Flash Mags: Are they worth the buy?

JD8825

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am new to Airsoft and went to a game recently. What I found that when using high cap magazines for an AEG the BB's rattle as you run around (which got me caught out in some games), even when the magazine is fully wound up at the bottom, so I was looking at other options. So in my research I came across Flash mags which seem solve the problem of reducing noise while keeping the a high capacity. Also, you don't need to wind up the mags as often from what I have seen from videos.

So the question is are they worth buying? Or should be avoided?

• Supporters

My preference would be mid caps over flash mags. They hold less by you are guaranteed that they will feed an entire mag without any intervention.

I borrowed a chaps M4 with flash mags before I got my site membership sorted out. They were much better than high caps in that they would feed the majority of the mag without needing the pull the drawstring, however I have heard that at least some of them don't last - i.e. they fail after around a year of use. Also the drawstring can snag like blinds do with the cord that lets them go up and down, if that makes sense lol.

• Supporters

Flash mags still rattle.

Whoever told you Flash Mags reduce the noise is talking utter rubbish, if anything they're worse. If you buy Lonex (or ASG rebranded) they will give about 2 years service until the ratchet spring fails. But then a replacement spring is a few pence to replace. If you however buy the cheap ones, you'll get a few months tops before the whole mechanism collapses, which is virtually irreparable. Had a few of each for a Dytac for woodland games, the Lonex were drastically better.

MId caps for me. Hate winding high caps and the noise produced by them and flash mags.

My flash mag still rattles, the BBs are loose just like in any other hicap. However unlike the hicap that came with the gun it feeds the grand majority of the BBs on a single wind up, rather than requiring winding every 10 rounds. You will probably get as many rounds fed from a flash mag in a wind as you do with a midcaps, mine will happily feed 100-150 rounds with burst fire. However if you I go full auto yI get some missing rounds, they don't in my experience keep up with the rate of fire of the gun, especially when I am aiming higher to compensate for drop. Not perfect but also no where near as awful as a normal hicap.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.