G&G top tech gen 3 owners - problems with MOSFETs?

dex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Having just been down to Pro Airsoft Supplies - I was having a chat about the G&G gen 3s with pre-wired MOSFET. Seems they've had a few back with blown MOSFETs. Any owners had problems with their ones?

I've just ordered one from another retailer. POS have advised me against using 11.1 lipos in it to avoid potential issues.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes ! Had a G&G MOSFET burn out on my guns first use.

(Lucky for me at the end of the days skirmish)

POS replaced the MOSFET straight away with in 10 minutes.

Was running it on a 9.6v nimh battery.

The new one gets hot quick! So not thinking it's going to last long.

If not il probably remove it , seeing I'm not going to run on 11.1v anytime soon.

Also the trigger spring broke straight away. This caused the gun to fire continually in safe mode.

Been running mine on 9.9 life since I got it. I've noticed that it gets hot too but haven't had any problems so far after about 5k rounds. If it does fail I'll probably upgrade the mosfet.

Heard some reports from a few friends of mine who run top tech gen 3s,and from some other players who've used them.Apparently G&G MOSFETs should not be used with any lipo over 25c of discharge,they'll blow otherwise. Really does not like 11.1vs as well.

Now,20-25c isn't that much. That's only half the discharge rate needed to spin your motor up to full speed instantly. Isn't the whole point of the mosfet to allow you to use higher discharge batteries? Call me skeptical,but I think these mosfets just MIGHT be complete shit :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Used my brand new G&G Top Tech TR16 last weekend. Work fine for the morning skirmish, but stopped working just after lunch (luckily had a spare gun), smelt like burning. Called the retailer and they said it sounded like MOSFET burnt out. I was using 8.4v minh.

Apparently they have 5 other similar guns all waiting to be fixed (waiting for shipment of chips to arrive), all with same problem.

Sounds like somebody on the MOSFET production line fell asleep.

Rest of my team use G&G guns, most have MOSFET fitted. No issues at all for them (all older guns).

• 3 months later...

Hi Cynic

i was just wondering how your gun was now - have you had more issues with it and the mosfet failing? only reason i ask is that i bought a TR4-18 and as of yet havent been able to skirmish it as have had 3 mosfet failures - im running an 8.4V nimh battery too (have got a thread going in the technical section) and i have had a recommendation to use a higher voltage battery. was just wondering what you experiences were so far.

thanks

• 3 months later...

My T4-14 gen 3 ran for about 4 Sundays then blew another 2 have blown since then. G&G are meant to send out new mosfet's in the new year, was it a bad batch or bad design? I know my nippers G&G cost half the price and works beautifully. My supplier said G&G will not take duff items back, then don't sell duff gear. Why can't G&G not be answerable?

• Supporters

My T4-14 gen 3 ran for about 4 Sundays then blew another 2 have blown since then. G&G are meant to send out new mosfet's in the new year, was it a bad batch or bad design? I know my nippers G&G cost half the price and works beautifully. My supplier said G&G will not take duff items back, then don't sell duff gear. Why can't G&G not be answerable?

What battery were you running?

• Supporters

can't work out how the hell they can be burning out so much - even on low-mid range volts

thought mosfet were for higher volts/amps setups

My gut feeling is that G&G bought in some moody or a dodgy batch of fets most likely

or the small circuit wiring is perhaps not the best & most effective design/layout

some bloke in UK ONLY buys his fets from places like Farnell or RS as he has had too many

cheapo clones when buying on cheap and these just burn or running very very hot too quick

(he has a vid on youtube showing him firing on semi 120 shots in a minute and genuine fet temps are low)

more fet stuff here:

http://www.airsoftforum.com/board/topic/196370-everything-you-need-to-know-about-mosfets/

and is a good guide - perhaps G&G should read up on it a bit coz on higher end stuff they should not be

attempting to cut corners or improve their design better coz it seems to suck for some people's top-tech atm

My gen 3 has showed a number of pretty serious problems, they are lemons. Its not just the mosfets the inner barrel quality is awful, the airseal is pretty bad and all of that leads to bad accuracy. I have also lost the charging handle button twice, once on a G&G replacement part, the darn thing just falls apart easily and often. I have had problems with a badly formed bucking that came with the gun and that I think is about it. All in all not good for its price.

• 2 weeks later...

i too had issues with my G&G TT TR418, but i got it replaced by the retailer. i emailed G&G directly using the contact info on their website. they were prompt in replying and helped the retailer go through my issue to get a resolution, in the end they suggested speaking to the retailer and asking for a replacement - to be fair i did have a year warranty with the gun do........

i have however stopped using the battery that i was using originally. it was using a 8.4V nimh, but have now changed to a 9.9V LiFe, and have had no issues since.

• 1 month later...

Unlucky for me, bought a second hand Tr4-18 on Friday and the fet burnt out on Sunday. Well gutted. I've always had G&G and this is the failed bit of kit. not impressed. as its second hand its going to hit the old pocket to get sorted.

Hoping its not going to cost too much to put right

Probably worth going for a decent aftermarket mosfet rather than another G&G one in that case, as some seem to have had repeat problems with the stock one. Can't recommend one as I don't use them but there are plenty on here who do so over to them. . . :)

• Supporters

If I removed the mosfet and left the trigger wire in place, that would be ok?

Depends what batteries you want to run it with and how the Mosfet was wired in to begin with.

Personally I'd say whip out the knackered module and replace it with a Gate Pico AAB. They're good, they're cheap and they're reliable.

Standard nimh 9.6v nun chuck batteries, I've gate before on another gun and liked it very much. this mosfet is just a standard one that comes shipped.

• 3 weeks later...

I contacted G&G about my TR4 and blown mosfet. G&G Said received mixed reviews on the original mosfet so G&G have produced a new one. All I had to do was pay for shipping of $14.

a few days later the new mosfet turned up, its a nice red board one instead of the black one I had. Seems to running fin on my TR4 now.

is this the gun you guys are refering to? as i was looking to purchse this gun soon, just wanted ot make sure im not purchasing a nightmare lol

http://www.airsoftworld.net/g-g-t418-airsoft-rifle-with-blowback-gen-3.html

Yeah, gen 3 top techs. You should be OK. If you want to be extra careful, dont run high C rated 11.1s.

Yeah, gen 3 top techs. You should be OK. If you want to be extra careful, dont run high C rated 11.1s.

This is one of the main points about Mosfets, its meant to make using 11.1 Lipos possible without damaging the trigger contacts. Yeah there are some other benefits of mosfets but this is the big one that most people go for, so if we are limiting the guns to 7.4s or Nimh's because the mosfets can't handle something all the aftermarket ones do then its not doing its job properly and it needs replacing.

This is one of the main points about Mosfets, its meant to make using 11.1 Lipos possible without damaging the trigger contacts. Yeah there are some other benefits of mosfets but this is the big one that most people go for, so if we are limiting the guns to 7.4s or Nimh's because the mosfets can't handle something all the aftermarket ones do then its not doing its job properly and it needs replacing.

This is true. If you particularly like the top techs (I think they are good AEGs, although I think the blowback feature is entirely a gimmick and makes maintenance and upgrading a pain in the arse and that there are better AEGs for the money), and you want to run 11.1s on it and don't want to worry about the FET blowing, either get a gen 2 and stick a FET in it (I too would recommend the Gate Pico) or replace the the stock one in the gen 3.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.