Fixing, Gears and motor advice

Lambster

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys.

Played a game yesterday and my gun kept jamming. Then all of a sudden it started shooting completely on its on. I flicked it to safe and it carried on until the battery died. It was red hot. Both the motor and battery. I think the battery is fucked now.

As soon as I connected a new battery, off it went again.

Guys there seem to think the copper connections were jammed.

I've taken the gearbox to bits but everything popped out so I couldn't see what the actual problem was. I'm just hoping it's ok.

So now I plan to rewire, new gears, new motor and possibly a mosfet.

So I'm looking at shs high speed gears, or Ultimate high speed. Then a high torque motor. Apparently this gives really good trigger response. I'll likely go for a JBU high torque long shaft.

Not really sure when brands are good on price and quality.

Any suggestions from anyone else?

I need to get this working before next Sunday.

Cheers.

• Supporters

Well, it's unfortunate that you've already popped the gearbox because your initial problem is electrical and may well have been fixable without actually opening the shell. It could have been the trigger contacts jammed, but it could also have been a short circuit through some part of the gun body. You'd be best to have a good look at your wiring, even if you are planning to rewire, to find out if this could have happened and where, to avoid it in future. You should also have a good look at the trigger mechanism and see if you can replicate a jam - maybe you can fix it, maybe better to just get another.

If you do get a MOSFET, you must pay great attention to making sure you do not get even the tiniest short, because it will fry the semiconducting properties of the thing. I'd say you may as well do it now while the gun is in bits, because they are the way forward. In my experience there is no benefit from silver plated lo-res wiring over ordinary 16AWG copper power cable well soldered, so don't waste your money. There is a small but noticeable benefit from soldering your motor connections rather than using spade connectors however. May as well swap to Deans connectors while you're at it, as they are noticeably better than either small or large Tamiya.

SHS high speed gears are excellent / can't comment on Ultimate as I've never used 'em. The theory of using a high torque motor with high speed gears is that it makes up for the pulling power you lose with the lower gear ratio, but in reality, with the springs we commonly use in the UK, most standard motors will not struggle, especially once you have the gun wired with 16AWG, Deans & MOSFET. What is the base gun, btw?

It's a G&G GR16 CQW Rush.

I have noticed some bare wire just where the wire comes out of the gear box to the motor. That was possibly touching the gearbox housing.

I've ordered the SHS high speed 13:1 gear set, a new hop up rubber as mine was randomly swinging shots left and right, and a 2014 Burst Wizard King Kong Super 2 MOSFET with deans. Bought a low of deans and some 16awg wire.

I was planning on shimming the gearbox anyway so at least I can get that done and a re grease. Someone is lending me a gun for Sunday now so I'm not in as much as a panic. Seeing this as an opportunity to learn and upgrade.

One thing I did notice was that the trigger mech seemed fine but the moving part's copper is black. That doesn't seem right to me. I think my mate has bought some new trigger parts so I may replace that or just clean it up. I imagine I'll be spending Saturday on YouTube. Lol.

Any advice on motor brand? Also thinking of a new spring. Im firing at aboit 310 right now with stock so thinking of getting an m90 or m100.

I'm down in Poole right now so going to nip in to z1 and get a few bits. Desperate times...

• Supporters

Just clean the contacts. Be sure that the fixed contact points are not burnt to the point where they could break. If it's just some burn marks there that can be cleaned then you can keep them. The FET will protect them in the future.

• Supporters

Hmmmmm... black trigger contacts. That is evidence of more than micro-arcing, which is usual when the power runs through the switch and causes pitting in the surface of the contacts and grey/bluish/greenish-grey deposits. A MOSFET will prevent micro-arcing, but actual burning strikes me as a more serious problem. I would replace the trigger unit.

A CM16 ought to have an M100 spring in it already, unless someone had downgraded it before you? Anyway you should investigate the cylinder compression and the air seal nozzle.

The CM16's can come in a bit hot for a lot of sites in the UK (>328) so its perfectly possible that the spring has been downgraded to meet the limits.

I'm leaving the spring for now.

What I'm really struggling wit us finding a trustworthy site to get a SHS high speed gear set that have them in stock. Signal is a joke down here which is making it more difficult

• Supporters

the cheapest hands down but it'll be a week or so

the best prices for quick delivery (1 or 2 days tops)

Of course, if you can beat those prices, ak2m4, excellent! Let us know and I for 1 will recommend you to anyone who asks.

You'll have to email Tommy/Emma sales @ bullseyecountrysport .co.uk to ask when they'll have them next (they are very helpful)

Edited by Ian_Gere
noticed OOS

Hi Ian

My prices aren't too far from the HK prices and some cases the same...So far I've found CORE and ZCI gears offer pretty good value.

Here's what I can do for the forum members...If interested message me online and I'll get back to you.

All SHS Supershooter gears for £23 all in 1st class, same or next day delivery.

http://www.ak2m4.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=shs%20gear

All CORE gears for £16 all in 1st class, same or next day delivery.

http://www.ak2m4.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=core%20gear

All ZCI CNC 3mm shaft gears for £17 all in 1st class, same or next day delivery.

http://www.ak2m4.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=zci%203mm

All ZCI CNC 4mm shaft gear sets for £20 all in 1st class, same or next day delivery (these include bushings and shims and reenforced 4mm shaft)

http://www.ak2m4.co.uk/index.php?route=product/search&search=zci%204mm

Personally I've been really impressed with the ZCI gears, but also haven't been able to fault the CORE or SHS one's yet.

All done!

Got the gears from Pete, got other bits from all over.

I now have a gearbox with SHS 13:1 high speed gears, JBU High Torque motor, SHS trigger switch. Also installed a Burst Wizard Super 2 MOSFET. Had an issue today as the piston wasn't seated correctly so had to borrow a gun but got back home and fixed it. Seems to be firing well. Chuffed with it. Just hope it holds up.

All done!

Got the gears from Pete, got other bits from all over.

I now have a gearbox with SHS 13:1 high speed gears, JBU High Torque motor, SHS trigger switch. Also installed a Burst Wizard Super 2 MOSFET. Had an issue today as the piston wasn't seated correctly so had to borrow a gun but got back home and fixed it. Seems to be firing well. Chuffed with it. Just hope it holds up.

Just don't blame me if it breaks down again :P Although it was my fault the piston was not seated properly.

Glad it all worked out for you. Those were my very last SHS High Speed gears as well! :-)

Trying to get in touch with SHS for re-order but they are an absolute nightmare! Never return emails, never send the correct stock..... They seriously lack any customer support, guessing they are just busy and push the smaller orders to the bottom of the pile.

I'd heard from other places that they are still being manufactured mate. Mid May to June other places are expecting them to turn up.

Cheers Lambster. I'm due to put in my re-order with ZCI next week so hopefully get a closer look on how their motors and gears have progressed. I'm trying to get them to provide free samples that I can give away to the community in exchange for reviews.

• Supporters

I'll happily review any V3 gearbox stuff - I've always got at least 1 in pieces. Likewise barrels, motors, hop rubbers, AK hop units, BB's, batteries...

Sure Ian, I'd gladly have you down as a V3 reviewer :-) AK's don't get enough loving....

It will probably be motors, gears, pistons and cylinders in regard to seeing how well they work in 3rd party gearboxes etc. I'll be sure to keep you informed.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.