Having trouble picking my first rifle

Jimmothy_

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone!

I am new to airsoft, and would like to purchase my first proper gun for skirmishes. I am looking for an m4,

pereferably metal, with RIS rails (is that what they're called? The rails on the front of the gun).

My budget is ~£170.

There is so much to choose from, so I was hoping to get some opinions from eperianced players :)

Thanks.

EDIT: Any opinions on this gun: http://www.onlybbguns.co.uk/electric-rifles-budget/cm016-cm016.html ?

Hello everyone!

I am new to airsoft, and would like to purchase my first proper gun for skirmishes. I am looking for an m4,

pereferably metal, with RIS rails (is that what they're called? The rails on the front of the gun).

My budget is ~£170.

There is so much to choose from, so I was hoping to get some opinions from eperianced players :)

Thanks.

EDIT: Any opinions on this gun: http://www.onlybbguns.co.uk/electric-rifles-budget/cm016-cm016.html ?

Read other posts about which gun to get as a 1st gun. We tend to say 2 things: Don't buy from any site with bbguns in the name and get a G&G combat machine.

Something like this: http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/airsoft-weapons-c38/electric-rifles-c45/combat-machine-cm16-raider-l-p1481

Best thing to do is either to your local airsoft shop so you can get a feel for the guns and use them. Alternatively try a few when you go to a skirmish. G&G's Combat Machine range is brilliant for beginners though. Patrol Base or Zero One are the cheapest places to buy (price doesn't include battery or charger)

• Supporters

Is it just me or are proairsoftsupplies.co.uk down? They have wombat machines at competitive prices too and may be the best place if you need a two tone, as we are no longer whole heartedly recommending ZeroOne, despite their free 2 tone service and free skirmish voucher, because the threshold has been reached, there is now no longer any doubt: they are bellends. Another good option is uk-airsoft.co.uk

CYMA make good-to-very-good AK's and good M14's and at least 1 person on here swears by their MP5's, but I've never heard anyone say their CYMA M4 is worth recommending.

re: plastic vs metal - you can't really generalise because pot-metal parts are very poor under any bending or twisting stress, but last perfectly well under simple linear compression or extension, whereas ABS plastic is a bit more forgiving but does not take well to disassembly, even that which is intended as part of routine use or maintenance. Reinforced nylon fibre (which SRC use for their G36 range) is what H&K use for many 'real steel' gun components and it would be my choice over zinc alloy for pretty much any AEG body part.

But some manufacturers use aluminium alloy components, G&P and King Arms for eg, and these are usually very good and superior to ABS all day every day. Then some guns are steel - generally you will pay much more for these, but naturally they are the strongest components (i'm not aware of any titanium AEG's although I wouldn't be surprised if some yank has done it for the lulz) - exceptions to the price rule are CYMA CM.048, CM.048M, and higher numbered AK's and certain D-Boys AK's (the latter should still not be bought by beginners b/c they require internal upgrades to even show their faces on a skirmish field).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.