importing IF from US

ivicyrusivi
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey! Long time lurker, but first post :)

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... my question is slightly different to the others on here.

I'm in the process of obtaining UKARA, but do not have it yet. so i do not have a valid defence

I'm going to the US next month and was wondering if i could buy an airsoft gun (RIF) and import it... now i know this is a no no without valid defence, so in addition i was wondering what if i sprayed the lower receiver, grip and stock bright red - effectively turning it into an IF (obviously when i get my UKARA i can strip the paint)

Basically, are there any restrictions on bringing back an IF?

As well as this, i was considering buying a spare lower receiver and polarstar fusion engine - i guess there would be no restrictions on this?

Cheers

You'll obviously need to declare it to security when checking in (which also means guaranteed customs charges at the other end so add 23-24% to the purchase price). Also you will have an orange barrel end.

Is there a specific gun you're after as you'll probably find them cheaper from Hong Kong for big names, and the likes of Taiwanguns (in Europe so no import duty or VAT) cheaper for the lower end makes.

Orange flash hider not an issue as they come off with a little elbow grease

Not too bothered about declaring it... Still works out cheaper. Was looking at getting a g&p variant which here are around 400-500 depending on the variant. The US have them from $350

Taiwan guns don't have g&p, but cheers for the heads up, might check them out for parts. Will defo check out other eu retailers (never occurred to me)

Otherwise IF's should be ok, no?

About deceleration... Do airsoft parts eg lower/gearbox etc need to be declared?

I believe (i.e. contact HM Border Agency and check) that it's only items that look like weapons that need to go through security - can't see a motor or gearbox being an issue.

• Supporters

Yeah, declaring it is less about tax and more about getting onto a plane with an assault rifle in your luggage. Airlines frown on that kind of thing.

You'll need to check their regulations on how a weapon needs to be packaged, because even though it's just an airsoft gun most airlines will treat it like the real thing.

Archived