Who makes the best MK23 SOCOM Pistol?

kenshin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Who makes the best MK23 SOCOM Pistol? I really like the look of this pistol. Which brand makes the best MK23 SOCOM Pistol?

So far I can see that Tokyo Marui and Umarex have them. Any other good brands makes them?

Thanks in advance. :)

• Supporters

If you intend to use it as a sniper secondary then Tokyo Marui hands down. It is the quietest and most accurate handgun. The LAM usint is quite useless and the magazines can't handle green gas because of a valve that releases the pressure.

STTI (KJW) makes a very good clone of it, but the silencer is plastic and has an inner barrel that eliminates the silencing and raises the fps above the limit. So it must be gutted but that's not that easy because it's glued together quite hard. But if you can do that (or you get a silencer with foam and a 16+ thread), it does work very good and it's much cheaper than the TM. This one's magazine can handle green gas.

If you don't want it beacause of the quietness, then using an MK23 is not very practical because it's uncomfortably big. And because these are NBBs the trigger pull is extreme long. I hate that on these. :(

• Supporters

As a sniper side arm nothing beats the TM Mk23. It is quiet and it's most accurate. But it's an NBB so it's not much fun to shoot.

If I'm going to a game where there is no sneaking and laying around for at least half an hours then I take my GBB with me.

As a sniper side arm nothing beats the TM Mk23. It is quiet and it's most accurate. But it's an NBB so it's not much fun to shoot.

If I'm going to a game where there is no sneaking and laying around for at least half an hours then I take my GBB with me.

Sorry I am new to Airsoft, what is NBB? Thanks

Sorry I am new to Airsoft, what is NBB? Thanks

Non blowback. Basically, when you squeeze the trigger, the slide doesn't travel back, which means it saves gas, but it's not as much fun.

I have a friend that has an Mk23 and man, they are massive pistols. Unless you have massive juggernaut hands, it won't be practical.

As for glocks, the TM g18 looks sweet. It's plastic but the rate of fire is blindingly fast. If you don't want that, an ASG or KWA will do.

Non blowback. Basically, when you squeeze the trigger, the slide doesn't travel back, which means it saves gas, but it's not as much fun.

I have a friend that has an Mk23 and man, they are massive pistols. Unless you have massive juggernaut hands, it won't be practical.

As for glocks, the TM g18 looks sweet. It's plastic but the rate of fire is blindingly fast. If you don't want that, an ASG or KWA will do.

IC, yeah it will not be as much fun without the blowback.

1977265_10152101970519079_832992512_n.jp

This is what the MK23 looks like.

Mine is the HFC version. I believe HFC and ASG are the same as STTI but different branding.

If you intend to use it as a sniper secondary then Tokyo Marui hands down. It is the quietest and most accurate handgun. The LAM usint is quite useless and the magazines can't handle green gas because of a valve that releases the pressure.

STTI (KJW) makes a very good clone of it, but the silencer is plastic and has an inner barrel that eliminates the silencing and raises the fps above the limit. So it must be gutted but that's not that easy because it's glued together quite hard. But if you can do that (or you get a silencer with foam and a 16+ thread), it does work very good and it's much cheaper than the TM. This one's magazine can handle green gas.

If you don't want it beacause of the quietness, then using an MK23 is not very practical because it's uncomfortably big. And because these are NBBs the trigger pull is extreme long. I hate that on these. :(

I disagree, the inner barrel doesn't make the gun loud. The loudest part of the gun is the hammer, you just hear a click when you shoot. Admittedly the click is quieter on the better made TM guns. As for raising the fps above the limit, if you buy the ASG or HFC branded versions they are set up to work with UK site limits so even at my usual indoor site with 328fps limit my MK23 passes chrono. The inner barrel in the silencer does however increase accuracy.

The Mk23 is not an emergency backup weapon. It cannot be drawn quickly. If you want a silent gun with decent accuracy and range then it's awesome. A sniper would make good use of it for close up kills. Where it truly rocks though is when used as a main weapon for CQB. If you ditch your gear and just use a MK23 with spare mags in a pocket you will be very mobile and silent.

It would be interesting to try the ASG/HFC/STTI silencer on a TM MK23 if it fits.

See from that picture it doesn't look to be that huge a pistol, unless you've got ridiculously huge hands. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one as I was fancying one of the HFC versions as a bit of a fun alternative to my shottys as a CQB primary and for when my hi capa decides it really doesn't want to behave (which is depressingly happening more and more frequently :( ). I wouldnt want to buy on to find that it's unweildly though so I may have to find a stockist and try one for size. What's the weight like on the HFC?

They are all plastic so the only real weight is the mag so as long as you have big enough hands it's a very easy gun to use. It should be noted that I am wearing well padded leather gloves in that photo making my hands look bigger. If you compare the gun to the size of my head rather than my hands, you will get a better idea of scale. It's comparable in size to a desert eagle, this makes it hard to find a holster. My smock luckily has rather large inside pockets so as long as I take the silencer off, its actually pocket sized :D

600px-Tears_of_the_Sun_MK23_1.jpg400px-Oldjoesocom.jpg Bruse Willis seems to like the MK23 :)

They are all plastic so the only real weight is the mag so as long as you have big enough hands it's a very easy gun to use. It should be noted that I am wearing well padded leather gloves in that photo making my hands look bigger. If you compare the gun to the size of my head rather than my hands, you will get a better idea of scale. It's comparable in size to a desert eagle, this makes it hard to find a holster. My smock luckily has rather large inside pockets so as long as I take the silencer off, its actually pocket sized :D

600px-Tears_of_the_Sun_MK23_1.jpg400px-Oldjoesocom.jpg Bruse Willis seems to like the MK23 :)

LOL, I actually watch Tears in the sun last night, and was loving it every time they used the MK23. At the time I wasn't sure. But you just confirmed it.

I think I will get the TM MK23, even though it is NBB. That is why it is so accurate (That is what I heard)

Hostler will be the problem, I really want to get the Blackhawk hostlers. But they don't do this side. :(

I have seen that in Wolf Armory and redwolfairsoft sell hostlers for it. Wonder if anyone know the best hostler for it.

Actually I might just hang it around my neck, if I can find a decent hostler for it. :)

I own a TM one.

Allow me to go off on one here:

It's big. Really big. Pistol's quite large too (ba-dum-tiss). Only realy way to holster it is with a Viper belt mounted adjustable holster. it's as big as a desert eagle. If you have small hands, forget it. If you want a pistol that is 'fast' forget it. If you want to be able to transition to it quickly, forget it. (Admittedly I do alright with mine, but I've used it almost every skirmish for the last 3 and a half years, often as a primary.) If you have the suppressor attached whilst it's in the holster (and you'll want to) your draw length is from grabbing the pistol at your hip, the pistol isn't free and usable until you have lifted the pistol grip up to your armpit.

Don't think you can get around this with a leg holster, then you'll never be able to kneel down again.

There are a lot of negatives with this pistol. BUT.

Jesus christ.

If you want a pistol that you can rely on, buy one. and only one. You will only ever need one. This has to be the most robust anything ever. Mine had taken a beating over the years. Then I dropped it. Fell out of my holster. Lost. Gone. My favourite RIF lost. not to mention it was £200 worth of pistol. This happened in November 2012.

Every game I played I looked around for it.

Then. Mid August. Peeking out from under some leaves.

NO.

FREAKING.

WAY.

9 bastard months.

The coldest winter for years, plus all the usual yorkshire countryside weather. Plus the heat from summer.

My MK23 had been out in it all. I would guess temperatures ranged from -5 to about 20 degrees over those months.

I picked it up. looked over it and pulled the trigger. 'thumf'. sheeeiiiiiiit It still worked. Hadn't let out ANY guess.

Aimed at a target 'thumf' again, straight as a die.

better check it over before I do any damage to it.

Popped the mag out, took out the takedown lever and slid the slide off.

yup, frame looks fine.

Check the upper.

a slug,

A mother f*cking slug.

right in the mechanism.

and it wouldn't let me down.

The pistol is awesome. It outranges most peoples AEGs all day erryday.

It cannot be heard outside of 10m and is impossible to locate the exact direction of the shooting within hearing range.

It's had more kills on its own that the entire rest of my arsenal, I'm convinced of it.

Some days I'll take out £800 worth up Laylaxed up VSR and do better with the MK23.

If I'm unsure about what to take to a game, I know I'll still have a good time if the MK23 is coming with me.

oh, and just for balance, I DO also have the ASG one (same as KJ etcetcetc) and it's wank. Just utter crap.

Yeah, I know what other people say about theirs, so maybe that shows how highly I hold this pistol. (and how terrified other players at my site are of it)

and to clear up some misinformation in this thread so far:

the TM MK23 and mags DO take Greengas, it will also take duster, 134a, 144a, red gas AND Guarder Black gas. I would imagine it handles propane fine, but I am NEVER putting that stink through my lovely pistol.

Special forces don't use it 'a lot' it is too big and too heavy for a sidearm.

and to agree with some other sentiments from the thread:

If you use one, you cannot be cooler.

They are stupid accurate.

They are THE BEST sniper sidearm

They are THE BEST woodland sidearm, regardless of playstyle

They are (playstyle/game dependednt) one of the best CQB sidearms.

BUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYITBUYIT

So at long as I can pull it out before anyone get near. I will stand a chance, because it is dead accurate.

Also I actually looked into this MK23 because the Navy Seal use it as an Offensive Handgun. On the link below.

http://navyseals.com/weapons-demo/

What if I get a belt hostler can place the MK23 on my left hip, and draw it with my right hand. Will it be faster to position it this way?

BTW, what is '£800 worth up Laylaxed up VSR'? Sorry I am new to Airsoft. Cheers. :)

oh, and just for balance, I DO also have the ASG one (same as KJ etcetcetc)

Does the ASG silencer work with the TM? Does it provide any benefit?

seals don't use the Mk23 anymore, they use the HK45C and Sig P226 exclusively... that website is a bit out of date :)

Who cares, Bruce Willis uses them. Bruce Willis > Navy seals :D

• Supporters

VSR is a TM Bolt action rifle. Mines had all sorts put in it upgrade wise and now shoots the 'nads off flys.

I tried swapping the suppressors over (tm on asg, asg on tm) and it only worked one way round (IIRC it was TM suppressor on asg pistol)

There is no benefit to putting the ASG suppressor on the TM. With the barrel in it shoots too hot, with the barrel removed the TM suppressor is quieter (and sexier) With any luck, I'll get some pics of my new suppressor up this week to show y'all what a REAL mans suppressor looks like.

ive got a TM mk23 and i love it, its my primary for cqb, with the p226 for quick action, had ASG/others, and they are nowhere as good, usually 3/4 reloads before re-gassing, i run them on propane, but have carried out the pressure valve mod, but ran for prob nearly a year before it popped, but the ASG mags dont have them and are just as good, ( maybe except the feed lips for some reason.....)

you can get dropleg holsters for them from the bay of E which holds them well even with lam on ( would recommend the cree upgrade for that also) for about £25. there is also a person on another unfriendly forum who makes them with good reviews

i totally agree with R-C-D best all-round sidearm

on a side note i do run mine on 0.28's, helps people notice their hits more......

• Supporters

Let's get it right, a MK23 is a USP with a slightly longer barrel and thread. Obviously it seems massive to girly handed peeps, but it's not that big. It's not as big as a DEagle; it's not even as big as a P45 Match (which is where sub-zero truly resides).

I carry my USP in a drop leg (and yeah, that's without a suppressor and about 12mm shorter). I have only had to quick draw it once, as a sniper back up - I managed to pull it and shoot 2 opponents, and I reckon I could have got a 3rd, before they could raise their AEG's from muzzle down cross chest carry - and this wasn't a sneaky thing, I was stood chatting in the middle of a track at GZ, nowhere near the closest skirmish, and a pair of Deltas turned up unexpectedly - we could all see each other as plain as day, I just reacted quickest.

So I don't see any reason to think that, without the suppressor, a MK23 would be difficult to quick draw. I expect it does depend on the size of your hands: mine are glove size 9 width but long, maybe 10 1/2 = just a blim too big for British Army size Large, but not enough for XL, so not massive by any means. Personally I expect I'd have more trouble drawing and aiming a tidler quick because my natural grip pulls them to the left and i have to consciously feel for the the trigger, since it is closer than my 'trigger pulling motion' expects to find it, which is also a bugger if the trigger guard is small.

IMAG0763.jpg

Let's get it right, a MK23 is a USP with a slightly longer barrel and thread. Obviously it seems massive to girly handed peeps, but it's not that big. It's not as big as a DEagle; it's not even as big as a P45 Match (which is where sub-zero truly resides).

Looking them up, the MK23 is 245mm long

The H&K USP is 173-240mm long (P45 match is the 240mm one so a massive 5mm shorter than the MK23 :P )

Desert Eagle is around 270mm long

So no, the MK23 isn't as big as a Deagle but it's in the same ballpark.

If you can find a decent holster than really the Mk23 should be relatively easy to draw as they are quite light. Obviously it would be easier to draw a glock etc. The cheaper Mk23's do tend to need the silencer for performance at any significant range so it you are going to rely on it as an emergency backup then the TM version would be advisable.

The cheap Mk23's (ASG/HFC) are never going to be as good as the TM one. If you are looking for a quiet pistol for CQB or a sniper backup and don't want to spend a lot of money however they are very decent pistols. Mine cost me £45 and gets me more kills relative to the length of time it's in my hand than any other gun.

• Supporters

hkmark23tactical41sj.jpg

deserteagle_vs_mark23.jpg

seals don't use the Mk23 anymore, they use the HK45C and Sig P226 exclusively... that website is a bit out of date :)

Thanks, I will add them to my list. :)

But for the HK45C, which Blackhawk holster will that fit??

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.