Card Games?

Finius

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Anyone here play any CCG/TCG?

I've just discovered I have a local games club who cover everything from the well know games like Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon and MTG, all the way through to obscure games fresh off of things like Kickstarter etc. and, being the MASSIVE nerd that I am, I feel like having a throw.

Was just wondering if anyone has any experience with these sort of games and which games/starter sets they'd recommend?

Cheers!

Oh wow, never knew that side of you....

I used to play yugioh ALOT.

I knew everything and every card and all the rules and strategies... but... I recently lost interest because my friend's don't play it and the forums are shyte. Forums are full off "MY DECK IS BETTA THAN EVERYTHING ELSE AND ANY1 WHO CRITICISEZ IT WILL DIE!"

Well, i stopped playing for a few months.... so i've gone shabby and may have forgotten quite a few rules; the rules of yugioh are a lot more complex than most newbies think. There's a lot to learn about timing and when it misses and what effect goes first and resolving chain links.

So, to start off, it's good to buy a basic starter deck or a structure deck (about £10?)and learn what goes on in them. It's also ideal to keep up to date with the meta (popular). You can check them on websites and it basically tells you what archetypes are popular at the moment or what is being overused. Overused generally means they have a good chance of winning and it's good to check those out.

What more important is synergy. You need cards that will all work together in unison; you can't just throw in random crap and expect to win. There's a reason why there are archetypes; a group of cards that can support each other. And some archetypes can even support others or are designed to support others like for example, the archetype Geargias. They are designed to help machine type monsters like Scrap.

There are also deck sizes and limitations. The least amount of cards you can have is 40 cards and it's best to stick at 40. Maximum currently is 60 but you don't want that. You want to get your powerhouse cards as quickly as possible, unless you are trying to stall your opponent for a purpose (Final Countdown decks). So most people still to 40 cards, no more, no less.

So........ that's my basic how-to on yugioh for now. It's all about luck. Also, an archetype I strongly recommend you look at are "Six Samurai" cards. They weren't overpowering when they were first released, but when support for those cards came out later on (few years later....), they became an almost unstoppable archetype and everyone including me started to use them. But now, they more and more cards are being designed to counter them and some are very successful, so they aren't as overpowered as they were back then but they can still be if fought against the right deck. Still work a good look.

Have fun....

Try "Cards Against Humanity" or its online clone "Pretend You're Xyzzy". If you are a sick minded guy (like me) then you will really enjoy it. (I'm usually online under the name Hush)

• Supporters

So I decided to go down the MTG route, for a few reasons; first and foremost because the local gaming club has a much bigger MTG following than any other cardgame. I've also been playing a lot of hearthstone recently and the gameplay seems quite similar.

Now I've decided to go down the route Frizzle suggested though for actually getting myself established. I've picked up an M14 Core Intro Pack (the green one because it seems to match my overall play-style with anything strategic - something along the lines of smash, then, if that doesn't work, smash more), I'm still waiting on this to arrive but I'm expecting good things! And a D20 life counter thing (called a 'spindown' but I'm not sure why)

I've also picked up the M14 Deckbuilders Toolkit, which HAS arrived, and I am painfully impressed. Presentation is lovely, cards are excellent quality and for less than £15, I've got 285 cards, which are split fairly evenly between the colours/types of card etc.

The plan is to use the 60 card intro deck to learn, as it is, with no cards changed. As I get more confident, I'll swap out the cards I like least from the deck with my favorite equivalents from the toolkit/any boosters I pick up, with a view, eventually to completely building my own deck.

I'm going to actually pop into the local store tomorrow to check things out and will hopefully pop along for my first game next week...

Now just to explain to the misses that I have another new, expensive, geeky hobby...

Now just to explain to the misses that I have another new, expensive, geeky hobby...

You will soon come to see that some singular cards, can cost more than some airsoft equipment :P

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.