Are AEG pistol better than GBB?

kenshin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok, I have asked about a similar question, but that was about rifles. This time I want to know about pistol.

I am thinking of getting a pistol, at first I thought I can only get GBB and Spring one. But having just discovered ehobbyasia.com

Now I realised I can also get AEG for pistol too. Sorry I am new to all these, so that is why so many questions. :)

I still haven't make up my mind, which replica I want: Beretta, Glock or Sig.

Does AEG pistol shoot faster than GBB? How about the duration of the charge? Does the gas last longer or electric?

Thanks in advance.

• Supporters

GBB are more powerful but tend to misbehave when the weather gets cold, AEGs are not very powerful at all but will keep going regardless of the temperature.

GBB are more powerful but tend to misbehave when the weather gets cold, AEGs are not very powerful at all but will keep going regardless of the temperature.

So ideally get one for cold weather, and one for summer? Or get GBB just don't play if the weather is cold?

• Supporters

You can get gas that has less issues in cold weather (green gas) but it tends to be too powerful when the temperatures rise, also not recommended for Tokyo Marui pistols due to their mostly plastic construction. To be honest if you're just starting out I wouldn't worry about a pistol just yet. Concentrate on an AEG rifle first!

You can get gas that has less issues in cold weather (green gas) but it tends to be too powerful when the temperatures rise, also not recommended for Tokyo Marui pistols due to their mostly plastic construction. To be honest if you're just starting out I wouldn't worry about a pistol just yet. Concentrate on an AEG rifle first!

Ok, I supposed when in the fight, there will be other players in the same team as me, so I will have time to reload.

It is just that I play Call of Duty so much, that I am used to switch to my side arm, when I run out of ammo in a fight.

• Supporters

Ok, I supposed when in the fight, there will be other players in the same team as me, so I will have time to reload.

It is just that I play Call of Duty so much, that I am used to switch to my side arm, when I run out of ammo in a fight.

I know what you mean but the number of rounds in a G&G high cap magazine means you won't have to reload in the average game. Plus if you keep running out of ammo in CoD, you need to be a better shot ;)

Yeah a pistol isn't really too important, get one if you want, but as a beginner your money could be better spent on a more expensive gun or gear.

I've also been looking at guns and things on eHobby Asia - does anybody know what it's like buying from them in terms of shipping / customs etc? The stuff on there is really well priced but I can imagine import taxes and everything will be expensive and stuff can get seized by customs and they don't give you if back for ages.

If you do get one, Tokyo Marui or KWA make the best pistols.

As the other guys have said, GBB pistols can suffer in cold temperatures, but a stock TM gun should perform well enough.

I say stock because you can buy a Guarder kit for it, you get a new slide / frame / barrel etc but the better externals mean added weight and you sacrifice efficiency (more power needed to push slide back)

The CYMA CM.030 (Electric Glock 18) is a popular AEP but it's non-blowback and not very realistic. Good in cold weather and should be a reliable side arm. I don't think it will be 1:1 scale so it won't fit in moulded holsters (e.g. IMI / BLACKHAWK SERPA / G-Code)

I'd also highly recommend you purchase a LiPo battery for it which increases trigger response as well as rate of fire.

Airsoft-World sell an exclusive special LiPo which is specifically designed for the CM.030 and another electric pistol (same series / also made by CYMA)

If you search for 'custom CM.030' or something people so some crazy shit with theirs adding stocks / scopes etc ;)

Wow, so many things can be modified. I think I will get a TM, since I really like Japanese stuff over Taiwan any time.

After I get the pistol I will ask again for help to modify it. Since I have no clue what is what.

Are there any good websites, magazines or books which you lot can recommend me?

I really want to learn a lot more about Airsoft. :)

• Supporters

@Airsoft_MrB:

Ehobbyasia are probably the most professional HongKong retailer I've bought from, fast shipping, communication is quick and in decent English and their stock levels on the website are accurate.

Customs charges are pretty simple to work out, take the total cost of your order including shipping and add 20% to it, then chuck on £13 for parcelfarce handling fees and you're about there. Guns are liable to be held by customs for a while (the team at border force that does firearms stuff are always mega busy) but as long as your UKARA checks out they'll release the item as soon as it hits the top of their queue.

@kenshin

I wouldn't bother modifying a TM pistol, there's not a vast amount you can do to improve upon them in their stock form. For example, my TM glock 17 has a $350 aftermarket T7075 aircraft grade aluminium slide, a skeletonised CNC machined lightweight blowback unit with custom nozzle and piston head, a stainless steel recoil spring guide and a titanium barrel... it shot better when it had the stock slide on it, sad but true!

• Supporters

Don't bother yet. Spend the money on boots, eye protection, mesh 1/2 face mask, a spare battery for your AEG, a good charger, mid cap mags, and a sling.

just so we are clear as well, its called an AEP, i have a cyma glock AEP they are quite popular. pretty cheap as well. you can pick one up for about 40-50 quid. they can be given 100 round magazines and can be used to good effect if the main gun runs out. they generally fire between 200-250FPS. with a lipo in you will get through a couple of 100 round mags before it dies and as the batteries are so small you can carry spares quite easily. in a CQB they are good as they are reliable and the big mags. in other environments they are good as a back up/last stand weapon.

Gas has the higher FPS and realism of blow back but if that doesnt matter to you then why not. i own one and have used it to good effect before.

• Supporters

I agree with the guys above. :)

Most of the time you will fill your handgun with bbs and gas and empty it at the end of the game. If you're a sniper or a machine gunner that's when you need it.

GBB guns are really fun to shoot so you will use it more often just for that. However AEPs are quite weak and you can't really upgrade them and most of the time the enemy won't notice he's been shot, so you should usually use burst fire.

Don't buy an AEP if you're a beginner. You want fun and AEP won't give you that.

Don't buy any handgun if you're a beginner. You will be having fun with your AEG, you don't need a handgun. When you get sometimes bored with the AEG then buy a GBB.

Only buy an AEP if you have fired one before and definiately know that you need it for your playing style. And then put a lipo in it. :)

I'll just chip in to say if you're getting an AEG, you don't need a pistol, there are more important things worth picking up. They're useful if you play CQB and I find I use mine a lot (when it works) as it's faster to switch to it than reload my shotty.

going to say that whilst i agree with some of the comments,

i would play a few games and get your ukara sorted and then grab a pistol as well, by then you should know your local site and know if it will work i play cqb and woodland and the pistol gets more outings in the courthouse then at spartian but it is fun to play with

Some of my friends have jumped in and brought gbb pistols instead of buying better rifles and to be honest from what I've seen from the performance I don't at all recommend going down that route due to the fact that unless uyou are at a cqb site its much more worth just reloading

• Supporters

At a guess I'd say it takes me just over 1/2 a second to draw from a drop-leg and aim my USP. If I'm under pressure so i don't bother with putting the empty in a dump pouch, I can reload Phatima my AKS-74U in just over a second, because she has an enhanced mag catch so I don't have to alter my grip to operate it with my trigger finger easily and at the same time my left hand has hold of the replacement, which I carry upside down so I don't have to change my grip on the mag to insert, rock and lock, just turn it right way up, which has brought it closer to the gun by its length with just a flick of my wrist, which is a foot when I'm using her long mags, considerable when counting in milliseconds <_< and then there's the muscle memory...

Different story with my G36, especially when using a dump pouch - more like 15 seconds that feel like a few minutes! That's why I use her lo-cap mags locked together in pairs by the lugs and one of one pair out of the 4 or 5 I'm carrying will be a pre-wound hi-cap.

My point is that when I reload Phatima it's usually very slick (Val Kilmer has got nothing on me); it takes me longer if my spare mags are anywhere other than my left hip; it takes me longer still with any of my other AK's and absolutely yonks in some of my loadouts when I'm worried that simply dropping a mag will be the last I'll see of it... As an average I could have drawn my pistol and taken 4-5 aimed shots before I could reload an AEG and get it back on target. But I still say spend your money on your AEG and mags rather than a pistol, because in over 2 years of airsofting there have only ever been 2 incidents where those milliseconds counted (although in the 1st one I didn't actually have a pistol on me so I did get hit lying on the floor where I dived for cover to reload :lol: {in 'the fort' at Tac House: Spartan if anyone cares, single handedly holding off about 6 opponents - it had all gone a bit Pete Tong well before I ran out of ammo!}): compared to fuck alone only knows how many slick or bumbling mag changes that allowed me to carry on well enough - you can get a box of 10 MAG mid-caps for about £50 and a massive (and thus easier to use) Viper drop-leg dump pouch for about £15.

Edited by Ian_Gere
font size - again V^^Vgrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Guest PT247

My TM G18c GBB works more than fine in pretty much all weather, I'll never buy an AEP all the while I have my TM.

I went the pistol route very quickly after buying my first AEG.... went duel wield P99 with hi cap mags in woodland to great effect! I love pistols and go against the grain here by recommending them to new players (with the caveat that you have a good AEG) the reason I recommend pistols to new players is that it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks.... my mates went AEG and never embraced pistols they now don't see the point as it isn't natural for them to switch to a side-arm instead they bug out and miss out on the shits and giggles a GBB pistol can give in a tight situation. I never go on a skirmish without a side-arm now and normally get at least one pistol kill a round at my local woodland site. Effective use does require a conscious effort to use the pistol tho, you'll not be able to use it when the crap hits the fan if you don't make the effort to use it regularly and as Ian said, get the muscle memory to know where it will shoot when running etc

• Supporters

Drills and Skills ...

Yeah, he's got that all off to a fine art - I'm generally not that good. For eg I still haven't managed a knock, rock'n'lock mag change in game. I feel sure i'd balls it up and somebody would be bound to be filming :lol: so I've never tried.

With an enhanced mag catch it's a waste of time anyway - the mag doesn't drop out without a slight forward/up jerk, but it is possible to do it with the butt trapped against the bicep without having to think about it more than what the left hand is up to at the same time, ie feel for buckle/button, undo, fingers and thumb parallel, vertical, either side of mag base plate, push grip down mag ready to withdraw... at that point the empty is gone and now i think about it the gun is rotated about it's lengthwise axis, but not as much as Sonny's, maybe 25, not more than 30 degrees: even though i have it well practiced, being able to see where the mag lip is going helps in making sure it rocks and locks first time (as not all mags are the same ) - and saves mag damage / the lip snapped clean off a D-Boys quad stack mag I had during a fucked up mag change (lying on my back behind 2' high cover with the gun flat against my chest).

Seeing the lip engage is what allows the single grip position, I reckon, because unless it works first time its a bit of a bastard to manipulate the mag effectively with its base plate flat against the ball of the hand. Still, the more I think about it, using my "dodgy grip'n'flip" method also leaves the left hand with the correct wrist rotation and finger/thumb position to 'catch' the gun by the hand guards as i bring the barrel back down to aim and i'll bet that being able to fire'n'forget that motor neurone command allows my attention to go down range faster than during a transition from a trad 'pistol grip' type hold of the mag.

I think you make some good points there, PT. You're totally right that I hardly ever think "this next attack will be better/more of a laugh with my pistol," unless we're murdering the opposition so I'm not bothered that mucking about will compromise a victory (I mean yeah, it's not all about the winning and I don't have to win to enjoy playing immensely, but it bloody helps ;) ). All the same, I think that choosing to play a game or 3 with just pistol/s every now and then is the antidote to ignoring their possibilities. At the beginning I think it is best to concentrate on the basics - snap shooting moving targets is not something many of us can do outside of a skirmish day and this is the skill which will translate into hits more than any other.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.