UKARA and paint questions

NH Shooter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all... Just doing some checking... I've searched the site but there's so much info. Anyways...

You can't buy a black RIF without ukara. But surely once that's done, your bound by no laws in its ownership from ukara, right? So if after... Say... 6 months you got made redundant, or something... So couldn't play, or be a "member" anywhere... You wouldn't have to go get yourself some paint would you?

You wouldn't be able to buy new guns, obviously, but you could maintain your "old" one almost indefinitely, without further registration.

Anyone have an opinion? I'm just curious.

When you buy the gun it's yours. 'UKARA' is just a way for the retailers to check that you are a regular skirmisher and have a defence for buying a RIF.

When you have it it's yours, you don't need a permit, a UKARA or anything else to own it.

• Supporters

The thing to understand, NH Shooter, is that a UKARA registration is not a licence. You do not have to have it in order to legally own an RIF. It is simply a database which allows retailers to check that they are not committing an offence by selling to you.

does this mean it only applies to commercial sales and not private?

do the site owners ask for UKARA defence to allow RIFs?

Most will as it's one of the easier ways of checking you're valid.

It's more of a grey area with private sales: most people will again ask for UKARA as it covers them as it's easy to check if someone's a valid skirmisher before they agree to the sale - just to cover themselves legally. But it's not the only way of obtaining a RIF as you may have an expired UKARA defence yet already have a RIF - technically you couldn't buy a new one but having your current gun proves you are/were a valid skirmisher.

The whole "what constitutes a valid defence?" arguement/debate is full of grey areas to be fair. E.g. If you have a real firearms licence, are you allowed to buy a RIF? I'd say yes myself, but it's not made clear in the VCRA.

• Supporters

The whole "what constitutes a valid defence?" arguement/debate is full of grey areas to be fair. E.g. If you have a real firearms licence, are you allowed to buy a RIF? I'd say yes myself, but it's not made clear in the VCRA.

It's not really that grey an area.

You have a defence if you can fulfill BOTH of these criteria:

1. Over 18 (applies to purchase of, as far as we can tell under 18s can manufacture, provided they fulfill the rest of the requirements)

2. Play at a site with at least 3rd party public liability insurance.

3. You can prove beyond reasonable doubt that you play at said site regularly. This is best done with online bookings, photos of you at the events etc.

For a forum sale try to get their UKARA number and phone a shop to check it. It's a 30 second job and makes sure that you are on the safe side of things. If you can't find anyone that will do it phone Patrol Base and we will check for you.

If they can prove they are over 18, then photos of them at an event, or calling their site manager should be fine.

Firearms Certificates (again, not a license) Shotgun certificates or being in the Military/Police etc are NOT defenses for purchasing RIFs

Okay I stand corrected, thanks for clearing it up Dave

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.