G36 - las gun how would you do it

adam bussey

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

right the questions up and I'm going to try and turn my G36 into a lasgun without permanent mods, so how would you do it?

Edited by adam bussey

Without permanent modification or a whole new body It's impossible. You can however recycle as many G36 parts as possible.

I'd go for a simpler Kantrael MG Short,Since It's a very simple shape. Use the G36 mag as a 'long type' battery in it or something.

Ia11-79-lasgun.jpg

Parts from the G36 I'd use-the stock,magazine,mag well and internals.

Otherwise I'd make a body mold out of wood and send it to a company which does consumer plastic casting.

The G36 is simply too different to any Lasgun patterns to be used and look accurate

If this was just a simple 'make it look more futuristic' thing instead I'd just buy this furniture conversion kit, or install the M4 stock converter and buy a futuristic looking M4 stock.

I'd also get a few of these mags if you can deal with 20rnd lo-caps. They'd break up the outline of the G36 and make it look more streamlined and alternative. Could be nice if you upgraded to DMR-spec?

Maybe one of these RIS kits for a built in suppressor or a custom long and wide flash suppressor? You could take a suppressor to a milling machine if you have access to one and cut 6 evenly spaced slots out of it with a slot drill? That'd make it look really cool, like a massive flash hider.

^^If you don't like the idea of buying a suppressor and chopping bits out of it consider a futuristic flash hider like this one.

Or you could forget long weapons and use almost completely stock parts to create something like this:

g36sc_02.jpg

^^Just a simple 'futuristic G36' google search brought this up

Just get the XM-8 body kit

300px-Xm8_sideview.jpg

We're offering alternatives for you Adam, because as UTJ said (in the first post in this thread) you would not be able to make a Warhammer 40K style Lasrifle without permanent mods of your existing weapon or making a complete new exterior from scratch.

silhouetted a G36C and a Lasrifle- It's far from it but pretty close. What I've added is essentially a big chunk of plastic that covers the magwell and the handuard,It can be pinned via the handguard pin and the pin for the magwell. The barrel can be easily milled out of aluminium or cut out of PVC with a dremel.

Personally I think Jcheese's suggestion of simply building a new body and just recycling G36 parts is the best option. The G36 does not look grimdark enough to be a lasrifle.

e0JaE4Y.png

Best thing to do is this:

Take a G36K variant. With the scope carry handle cut off the carry handle part (I know modding) but its a cheap part. Then leave the front of the carry handle off the gun, Try and get a shorter barrel length and get a mock suppressor. With that screw it on and then mark an angle from the top edge back down to be similar shape to a lasgun. Cut that back so you have the right shape barrel end. Then with the spare barrel you should have fit it within the mock suppressor so that it comes out slightly. Perfect end barrel shape. Maybe change the magwel to an M4 variant to get a vertical mag. Use the G36CV type stock as that is most similar.

Really you cannot manage to a project like this without modding.

Using that K variant scope makes it look like its using one of the scopes that fit on the heavy weapons Imperial guard teams that fits to a Lasgun to make a sort of DMR (even though they are meant for the weapons teams)

• 5 years later...
  • Supporters
On 19/04/2014 at 15:26, Unrustle_Thine_Jimmies said:

The G36 is simply too different to any Lasgun patterns to be used and look accurate

On 19/04/2014 at 18:06, TacMaster said:

you would not be able to make a Warhammer 40K style Lasrifle without permanent mods of your existing weapon or making a complete new exterior from scratch.

Hallowe'en challenge accepted. ;)

• Supporters

"G36 lasgun conversion" turned it up.  I've been minded to do some 40K Imperial Guard toy gnu dress up for a while, and have just started on the body armour[*].

The gnu itself is trickier, but I reckon swaddling a G36 in EVA foam should do it.  It'll come out chunky and oversized, but that's apropos for the grimdark.  I reckon it should be possible to make a complete sleeve that slides over the gnu, from the front backwards, and another piece for the stock that slides on from the top downwards.  Good enough for space army work.

If it doesn't work out, I've got an shortie M4 with a bit of a hooky air seal that might do instead.

Or in extremis, I might just laspistol my AEP.

[*] Caveat: I'll have to be super aware of hits, but then again I often call "hits" where someone has just pointed their gnu in my direction and pulled the trigger, regardless of whether I felt anything or not.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Here we go.  Both the toy space gnu and outfit are still works in progress, I had to rush everything a bit for this weekend. The gnu needs the M4 magwell adapter and VN straight shortie mag, more twiddly bits and a red torch shoved up the fake barrel, but if you want to make a chunky lasgun (and everything's chunky in the grimdark) then you really can just wrap a G36 in EVA foam (which is also what I've used for the armour).

The basic construction is 8 pieces:

#1: long contiguous side piece

#2: stock top (about 5cm wide, IIRC)

#3: vertical piece between stock and top

#4: top piece (about 6m wide, IIRC)

#5: front piece (shield shaped)

#6: magwell front

#7: magwell rear (a small piece just below the mag release)

#8 = #1 other side piece

image.png.6a2356b64e68bea8e4db2bce1660e8e8.png

Curve in both sides in front of the magwell to make a handguard, use some bits of PVC waste pipe as a fake barrel, whatever you've got to hand for the top tube and sights, bit of grip tape, twiddlies, and you're done.  Impact adhesive or hot glue to hold it all together.  The foam over the stock is heated and pressed in so that it's contoured around the hinge, which helps to keep everything nice and snug.  There's no wobble in use and with some basic sights cut and dremmelled into the top posts it's accurate enough for CQB.

I've left it open up the back (the rear of the real stock is just visible) and all along underneath the stock and trigger up to the magwell (there's a small #7 cross piece at the back of the magwell at the bottom, underneath the release button).  This means the G36 can just slide straight and out from the back.  Cut some holes for the rear sling mount and the bumpy bit on the right hand side (still visible through a hole that I haven't yet covered) and they'll key into the foam and hold it nice and securely.  The G36 is intact and unmodified apart from the rear sight being removed to help it fit, and the front rails just for lightness.  I can get a small carabiner in to the sling mount through the hole in the left hand side.

The fire selectors are exposed on both sides, but you could probably cover one or both of them over as well.

The actual foam cutting and gluing only took an hour or so, the rest of the time is sanding, filler, sealer and paint.

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Tackle said:

😛

2l9vks.jpg

Who's the bigger nerd: the nerd, or the nerd who's on the internets reading a nerd thread about how to turn a toy gun into a toy space gun? :P

1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

*Ahem* Death to the False Emperor?

Mostly dying for the Emperor.  As above, I was super paranoid about being accused of hit dodging due to the armour, so I was calling myself out to hits from ricochets, gun hits (to be fair, it's a big target), and even just when people were pointing in my general direction.

Great fun was had though, and it was interesting how many folk sidled up in ones and twos during the day to quotebomb, mention their chum who makes 40K cosplay gear, their own plans for producing bolter conversion kits, or one chap offering to just gift a spare purity seal for the toy space gun. ;)

Go as a Chaos Cultist Guardsman next time :) Noone will have done that as a Cos Play

• Supporters
1 hour ago, EvilMonkee said:

Go as a Chaos Cultist Guardsman next time :) Noone will have done that as a Cos Play

Because Guard don't live long enough to get corrupted.

Nah, next up is to sort out the soft kit, and glam up the lasgun up a bit.  I might throw some LEDs into the M4 magwell converter and switch to red tracers - the little Lighter-S can only really handle greens.

Then I might laspistol my AEP, I rather missed having a side arm in (very) CQB.

This was only intended to be a one-off, but it's all worked out so well that I might make it a regular bit of dress up.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Because Guard don't live long enough to get corrupted.

Nah, next up is to sort out the soft kit, and glam up the lasgun up a bit.  I might throw some LEDs into the M4 magwell converter and switch to red tracers - the little Lighter-S can only really handle greens.

Then I might laspistol my AEP, I rather missed having a side arm in (very) CQB.

This was only intended to be a one-off, but it's all worked out so well that I might make it a regular bit of dress up.

I can donate some test red tracers if needed. 

You carry the Emperor's will as your torch, with it destroy the shadows.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.