G&G GR16 Blowback Upgrades

Lambster

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

Recently got a G&G GR16 CQW Rush with some upgrades, mainly a Madbull V2 247mm 6.03mm tightbore inner barrel and Madbull 60 degree 'thunder' hop-up bucking.

In my excitement to play with my new toy, I decided to take it to bits and learn a few things about the internals.
I'm yet to game with it, but depending how it performs this weekend, I'll be possibly looking to make some changes and upgrading further.

I put some PTFE tape on the bucking and around the brass ring to improve the air seal. I've obviously not tested this yet as I have no where to do so.

According to the previous owner, it was running at 320 FPS and easily hitting chest sized targets at 50m. I'd like to see if I can get an extra 10-20 FPS out of it and possibly a little more range and accuracy. If not, it's no bother, I'm just really eager to learn about this stuff and improve things.

Would a better spring help at all? Would a high torque motor do much if I put a higher grade spring in? Would the gearbox need upgrading if I do put another motor in?

Also, is it possible to upgrade to a v3 gearbox? This might be a strange question, but I really like the idea of a quick release spring for easy upgrades or downgrades on the day.

I'm not looking to upgrade for a couple of months at least. I'm really looking for ideas, opinions and suggestions on upgrading.

I also love the idea of having a BTC Spectre MOSFET for the benefits. Would this fit my gearbox?

Cheers

I had a nice lengthy response wrote out explaining my reasoning and trying to help you (I am being 100% honest here. I was about 15 mins into it), but I accidentally clicked the back button on my mouse and lost the response. I am in a bad mood now so here is my short answer.

Don't bother with your more powerful spring and motor. You don't need it. Your FPS would have increased with the TBB and teflon tape. And as some newbies incorrectly think (thanks to a certain few retailers) a higher FPS does not mean a longer range. I have seen 330 FPS AEG's outrange alot of unupgraded 450 FPS snipers. Most CQB places won't allow much above 330fps anyway.

Use the money shimming the gearbox and maybe some stronger or better ratioed gears and improving accuracy. (I'm not sure whether I should say higher or lower ratios anyway. Ones for a higher rate of fire anyway :P)

A higher gearbox version number doesn't mean it is better than a lower numbered gearbox version. The type of gun is gearbox specific. For example a V3 is an AK gearbox. Have as google for the V7 gearbox and you'll see what I mean. It is for an M14.

A MOSFET is probably a better idea than a more powerful spring. However it seems like too much faffing for me but you may have a different point of view. Hence I'm not too clued up on MOSFETs.

Well I hope this shortened answer answers a question or two. Any more questions feel free to ask.

Thanks for the advice mate.

After my game today I think it needs it's ROF vastly improving tbh.

The FPS is also around 318.

The range and accuracy were great though with only a small amount of hop up applied.

So I'm thinking of getting a faster motor in it. Maybe better gears too as you said.

What battery are you running? I had a ROF increase by fitting deans instead of the tamiya. I was very dubious about deans but it worked quite well. I yesterday fitted a 9.6v nimh and that increased the ROF again. It was a quick, simple and cheap fix.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.