Taking a gun to the UK

Derlux

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Heya all

I wish to start airsofting here when I come to the UK for 6 months for studies, but I can't find a clear answer if I need to have a UKARA license to bring my own gun over (not 2 toned). I assume that when players from other countries come to the UK for a skirm they don't need to have a UKARA license?

Will I need to buy a two tone gun or is it possible to bring my own gun with me for that half year? I am keeping my gun at my place in the UK then, and am officially living in the UK for that time so that is a major difference between players who are just here for a skirm.

I hope someone can help me a bit on this matter!

Thanks in advance! :)

• Supporters

I think generally guys that come over to play at a specific event will use that one game as their defence if they're stopped... flying a RIF into the UK would be difficult so I expect most people will drive/get a train.

If you're flying, it'll be difficult, if you're driving, just book a place at a game for the weekend after you arrive and chuck the guns in your car.

What Jcheese means is book a game scheduled after you arrive, use that as a defense for bringing a RIF into the country and then play at any other games you want over the remaining 5 1/2 months while using said RIF.

What Jcheese means is book a game scheduled after you arrive, use that as a defense for bringing a RIF into the country and then play at any other games you want over the remaining 5 1/2 months while using said RIF.

Oke sorry I didn't understand that part.

This will not give me any legal issues in the UK for keeping my gun at home in the UK? Is it only the purchase part that gives problems? Thanks for your input btw :)

yer its not illegal to own one its illegal to buy one without the proper defence. once you have a gun your fine.

Oke that great to know, thanks for your help guys! Now I can at least bring it in and keep it without breaking the law :) One last question, do I have to make clear in advance I'm bringing one into the country (I assume so) and where should I do that?

Talk to the airline you're travelling with as well as they will have regulations as to how it will need to carried, something like 'in a lockable hard rifle case, checked in as X and keys given to cabin crew' the more ground work you do before the event, the smoother it will be

Any paper trail showing that you are an airsofter may also be helpful, even if it's just pictures of yourself at an airsoft skirmish. Unfortunately the law is really badly written but you do need a defence to import a realistic imitation firearm. This means being able to prove it is being imported for the purposes of airsofting. If you regularly attend a site in the Netherlands you could ask them to give you a letter to that effect, this will be the same thing as UKARA effectively so you would definitely have no issues. In all probability if you come by ferry no-one will check and if they do then a copy of an email confirming a booking will cover you.

Any paper trail showing that you are an airsofter may also be helpful, even if it's just pictures of yourself at an airsoft skirmish. Unfortunately the law is really badly written but you do need a defence to import a realistic imitation firearm. This means being able to prove it is being imported for the purposes of airsofting. If you regularly attend a site in the Netherlands you could ask them to give you a letter to that effect, this will be the same thing as UKARA effectively so you would definitely have no issues. In all probability if you come by ferry no-one will check and if they do then a copy of an email confirming a booking will cover you.

Oke you made it very clear :)

Thanks for all the information everyone again! I'm going to gather some "evidence" throughout the few months to prove that I'm bringing my weapon over for the purpose of airsofting. After that I can just store it at my home in the UK from what I understood.

Looking forward to seeing you on the skirm sites!

my brother is a supervisor at the border agency and hes not even very clear on the whole RIF thing but one thing he did say is that trying to fly in with one will cause a whole world of pain. its actually easier to send yourself one in the post as then it wont go on a commercial passenger airplane so wont freak anyone out as much as finding one in the mail. (THANKS BIN LADEN) coming over on a ferry you would have to be VERY unlucky to even get searched well enough for them to find one. but its the same old of its probably easier to declare it then risk it being found and then trying to explain it.

I think I'll follow up your brothers advice and send it myself by post since I'm planning to be traveling by plane since the ticket will only cost me 15 euro, so I guess approx 12 pounds? (thanks Ryan Air!) Just need to find out how much luggage I am allowed to take with me. So I'll first get some information about this whole matter at the air company (find out how much pain it will be) and if I can't even take some decent luggage with me I'll simply go by ferry :)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok this is what I did

I brought 4 guns back from HK and placed them in my check in baggage

I told the airline check in counter that I have airsoft guns inside then the local airport security will come and check. After it's done the bag will go through and board the plane.

If it is a direct flight then u are suppose iy get your lagguage back as they will unload your bag and place it down the collection belt

Ok this is what I did

I brought 4 guns back from HK and placed them in my check in baggage

I told the airline check in counter that I have airsoft guns inside then the local airport security will come and check. After it's done the bag will go through and board the plane.

If it is a direct flight then u are suppose iy get your lagguage back as they will unload your bag and place it down the collection belt

This is what I did last week when coming back with a GHK G5 from Hong Kong. The check in desk contacted airport security who looked and confirmed it was a gun then called HK police who came over (armed) took me to a secluded area so they could check it over then gave the all clear and let me pack it in my luggage while the BA check in girl marked my case as security checked/cleared. Only took about 30-40 minutes and was completely painless.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.