Dream Project you've always wanted to finish/do but never done/started?

AirsoftTed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Alright Lads, we've all done it, ideas of grandeur abound we've decided we're gonna make a tank/rocket launcher/custom gun etc. so ran down to the nearest DIY store bought a metric f*ck tonne of PVC,Plywoods or Aluminium (choose your vice ;) see what I did there...) started for a day, then never had the time/skill/money or motivation to return to it or even start it in some cases!

What are you guilty of? I myself am "in the process" of making an M72A7 LAW (I've sawn a 2m drain pipe in half and haven't been near it for the best part of 2 months). I honestly do have the intentions to finish it, I'm just biding my time till I a) have enough surplus cash to do the thing justice B ) work out a perfect locking and firing mechanism as I'm a bit of a realism junkie and want it to look perfect, and function perfect.

Both of which have pushed me towards looking for a real one for sale (fat chance!) so I can just stick a mechanism inside it and be done with it, but I can live in hope!

I'm also pondering building an AR-18 and .30 cal MG (then its .50 bigger brother) but again money is restricting my ingenuity.

Post up your projects that you're stuck on, we can all have a good laugh and maybe even help each other!

Cheers lads

Teddy

I would like to get the appropriate transport to go with my WW2 british airbourne loadout:

parachute_bike_A.jpgbsa_early_ab_soldier_riding_trg.jpg?w=47

They are rare, expensive and really belong in a museum. But what I could do is buy a Pashley Parabike

pashley-parabike.jpg

It won't fold but if I could model the hinges and attach fake ones to the frame and with a few modifications it would look right to the casual observer. Then I would need the Rifle holder and frame bag :)

• Supporters

Oh no, where to start...?

IMAG2130.jpg

My LAW project^^ It's plastic so the plan is to fit stainless steel exhaust tubes, 1 inside the other, and build a bayonet fitting type breech block at the arse end and a simple steel filament ignition system with an 18650 battery and rocker switch... to fire these.

Turn the camera to the right and we see evidence of...

IMAG2131.jpg

...some of the stuff out of which I intend to make a ghillie suit and the fucked up camping mat which I intend to use to make it comfortable to lie up in (which also gets used for face mask/goggle mods); the spare tent poles which have been co-opted to make a black background against which I can zero scopes (by taking the lot to a corner of a far off field... near Jct 25, M1 out of sight/out of mind) but that needs work to make it better; the Milan rocket sock which I have converted into a rifle bag needs a better shoulder strap; the plastic machete needs a paint job to make the handle look like wood...

Hiding elsewhere is my Ares L1A1 SLR which I have a vague plan to convert to wooden furniture and use a piece of shaped roof lead between the inner and outer barrels for realistic weight, although just turning the fucking thing into a working AEG would be a start :lol: There is a set of 58 Pattern webbing lurking nearby which needs a damn good soak in Dettol and multiple washes to get it completely free from stores stench. A turtle helmet with burlap camouflage cover is just visible in the very top left, but it needs work to be wearable. There are pairs of 68 Pattern DPM kecks and lightweight OD's in my wardrobe, so I'm just missing a shirt for a Falklands or BAOR loadout, but it's low on my priorities list...

The ghillie suit is mainly intended to be a Russian loadout, as my sniper rifle is an SVD, so to go with it I have a modern Splav harness, but although I've managed to find the pouches for sale, as of yet I haven't managed to buy any. Svetlana my SVD is still a work in progress: she's good, but I'm getting to be so fucked up health wise that I need her to be excellent, so I can hit targets even further away; PDI barrel this month methinks. But there's the KWA TT33 going on redwolf for £80 so I'm torn...

Tatiana my AKS-47 has a busted folding stock bracket, which I could have fixed with a bit from the cheap stock I bought to replace the lost boss from the opposite side bracket, but I flogged it on. Somehow I can't see an under folding stock without the lock bracket being something I can sell on, so I'll be stuck with whatever I buy this time... I have got a spare front end though, so with the right receiver that'll be a new gun with a stock which doesn't fold, but it's £50 for a decent stock and who knows for the receiver...? And that front end was earmarked for the CM.028U plastic receiver with folding stock I have spare... because I have a project AK on the go which needs the real steel stock finished by my chippy mate so it can fit on a G&P ali receiver and then join to my CM.028U tactical front end to make a major league cool post apocalyptic AK... we've done the angle cut correct, but the drilling needs some wedge bits making to hold it all in a vice and he's worse than me for reliability (which is saying something ffs!).

Oh yeah, and Phatima my AKS-74U has developed a feed issue for no apparent reason: mags which worked perfectly well in her before now don't, but I haven't changed anything important since they did work. I've got 3 midcaps which will feed about half of their BB's into her because their springs are brand new and fucking fierce, but the other 3 which also have those springs don't work in her V^^VGrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Anyway she needs a rebuild because I'm also part way through upgrading her to run on 11.1V with a MOSFET. Oh and the MOSFET in Morena my newly refinished CM.048 AK-74 burned out when I reassembled her t'other day with her new Falcon 6.03x455mm barrel. Fortunately the fleabay seller is sending me another for free, but right at this moment I don't have a fully working reliable AEG, just my Scorpion...

...and breath...

...which no longer selects single shot, despite having an AB MOSFET fitted (I'm pretty sure it's mechanical but so far I haven't been able to suss it out). And Jetta my G36K/EV Hybrid is also in bits because of a selector problem - only selects single shot on either setting iirc because it's been so long, I would have to search stuff I've written ages ago on this forum to jog my memory :lol:

There's probably other stuff which I've forgotten too...

I would like to get the appropriate transport to go with my WW2 british airbourne loadout:

They are rare, expensive and really belong in a museum. But what I could do is buy a Pashley Parabike

It won't fold but if I could model the hinges and attach fake ones to the frame and with a few modifications it would look right to the casual observer. Then I would need the Rifle holder and frame bag :)

Could you not buy a cheapy pair of hinges out the poundshop, some fibreglass filler out of halfords, apply it and then shape it to look correct mate?

I aint got a clue what the hinges look like but if they're particular ones that might be of some help!

Oh no, where to start...?

IMAG2130.jpg

My LAW project^^ It's plastic so the plan is to fit stainless steel exhaust tubes, 1 inside the other, and build a bayonet fitting type breech block at the arse end and a simple steel filament ignition system with an 18650 battery and rocker switch... to fire these.

Ian mate, I'm not familiar with the mortar shells but im assuming they're eletrically set off?

If so, I think I remember reading about someone using a 9v battery, so I've come up with this (sorry if it comes across as patronising, you've probably already come up with it yourself but you never know!)

ianidea_zps77b833b6.png

The green bits are contacts to complete the circuit upon depressing the original firing button. I reckon with a bit of fibre glass and a dremel it might take you an afternoon or two at the very best?

I'm aiming to fire nerfs and such via m203's so it's a bit hard to get it right without the fugly rod thing sticking about the back that everyone is happy with. I'm thinking of cutting a trap door in the top to breach load it, then have a spring loaded firing pin behind the shell which is connected to the firing button. Its a simple enough theory but I just need to think of and make A) A spring loaded firing pin, don't fancy adding that to my search history ;)B) a way of recocking without having to add the ability to open up the whole damn thing. Probably deceptively simple but I can't really get to the bottom of it. I've also toyed with the idea of using a 9v to power a small hobby actuator but I think the time between firing button pressed and that fully extending to press the back of the '203 could be between 3-5 seconds which well its a bit useless really.

109783d1275341577-british-bsa-folding-paIt's a bit of an unusual hinge but I think an approximation could be bodged out of epoxy putty and bits of metal. The main problem is that even 2nd hand pashley bikes are expensive. Not as expensive as the £1000-2000 for the original bike but probably £250+

SV98 style Stock for my VSR 10 Gspec,based on the lighter early version stock,slightly slimmed down at the front too to save weight.

I Was going to made it out of 3 glued planks of White Deal,I even planned to cut up a G3 steel hicap to either use as a dummy or some sneaky ammo storage,but I decided against the ammo store idea. Could have used the CNC wood router we have in school but unfortunately I had a Junior cert exam project to make. Had the drawing,measurements and all that craic done on some A2 paper which I promptly forgot about and lost.

After using my VSR for some more games,and using the stock as a walking stick and a handlebar to stop me falling into a lake,I decided to stock was strong enough already and I did not need extra weight to lug about.

CBA really-too expensive,My average income is pocket money and the occasional tenner for tuning a mate's gun from time to time,I also ran out of things to sell. Takes me ages to save up for small things now. I spent the money I got from selling an old Honda 50cc motorbike+some engine parts on the CYMA AK project which I then sold via my brother at a minor profit. The TM stock on the Gspec is nice enough quality and I don't care that much about looks when I actually think about usage.

Besides,in Ireland,there are no real manufacturing companies for things like ABS casting,'ts all moved to China now.

• Supporters

The original rubber/silicone-whatever-majig firing button on my model LAW has gone hard - it'll need a replacement and besides I don't want a switch that could fail - bodging one that will be completely reliable from scratch would be more hassle than just bodging a rocker switch to fit. Those mortar pyro's are strike lit afaik - that cap looks like a standard striker - my guess is that there's a fuse underneath. I expect it's pretty much the same as a firework airbomb. I plan to wrap the steel filament around the fuse, maybe put a nick in it with a scalpel to hold the filament. The bang will blow it all to the side, but there'll be a couple of mm either side anyway - not something to reload in the field though... just like the real deal.

Crafting an actual wooden stock and hand grip for my CA870 sawn off. I have the wood cut to size but it still needs to be filed down, varnished and holes for screws drilled in. It's sort of sat in the shed for the last three months in my projects box.

I will do get round to it eventually but it's just finding the time to with everything else going on at the minute.

Well before I think about the bicycle, I need to finish my WW2 loadout. Things I still want for that: Shoot and scoot Lee Enfield, Better Denison smock, Rubber bayonet and real bayonet (to get the scabbard), New helmet liner, chin strap and fixing bolts so thats a total of over £500 :o

I'm also really tempted to do a WW2 Aussie loadout after the British Para (I just love the hat :D ).

I would love to get a high end rifle and Itasha it. If you dont know what it is go on google images and google itasha.

Perfect cover if you have a gun fight at an anime convention judging from the first few results on google images.

I'd be scared to skirmish it if I did that to a rifle - too high a risk of scratches/scuffs on the paint.

Perfect cover if you have a gun fight at an anime convention judging from the first few results on google images.

I'd be scared to skirmish it if I did that to a rifle - too high a risk of scratches/scuffs on the paint.

It doesn't cost that much, I have looked into it for a car in the future.

It would be unique and look awesome and I could show off my weeb nature and everybody can bask in my glory.

• Supporters

That is sexual, Samurai.

Visited the M72 today, did a bit of hacksawing albeit crooked due to the shitey poundshop hacksaw holding the blade askew.

Going to crack out the jigsaw tomorow and the dremel, Then pop up to wickes for some conduit. Should have something remotely resemembling a LAW by the weekend!

Intended to make a bandolier type thing but never could be bothered to finish it and I didn't buy good quality materials either. Also was meaning to finish and air powered rifle thing but I never completed the stock and had to find some putty of some sort which is the only part I didn't have.

The one below :/

(You won't be able to see it on mobile site)

Looks like a Colt Commando M733? G&P, Marui and JG make / have made them if you can find one . . . . the QD silencer and other bits should be easy to source? :)

Looks like a Colt Commando M733? G&P, Marui and JG make / have made them if you can find one . . . . the QD silencer and other bits should be easy to source? :)

I know, but all the money!!!!

I was thinking about building it from scratch, maybe using the body for an M16A2 build aswell, kind of interchangable for CQB and Woodland sort of dealio.

Well... I was planning to turn my ak into a bullpup but then everyone was like, "U NEED UKARA TA DO ALL THAT SHYTE!", "U NO ALLOWED TO DAT!", "BULLPUP'S R SHYTE!", "U GET ARRESTIED!"

Lol don't listen to 'em!

Just Paint it Black like that Rolling Stones song.

My dream project is to rewire my M4 to the front so that I can use a stock-less M4. It'd be a great CQB weapon but I don't have any experience with gearboxes and such.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.