Spotters for snipers

Teo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok guys this question has been on my mind a long time and it is are spotters useful in Airsoft or not?

What do you guys think?

Useful for some target calling out as telescopic sights can have a very narrow FOV, however they're more useful for follow up shots, protection, relaying radio and supporting.

• Supporters

Specifically as a spotter, in a regular skirmish, I'd say no. Especially if you're the flanking, stealthy type of sniper - one person is harder for the enemy to spot than two.

As a back up gunner for when people get too close to you to snipe, maybe. They be able to help cover your retreat to a better sniping distance, then you'd be able to cover theirs while they regroup with you.

In a MilSim, they'd probably be more useful, you may need to hit certain targets, whereas in a regular skirmish you generally don't. They'd be able to point out high value targets for you. But, you run into the same problem again - one person is harder for the enemy to spot than two.

Overall, say no, but when I snipe, I tend to be with a group of 6 or so people, 1-2 snipers, and 4-5 AEGs, maybe a support gunner if there's one available.

• Supporters

It's the kind of thing you don't want there until you're in trouble.

Most of the time it's, as pointed out, another person to get spotted. Plus I'm yet to see another player that can not break twigs or rustle leaves like I can.

I don't tend to have one for exactly that reason. get yourself a good sidearm (*cough* TM MK23) and learn to use that and your rifle.

• Supporters

In my experience the spotter is a must if you want to be able to strike a target hard. If you just take a few shots at a team and run away then you don't need a spotter. A bolt acton gun has stealth and range but doesn't have the firepower needed to stop a fire team.

If you can coordinate your movement with the spotter you can lure the enemy to each other's fire and you can cover each other while moving. Usually my spotter has more hits than me. I take the long shots and valuable targets but he gets the others when they are starting to close up. That's of course if you have a bolt action sniper gun and the spotter has the AEG.

I think you can be successful alone if you're sniping with an aeg. Or if other fire teams are close so you can use them as fire support.

They are good for protection and helping with recon in a milsim. That's about it really.Otherwise, they mainly just get in the way and increase your chance of being spotted.

in general in the typical role id say no. as for the reasons stated. howeve ive occasionally seen one squad that seems to work for the play style they aim for, reinactors, specifically ww1 where the spotter has a rifle to support the main gunner whos using a heavy gun thats not really going to move much but covering the team. seem quite effective as a holding unit but then ive seen the whole team taken out by a single man as a result.

if i was thinking spotter id be thinking team coms, everyne doing what they can whilst giving feed back on positions to the sniper to try and get the angle on those pinning them down, pointing out important targets etc, and vise versa. somewhat similar to what im thinking for my team to do in general...

• Supporters

The thing to remember is that in real life the distances are far greater so it'd be beneficial for another guy helping look etc, in airsoft you're generally looking at 70m max give or take so a second person isn't really needed to help locate people/things as it's easy enough to see.

If done it in a Milsim before.

Sniper had a GBBR M14 and was tasked in drawing a map with all the intel, building locations etc. I had my GBBR 416 and calling out people on the radio. Just sneaking around only engaging when we needed.

Very little kills that day but hot dayum we drew a good map. Our assault and support guys just blitzed through the games getting all the intel.

Gas Recon Squad FTW.

However it doesn't really work like in real life. I was just point man and body guard pretty much. No setting up binos and calling out yard and windage to the sniper crap.

i work as part of a two/3 man sniper team we work well as spotters for each other while also baggin our own targets, were linked via radios and work a few meters between each other so we have a pretty good arch of view/fire

works well for us but may not work well for others

Archived