new to airsoft

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

2 days ago i had never heard of it but i am learning. i do want to check my kit wish list though and a question on getting started

budget wish list (no point in buying decent kit until i know i will use it regularly which would be after UKARA membership)

95 kit seems to be the cheapest and easiest option although it is a bit thin compared to the combats that it succeeded. i would prefer a bit more padding than this stuff but that will have to wait

gloves with knuckle protection

eye protection of a high standard (i have read the guide on this forum)

boots probably used army issue to keep costs down. my work boots are far too well polished for this sport

headgear although i havent read up on specifications yet. kevlar is probably overkill for this application

facemask better separate from eye protection?

knee pads possibly only advisable for most people but my knees are shot to hell already so my knee caps getting shot to hell from BBs would hurt a lot

not looking at weapons or accessories until after i am UKARA licenced

one thing i have not found the answer to is how to actually get started. everyone seems to be a part of a team and while that is the long term plan (i learned about this whole thing through an invitation) so how does an individual get involved in a local skirmish? are they all team versus team or is it a case of teams made up from numbers (possibly added to existing teams from spare bodies)?

Welcome to the forum. Just find your nearest skirmish, rent the kit and turn up on your jack.

Its not all teams and people will talk if you talk to them. Asking about guns and kit is always a good icebreaker.

Many sites will rent coveralls and the safety kit so you can see if you like it first.

hi boyle, and welcome to airsoft. Most skirmishes usually involve two groups of people against each other to complete some sort of objective. You don't need to be in a team to play and I think most people are 'lone wolves'.

If none of your friends want to come and play, just go down yourself and get stuck in. Most airsofters are friendly, so you shouldn't feel left out.

the approximate date for our team event is august but i want to be licenced by then (assuming i like it but i am pretty sure i will love this) so i want to get started a lot earlier. the only problem is a car getting put back on the road first. jap import and its MOT is getting closer!

i can chuck £100 at getting the kit (loadout?) sorted out from ebay and i can get the skirmishes i need under my belt as long as i hire weapons

i have looked at the pictures thread and noticed some L85A2s kicking around. for obvious reasons i am going to notice them but are they any good? i would favour the L85A1 from that range but i would appreciate some opinions on them as airsoft guns from you guys. assault rifle seems to be the starting point with this sport which makes sense with their versatility and popularity as a standard issue item with the worlds armed forces albeit different makes and models

Apparently, the G&G L85 sucks, and Ares' L85 does too (great externals, shoddy internals). Have a look at the ICS L85. Airsoft_Ed had one so PM him and ask him what he thinks about it.

i think he likes it :D

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/11381-ics-l85a2/

G&G are apparently re-releasing their L85s soon, not sure if they've made any changes to them, but it might be worth waiting to hear more about it before thinking of buying a current gen one.

There's also apparently another L85 AEG in the works, I've heard rumours of one being produced but I've no idea who's making it or when we'll hear the low down, so I'd say hold your horses for the time being.

i havent got to grips with the differences between gas and electric and throwing different manufacturers into the equation just complicates things even further. choosing the rifle is bad enough but then having to choose who you want it made by is a headache when i havent even seen an airsoft rifle in the flesh. i can hold various weapons at a skirmish but you guys are using them so you know how good or bad they are. it doesnt matter how good it feels if it constantly fails during a firefight

welcome.

The 95s are a good and getting cheaper way to start. but i think the most important is boots. if you have any foot problems i recommend magnum or bates as these do me best for running around in.

i can pick up a set of 95 bottoms and top for around £20 but that is probably the lightweight jacket rather than ripstop jacket. it is good kit for summer but not so much in the wet although it does dry quickly. i cant find the older DPM kit so 95 is looking like the winner

i have been wearing boots to work for 20 years so my feet are more than used to them

Welcome Richie....First thing to learn about airsoft is that there's no such thing as a UKARA license or any license needed to buy - what you need is a 'defence'. There's some threads around which explain it much better than I could - defiantly worth a read.

my mistake. i am still getting to grips with the terminology but from what i understand, i need to register my participation in a skirmish with the approved site/s 3 times over a period of no less than 2 months and they will sort out the UKARA for me. from then on i can legally buy RIFs instead of IFs (the only major difference being whether its authentic colours or 2 tone with a minimum of 51% being a bright colour). carriage is a bag or case to conceal the weapon from public eyes. it must be unloaded and no gas or battery connected

Look at the deals on http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/

Go to Special offers to find complete sets of DPM or DDPM (shirt, trousers and smock) for £25.

Rather than a helmet consider a boonie or bush hat, it will make you less of a target and will offer enough protection.

Get either a scrim net scarf or a shemagh to protect your neck. A shemagh can be used as head and lower face protection too but won't be as good as a mesh face mask. Scrim net scarfs allow more ventilation and can also be used as a mini camo net.

When it comes to face protection separate is better. This will allow you to drink etc mid game.

first skirmish booked for 27th april. i will be hiring equipment as planned but wearing this little lot:

95s

SAS smock

revision goggles

mesh half mask (hopefully it will be here by then)

mechanix gloves

magnum boots

web tex knee pads

the battlefield with be POW

http://playersofwar.wix.com/players-of-war

POW is great, its my local site.

If you have any questions then just ask as everyone is always willing to help.

first skirmish booked for 27th april. i will be hiring equipment as planned but wearing this little lot:

95s

SAS smock

revision goggles

mesh half mask (hopefully it will be here by then)

mechanix gloves

magnum boots

web tex knee pads

the battlefield with be POW

http://playersofwar.wix.com/players-of-war

Hi mate welcome to airsoft.

To be honest apart from my chest rig my entire loadout cost me less than £100.

I just got my boots from the local surplus store & Ubacs, gloves, mesh mask & gloves off ebay......still works fine.

I hope you enjoy mate, I'm still new & totally hooked

POW is great, its my local site.

If you have any questions then just ask as everyone is always willing to help.

thanks mate. i will do. mainly about the weapons now since i really dont understand how they feed the BBs from the mag to chamber then propel them across that kind of distance. real guns i understand, these things are totally different though

thanks mate. i will do. mainly about the weapons now since i really dont understand how they feed the BBs from the mag to chamber then propel them across that kind of distance. real guns i understand, these things are totally different though

AEG.gif

Its a moving diagram of a typical (vers 2) AEG gearbox. The only important bits missing is the magazine, which is fed using a long spring in a mid cap or a wound spring in a hi cap and the hop up, which is the part that adds back spin to the BB as it gets shot up the barrel. Its this backspin that gives the BB its range (due to Bernoulli's principle if you want to get really geeky).

• 2 weeks later...

Richie, I am pretty sure I was speaking to you at several points yesterday but no idea if I was!

And the cutoff lever.

Bah, cutoff levers are overrated! :P

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.