Two tone coming off??

Mentalmason

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, I have an MP5 that has it's stock and Handguard two toned green and here's my issue. I wrapped some strips of extremely sticky camo tape around my Handguard and after removing it, helluva lot of the two tone green game with it, giving a really flaky green left over. This was an accident. But after rinsing it off to get the flakey green specs off so it doesn't litter my room, I'm wondering this: what does the law state of your two tone simply wears off (or in this case peals off)? Because I don't want to be in the wrong here.

The stock is still fine though. And tbh the stock is like the size of the gun itself on these little beauties.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated deeply.

Cheers folks.

~M.

Okay, thanks guys. Very helpful for the most part...apart from the SAS bit, that was different.

Thanks,

~M.

My personal opinion. I might or might not be wrong:

If the paint comes off due to normal wear and tear, I'd say no crime has been committed. I'd probably say no crime has been committed here either, however, if it was me I would repaint it just to be on the safe side. Now no one can claim that you did it deliberately.

atb tz

My personal opinion. I might or might not be wrong:

If the paint comes off due to normal wear and tear, I'd say no crime has been committed. I'd probably say no crime has been committed here either, however, if it was me I would repaint it just to be on the safe side. Now no one can claim that you did it deliberately.

atb tz

Preferably the aforementioned fluorescent pink - just to be safe :D

Why does it matter! There's no law against owning an IF or a RIF. There is a law against manufacturing a RIF, though I doubt anyone could accuse you of slowly rubbing paint off to do this. That said, if you've ever played airsoft then you're basically immune to prosecution even if you just painted the whole thing black on purpose anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

being pink isn't enough for an American to differentiate between a real gun and airsoft gun?

then again, a blank firing attachment on a real SA80 is yellow. We need to paint a lump of metal on the end of the barrel to show that it is loaded with blanks and not live rounds

• Supporters

there is a law going through that may demad all airsoft guns in state of California

or Los Angles to be COMPLETELY feckin ORANGE by January

to avoid any fatal shootings of airsofters ffs

orange tip may no longer be enough:

http://www.ammoland.com/2014/04/a-modern-primer-to-california-law-regarding-airsoft-guns/#axzz3BvNpRPx3

uuuhhhmmmm isn't real problem too many real firearms available too easily coz of

some constitutionial right bollox - dunno how close but heard it had passed quite a

few stages and nearing its final hearing/signing to become law

jeeeeez sucks to live in CA/LA in new year

being pink isn't enough for an American to differentiate between a real gun and airsoft gun?

then again, a blank firing attachment on a real SA80 is yellow. We need to paint a lump of metal on the end of the barrel to show that it is loaded with blanks and not live rounds

Damn Right you do.

Damn Right!

• Supporters

It's not a problem if TT is coming off its general wear and tear and is to be expected nothing to worry about at all. You only have to worry if you purposely remove it.

• Supporters

At one point Actionhobbies were selling WE Big birds (with blue frames) as RIF's so that isn't all surprising.

Lol seriously? I thought the whole point of those blue framed pistols was for them to be sold as IFs.

• Supporters

Lol seriously? I thought the whole point of those blue framed pistols was for them to be sold as IFs.

Seriously. They put in the description something like "because of the fact that the real steel versions use the same coloured frames, these are to be sold as RIF's."

I think they've updated it now. Was pretty funny at the time.

It's not a problem if TT is coming off its general wear and tear and is to be expected nothing to worry about at all. You only have to worry if you purposely remove it.

Not if he can show he is a regular SKirmisher. he can remove it with no problem. he has a defence.

• Supporters

Not if he can show he is a regular SKirmisher. he can remove it with no problem. he has a defence.

I know that but that's not what is being asked

Personally, I think you might be on shaky ground unless you are UKARA registered, because when you put sticky camo tape over it, you were technically making it potentially more realistic-looking, and the law is very specific about the act of doing that being classed as 'manufacturing' 'a realistic appearance'. That is fine if you are registered and using it for airsofting at a UKARA site and transporting it in a case or the boot of your car, but otherwise, then it is most definitely contravening the law.

Essentially the CPS will see it like this: In removing the tape, and as a result, the paint, it was not an accident that the paint came off, but occurred as a result of an attempt to make the thing look more convincingly realistic. This is as opposed to it simply wearing off, which would be more arguable as a defence.

Of course if you are using it for skirmishing and have a UKARA registration, then it's no big deal, but if you are not using it at a UKARA site, and perhaps going in the woods or fields to have a battle with some friends or some such, then the gun is supposed to be easily distinguishable from a real firearm. This is for your protection more than anyone else, since if an armed response unit shows up, they might well shoot first and ask questions later, and you couldn't really blame them for doing so if they thought someone had an MP5 that was camo'd up.

Personally, I think you might be on shaky ground unless you are UKARA registered, because when you put sticky camo tape over it, you were technically making it potentially more realistic-looking, and the law is very specific about the act of doing that being classed as 'manufacturing' 'a realistic appearance'. That is fine if you are registered and using it for airsofting at a UKARA site and transporting it in a case or the boot of your car, but otherwise, then it is most definitely contravening the law.

Essentially the CPS will see it like this: In removing the tape, and as a result, the paint, it was not an accident that the paint came off, but occurred as a result of an attempt to make the thing look more convincingly realistic. This is as opposed to it simply wearing off, which would be more arguable as a defence.

Of course if you are using it for skirmishing and have a UKARA registration, then it's no big deal, but if you are not using it at a UKARA site, and perhaps going in the woods or fields to have a battle with some friends or some such, then the gun is supposed to be easily distinguishable from a real firearm. This is for your protection more than anyone else, since if an armed response unit shows up, they might well shoot first and ask questions later, and you couldn't really blame them for doing so if they thought someone had an MP5 that was camo'd up.

however UKARA isn't NEEDED. If you have any defence, e.g pictures of you skirmishing, or say a mobile number of the site so thy can talk to the site owner who can verify you do play, then you will be fine. I have a defence and have two black guns, one painted one not.

Albeit, I got given the black gun and the guy who bought it never skirmished in his life, just got it from the war and peace show. I don't have UKARA yet, however I have pictures of me clearly skirmishing and the site owner is willing to back me up and say I skirmish regularly (or as often as I can) because i do :)

If I have got anything wrong please tell me ;)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.