maybe a daft question regarding lipo batteries

Fumps

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I need a charge cable for my lipo's so my geeky mate is making one for me but he's just asked me if the batteries are standard or reverse polarity...

I have no idea about this stuff, can anyone help ?

Be VERY careful.

If you short a LiPO battery because he wires it wrong, it will spoil your whole day.

If he's that geeky, he should know by looking at them.

Yeh that's what I'm thinking, we are communicating via text as I'm at work. May have to send him a PIC.

I work with electronics and his question makes me wonder if he knows what he's doing and whether he understands how LiPOs are wired. i might be wrong but when its comes to electrics, there are a lot of well meaning amateurs about and for a few quid, its not worth a house fire.

I work with electronics and his question makes me wonder if he knows what he's doing and whether he understands how LiPOs are wired. i might be wrong but when its comes to electrics, there are a lot of well meaning amateurs about and for a few quid, its not worth a house fire.

Hi mate, yes we have it sorted. He works for an rc car shop & recently have had a few peeps with airsoft batteries that were wired in reverse for some reason. He was making sure & not assuming anything as I'm lost with this kind of thing

• Supporters

You say that, but I recently bought a Deans to Tamiya adaptor from an RC spares shop and it was wired in reverse to the other adaptor I have. There may be different conventions applied depending on the application....

Cheers guys.

Another even more stupid question:

If your standard airsoft lipo is reverse to a rc std lead ( the battery being red lead to circle & black to square sides of the connector, the charging lead being the opposite)

Is it better to change the leads over in the connector or can you simply switch over the banana leads that go into your charger ?

I'm not going to try the second option but the red & black wires look the same to me just different sleeves.

May be a really stupid question but I'm new to electrical stuff like this.

• Supporters

Cheers guys.

Another even more stupid question:

If your standard airsoft lipo is reverse to a rc std lead ( the battery being red lead to circle & black to square sides of the connector, the charging lead being the opposite)

Is it better to change the leads over in the connector or can you simply switch over the banana leads that go into your charger ?

I'm not going to try the second option but the red & black wires look the same to me just different sleeves.

May be a really stupid question but I'm new to electrical stuff like this.

If your battery is wired reverse you're still going to have issues when you try and connect it to the gun! Better to just make sure you get it the right way around in the first place and probably safest to get the wiring done with Deans as they seem to share a common wiring standard!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.