G&G top tech gen 3 owners - problems with MOSFETs?

dex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

This is one of the main points about Mosfets, its meant to make using 11.1 Lipos possible without damaging the trigger contacts. Yeah there are some other benefits of mosfets but this is the big one that most people go for, so if we are limiting the guns to 7.4s or Nimh's because the mosfets can't handle something all the aftermarket ones do then its not doing its job properly and it needs replacing.

This is true. If you particularly like the top techs (I think they are good AEGs, although I think the blowback feature is entirely a gimmick and makes maintenance and upgrading a pain in the arse and that there are better AEGs for the money), and you want to run 11.1s on it and don't want to worry about the FET blowing, either get a gen 2 and stick a FET in it (I too would recommend the Gate Pico) or replace the the stock one in the gen 3.

Sorry but no, it's not entirely true. The point of a mosfet is to bypass the trigger contacts to improve trigger response and reduce wear on the contacts. You don't HAVE to be compatible with 11.1v LiPo to do that it's just that lots of people have got used to using them as a way of increasing trigger response. G&Gs argument is valid in that having uprated the wiring and fitted a Mosfet you DON'T need an 11.1v LiPo to drastically improve the trigger response.

Sorry but no, it's not entirely true. The point of a mosfet is to bypass the trigger contacts to improve trigger response and reduce wear on the contacts. You don't HAVE to be compatible with 11.1v LiPo to do that it's just that lots of people have got used to using them as a way of increasing trigger response. G&Gs argument is valid in that having uprated the wiring and fitted a Mosfet you DON'T need an 11.1v LiPo to drastically improve the trigger response.

I agree. I think the point BrightCandle was making is that using a 7.4 in a AEG with a FET because your afraid to use an 11.1 for fear of blowing the FET is a bit silly.

I tend to combine 11.1s (with a FET), 13:1 gears and a very slow, very high torque motor such as a JG blue to get ridiculous trigger response and good but not silly ROF (~22rps).

• Supporters

Granted G&G made what appears to have been a poor decision by building their OEM FET down to a price but then I do wonder how many people would have been happy to swallow the extra cost had they gone with a higher spec? Ultimately their design achieves what it sets out to do - maximise trigger response with the existing gearbox design by taking advantage of the lower power LiPo batteries. Had they OEM'd a Gate PICO design they'd have been golden of course but that's just the way it goes.

• Supporters

I got a TR4-18 Light in Tan:

http://www.guay2.com/web/gt_product/TR418_Light.php?lang=en

Which was a Gen 3 MOSFET, when i opened the box there was a piece of paper wrapped around the manual saying "YOU CAN USE 11.1V LIPOS WITH THIS GUN, IN FACT USE 11.1V LIPOS".

So i immediately did and very quickly noticed that the MOSFET was heating up just to touch, having heard the horror stories about their Gen3 MOSFETs i snipped the wire and installed a GATE PICO AAB instead, better MOSFET with no over heating :)

I got a TR4-18 Light in Tan:

http://www.guay2.com/web/gt_product/TR418_Light.php?lang=en

Which was a Gen 3 MOSFET, when i opened the box there was a piece of paper wrapped around the manual saying "YOU CAN USE 11.1V LIPOS WITH THIS GUN, IN FACT USE 11.1V LIPOS".

So i immediately did and very quickly noticed that the MOSFET was heating up just to touch, having heard the horror stories about their Gen3 MOSFETs i snipped the wire and installed a GATE PICO AAB instead, better MOSFET with no over heating :)

My gun came with a warning saying I couldn't use anything above 8.4V nimh and 7.4 V LIPO or it would void the warranty. Basically the same gun, a T4-18.

• Supporters

If I can find it I will take a photo of the label that I had.

Mine too had the notice in the box saying I could use 11.1 lipo but after awhile my mosfet caught fire! see what the new improved mosfet from G&G will be like

• Supporters

Here's a copy of the G&G Label i got wrapped around my TR4-18 Manual.

Gen-3-2-Electric-boogaloo.jpg

• 1 month later...

Why do you need 11.1V LIPOs ?

You dont need a MOSFET at all if you use a 7.4V Lipo.

If you are really worried about wasting your money on this gun, choose something else. With your budget, you are spoilt for choice !

• Supporters

Well I think pro airsoft on on their way to winding down & jacking it all in

Also gimme a gun and I'm sure I can break it as I have a gift for this stuff

it is or was "supposed" to be a bad batch - probably trying get the actual mosfets too cheap

there are a loads and loads of snide mosfets out there and in a aeg anything but a proper true genuine decent fet will just crap out real soon

For that reason you source proper mosfets from proper places like RS or Farnell - never from ebay

A number of proper mosfet suppliers confirm this - cheap fets die - well actually they get very hot very quickly

If the gun has been wired up for a fet with decent wire - then it ain't that hard to simply replace a crapped out G&G one

with a far better and reliable mosfet that start from about £10 or £20 with braking

But you would of thought they wouldn't of tried to cut corners on Top Tech

or at the very least test the bloody thing by spamming on semi for 30 secs or so to see how hot a batch of fets got

fake or poor quality fets turn into mini George Foreman grilles when you you do this to them

Also for what it is worth - you really don't need to put 11.1v lipo's through most guns

You can get a quick trigger response/ROF without having to go mental & use 11.1v

At present I have got to just under 25rps (24.8rps on 7.4v 25c fresh off charge on 18:1 and that is plenty

Everybody thinks max volts and insane rof - but the faster she fires then there is a good chance she will crap out quicker

(says the guy who has broke plenty by taking the mega pi$$ as per usual)

Remember Airsofters - The faster your gun fires - the bigger your pen is

(soz silly cartoon I saw yonks ago about fastest download speeds and how big your own ego/pen is)

4926_6b41_500.png

High voltage batteries is mostly about trigger response not ROF. I personally want to hit 750-850 rpm but I want that trigger to break and fire rapidly and allow me to keep firing on semi as quickly as I can. That is what 11.1 is about and why it was important to me and why it was pretty annoying to get a note in the gun saying it couldn't handle it despite what G&G had done by install a mosfet.

• 9 months later...

Apologies for the Threadomancy, just thought i'd give an update on this gun, and its issues.

So, the MOSFET in my TR16 CQW burned out on first skirmish (back in 2014) using 8.4v nimh. MOSFET was replaced under warranty by the retailer, with a replacement G&G MOSFET.

The 2nd MOSFET lasted 4 skirmishes before burning out!!! Again, using 8.4v nimh. Back to the retailer, who replaced it with NEW spec G&G MOSFET (which took a few weeks to arrive), they also recommended i use higher voltage batteries, as using low voltage was straining the MOSFET, apparently. So been using 9.6v nimh ever since. This new spec MOSFET is still going (touch wood!).

Have had another issue recently though - was getting 110fps, rather than the 300+ usual... gear box was cracked, visible in mag well, just behind BB feed. Luckily, i took out the 3 year warranty on the gun when i bought it - worth every penny of the extra £30!!! Apparently, due to the short barrel, they use a heavier spring on this model to up the fps, and it takes its toll on the gear box housing. Seems to be a common problem with these as the tech guy knew exactly was it was as soon as it said the model.

Hi Cynic

i was just wondering how your gun was now - have you had more issues with it and the mosfet failing? only reason i ask is that i bought a TR4-18 and as of yet havent been able to skirmish it as have had 3 mosfet failures - im running an 8.4V nimh battery too (have got a thread going in the technical section) and i have had a recommendation to use a higher voltage battery. was just wondering what you experiences were so far.

thanks

My T4-18 had similar issues. My most recent game the gears stripped, the gearbox is cracked and its only about its 6th game. I had the gun break after all but one of those games and now the cost of repair is just kind of ludicrous. I have hated this gun since the beginning with its feed issues, then its charging handle and its moset all the way up to the darn thing ripping itself apart. My gun was utter garbage and I am binning what remains, none of it is well made from the outside or the inside its all just a very expensive bit of junk. I wont be buying or recommending a G&G top tech and I haven't since I got it.

• 3 years later...

Bb

Ye I have the same problem I was playing one day gun stopped firing went home and opened it up replaced wiring on my gun put it back together did not work I NEED HELP

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.