Dream Project you've always wanted to finish/do but never done/started?

AirsoftTed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My dream project is to rewire my M4 to the front so that I can use a stock-less M4. It'd be a great CQB weapon but I don't have any experience with gearboxes and such.

Stockless is overrated for CQB. What control do you have over the weapon after removing the one important point of contact to your body? Front wiring is cool, but at least invest in one of those tiny retractable stocks that make it small but easy to aim and fold up like the AAC Honey Badger stock.

Lol don't listen to 'em!

Just Paint it Black like that Rolling Stones song.

My dream project is to rewire my M4 to the front so that I can use a stock-less M4. It'd be a great CQB weapon but I don't have any experience with gearboxes and such.

No man! Don't do it! Unless you have arms made of stone, you will have a hard time trying to line up the sights, or if you are using an optic, it will be harder to keep a target on the dot. At least have a stubby stock on it or a honey badger stock like BarrelRoll said, or maybe a stock that folds to the side.

No man! Don't do it! Unless you have arms made of stone, you will have a hard time trying to line up the sights, or if you are using an optic, it will be harder to keep a target on the dot. At least have a stubby stock on it or a honey badger stock like BarrelRoll said, or maybe a stock that folds to the side.

Even full size M4 AEGs aren't that heavy....I can easily aim with my almost full length M4 without having it shouldered, and it's even easier to do it with a red dot which he'd most likely use in CQB.

It's not even hard to keep the dot on target lol.

Lol I never use my sights. Any face pro I wear raises my bloody face above the actual sights themself so I never bother. I'd rather have a stock-less m4 with a one point sling.

Son, unless I'm very much mistaken, using your sights generally tends to help overall gameplay. Use a riser , and make it work you won't regret it.

Even full size M4 AEGs aren't that heavy....I can easily aim with my almost full length M4 without having it shouldered, and it's even easier to do it with a red dot which he'd most likely use in CQB.

I don't think he's referring to the weight, which you are mostly correct on, but having the stock in your shoulder significantly increases the pointability. Imagine firing a P90 without the stock!

I'm not talking about the weight, what i meant was, without the stock, stability and your control over the gun when sighting in is decreased. And sure, you may compare it to pistols but with an m4, you don't use 2 hands to hold the grip because otherwise the front end would drag you down.

I'm not talking about the weight, what i meant was, without the stock, stability and your control over the gun when sighting in is decreased. And sure, you may compare it to pistols but with an m4, you don't use 2 hands to hold the grip because otherwise the front end would drag you down.

Why would you even assume I meant using it pistol style?? What I was saying is that you can still use it with one hand on the handguard and one on the pistol grip, like a normal weapon without having it shouldered- this way you can stick your gun and head around a corner and shoot without having to display enough of your body to shoulder the weapon.

(in fact using it pistol style doesn't drag down a lot- I'm not strong and I can still hit a man sized target at 30-40 odd meters after testing just now)

I don't think he's referring to the weight, which you are mostly correct on, but having the stock in your shoulder significantly increases the pointability. Imagine firing a P90 without the stock!

I know, and I prefer to keep the stock in my shoulder when aiming instead of doing it freehand. I was mainly saying it's still possible to aim fairly accurately without the weapon shouldered however it is a little more difficult :)

• Supporters

TBH I'd rather not imagine firing a P90 @all, but since I'm not a homunculus, stock on or off it wouldn't touch my shoulder. Even with a butt pad I'd have to squish my arms up so they'd ache.

There's a reason every military rifle in the world has a stock; aiming is better when you're using one.

Folding stocks are more for transporting guns or using them in vehicles, it's a complete fallacy that a folding stock is good for CQB.

Finally somebody who realises...

He has a point but I play airsoft to have fun and look cool. I'm not exactly the kinda guy who prioritizes winning and/or practicality. I wanna look cool and have nice and less rigid flow when playing.

Ah, but the "dream CQB weapon" kinda suggested practicality. Never mind, if thats your thing. I was also just commenting on the general repeated mistake of a folding stock being good for CQB.

Well it'd be easier for me to carry around in small environment but I care about my speed and flow more than my accuracy. From a movement standpoint a folding stock would work fine in CQB but also considering the fact that it is CQB we are talking about... well I hardly doubt accuracy is many people's priority.

Accuracy matters in CQB. If you can hit them when only a small part of them is visible....

• Supporters

Just check out how many real world "CQB" units use guns without stock.

If you want to get the gun on the target the quickest way possible, you will need practice. If you raise the gun to your eyes a few thousand times the exact same way, you will learn that to do it the most efficient and quickest way. Without a stock there is no fixed pivot point for the gun and the gun ends up in different position every time. In CQB most of the time you and your opponent see eachother the exact same moment. You will need to put the red dot on him faster than he aims at you and you need to hit him with the first shot. A lot of practice and a stock helps you do that.

Just check out how many real world "CQB" units use guns without stock.

If you want to get the gun on the target the quickest way possible, you will need practice. If you raise the gun to your eyes a few thousand times the exact same way, you will learn that to do it the most efficient and quickest way. Without a stock there is no fixed pivot point for the gun and the gun ends up in different position every time. In CQB most of the time you and your opponent see eachother the exact same moment. You will need to put the red dot on him faster than he aims at you and you need to hit him with the first shot. A lot of practice and a stock helps you do that.

But we are talking about Airsoft here. Where most guns including mine have absolutely no recoil and the fact that my life isn't exactly in danger. This means I can start playing Quake style except replace jumping with super cool slide maneuvers! And like I said when it comes to guns without stocks. Aiming goes out the window. If I wanted to aim I would keep the bloody stock on.

• Supporters

I see. Maybe you should check out paintball. It's closer to this playstyle you describe, than airsoft. They are even training in this style, and have proper techniques and equipment to do it. It's quite possible you would find more fun in a paintball game.

... except replace jumping ...

A few years ago a guy did try jumping around a corner against me - like you do in these pc games. Well, except that in the games you jump quite high, but of course in reality you don't. That was hilarious.

I see. Maybe you should check out paintball. It's closer to this playstyle you describe, than airsoft. They are even training in this style, and have proper techniques and equipment to do it. It's quite possible you would find more fun in a paintball game.

Paintball is way too expensive and Airsoft is the only sport where I can look cool. I do like the tactical aspect of Airsoft but only in bigger areas in smaller tighter maps I feel like I need to be a lot faster and sneakier instead of a head on frontline role that I take in the bigger games. This is why I'm still kinda waiting to get a Real Sword AK before I take the stock off my M4. It'll act as more of a side arm in the big battles.

Folding stocks were not designed for CQC, they're for easier storage and vehicle crews. Using a rifle without a stock just feels wrong. I lost the screws for my MP5K PDW stock :(

If you're using it as a secondary then fair enough I guess, but I would personally rather just put a stubby stock on. Overall length is short enough but you've got the option to use it when you need to at least.

I also need to buy a riser and an optic. I was thinking it would be fine in close quarters to not use sights but it really helps if you do, it's just using full face you can't comfortably bring your weapon up on to target. It's not natural or quick at all because you have to really extend your rifle out to use the irons and it's very sh*t.

I should buy one of the large half face masks that cover your ears so I can use my ESS ICE glasses instead, and I am ordering a cheap £10 MICH 2000 replica from TaiwanGun.

£45 for a NEXTORCH T6L R5 Hunting Set is pretty tempting too, as a tac light would be great down at Halo Mill, but I can't afford anything yet.

This is why I'm still kinda waiting to get a Real Sword AK before I take the stock off my M4. It'll act as more of a side arm in the big battles.

If you're serious about this as a playstyle, look at the G&G TR16 CRW. Machine pistol M4 for the win! I'm certain you could make a holster to strap it to your thigh as well. I saw a thigh holster for a full size MP5J once, and ^this is waaay smaller than an MP5J.

Machine pistol M4 for the win!

Whack a zombat flash hider on a custom cut down 1"ris...What's not to love? Have two on one point bungee slings, have them secured to a vest on quick release buckles, hit it when ready and spray away!

If someone did that and could use them effectively, props and creds to them.

Surely the M4 would knock into you when running though, and get ridiculously annoying- like a 1KG necklace?

I'm thinking velcro'd cordura loops like in a gun case attached to the side of a rigid corder panel sewn into the thigh of some combat trousers.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.