.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated deeply.

Cheers folks.

~M.

A similar thing has recently happened to me, the red twotone became so patchy i just stripped the rest off. 

Did you get your mp5 "re-twotoned" or did you leave it ?  Can anyone sugget whether i should leave it black or repaint it.

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Callsign.Raptor_ said:

the red twotone became so patchy i just stripped the rest off

Then you've already committed the offence.

Nobody will ever know or care, if you use the RIF sensibly.

If you don't use it sensibly, then you'll have bigger problems than the technical offence of modifying it into a RIF.

20 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Then you've already committed the offence.

Nobody will ever know or care, if you use the RIF sensibly.

If you don't use it sensibly, then you'll have bigger problems than the technical offence of modifying it into a RIF.

i stripped it in order to get a fresh surface to reapply the paint, im just waiting for the paint to arrive :) so that i can undo this 'offence'

Would this make the rifle legal once again ?

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Callsign.Raptor_ said:

so that i can undo this 'offence'

If you had a defence at the time when you did it (i.e. airsoft skirmishing) then you're good.  If not, you can't undo the heinous crime, although you can hide the evidence.  That's perverting the course of justice though, a far more serious offence.

If that sound like a silly argument, well, it's a damn silly bit of legislation, and not something that you should lose any sleep over.

9 hours ago, Callsign.Raptor_ said:

Would this make the rifle legal once again ?

It's legal now.  There's no offence of owning a RIF.  Possession in public is an offence whether it's a RIF or an IF, with the same reasonable excuse - being on the way to or from an airsoft skirmish.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

If you had a defence at the time when you did it (i.e. airsoft skirmishing) then you're good.  If not, you can't undo the heinous crime, although you can hide the evidence.  That's perverting the course of justice though, a far more serious offence.

If that sound like a silly argument, well, it's a damn silly bit of legislation, and not something that you should lose any sleep over.

It's legal now.  There's no offence of owning a RIF.  Possession in public is an offence whether it's a RIF or an IF, with the same reasonable excuse - being on the way to or from an airsoft skirmish.

Thank you all very much, this was extremely helpful :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.