New guy question about revolvers

chainsoar

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, just getting into airsoft - honestly I haven't been to my first skirmish yet! - but I've got a feeling this is the kind of sport I can get into. I've already started giving some thought to what I might want to buy in the future if/when it comes time to get my own gear. I guess it seems like I'm getting ahead of myself a bit but I reckon the more thought I put into it, the better my chances of ultimately making a decent choice.

Anyway, the thing is, I really love revolvers. I like the way they look, work, shoot, feel, etc etc ad nauseam. Cowboys are cool and Dirty Harry was awesome. So, with that in mind, what are the makes and models I should be thinking about? I like the idea of a Colt Python/Anaconda or a Taurus Raging Bull replica. What should I be bearing in mind in terms of practicality, build quality, gas vs electric, and so on? Also, in your experience, does the issue of reloading in the heat of the moment become significantly less of an issue with time and practice? I've seen speed loaders, but I don't know how good they are, any input on those?

Sorry for the wall of questions, thanks in advance.

• Supporters

In airsoft they're not great at all. They're usable, yes, but very low capacity (6 or 24) compared to other gas pistols that can hold more rounds than that (plus you can get extended magazines for some models.)

But if you really want an airsoft revolver to skirmish with, go with Tokyo Marui. Their revolvers hold 24 rounds, performance is ok, but the shells don't come out and the aesthetics feel a bit cheap.

Reloading a revolver that uses shells can be incredibly annoying, the speed reloaders sort of help but the shells wobble around in the speed loader so you have to perfectly align the shells into the chambers.

If you want aesthetics, Marushin's revolvers are gorgeous, but they're a little expensive.

Sorry if I sounded negative.

All pistols are just for playing about with. You want a good Electric rifle to start with. Once you have all the gear you NEED, then start thinking about pistols. 24 shots is quite good for a pistol, the downside is that reloading a revolver mid game is not a viable option. The only time I have needed more than 24 rounds in a pistol is at a CQB site where I decide to ditch the big guns.

I know I need to prioritise thinking about a rifle, and I am (I like the look of a G36, but plan to try it out first along with an M4 to see what feels right). I'm just toying with ideas here, really. I'm very excited to get involved and thinking far in advance about what I might eventually want to put together.

Monty: don't worry about sounding negative, I need the input. I do really like revolvers, but unless I can find one that somehow manages to hold its own on par with a semi-auto, I'll have to satisfy myself with keeping one at home to knock down targets.

Thanks!

If you want something fun, but not really skirmishable, try a Dan Wesson revolver.

They're CO2 powered and chamber 6 shells which each take a single bb in the front, pretty much functions like the real thing.

Nice build quality, good weight, feels solid as anything and looks very cool.

Unfortunately don't own one myself but had a go at shooting downrange with the 4" version a couple weeks back with some metal bb's.

From what I remember although you can get low power shells to make it useable on the field (standard ones shoot very hot) they don't use 6mm rounds, making sourcing plastic ammunition quite difficult.

Edit: On the other hand though I may be completely wrong, unless wolf armouries are incorrect they do fire 6mm. http://www.wolfarmouries.co.uk/airsoft/bb/product.asp?page=product&id=17351

I have the TM M19 gas powered revolver (6 inch barrel version) and I have to say that it is fun to shoot but a bugger to reload. Each chamber holds four rounds so you have 24 shots and the gas chamber holds enough for around 36 shots (green gas) so you will need a way of refilling in game if you want to run this in longer games.

I carry mine as a backup weapon just in CQB as it lacks the punch to really be used in woodland as it only hits 250 fps on a good day. That said it is obviously site legal whereas some sites don't allow the ~400fps CO2 powered revolvers.

Don't get me wrong, it's a brilliant weapon but for the price tag you can get a TM MK23 which is a lot more practical... but you're obviously like me and overlooked that fact because revolvers are just awesome!

I've also got one of the TM 24 shot revolvers the Colt Python with 6 inch barrel, only had 1 skirmish with it so far, even though muppet that i am i left my can of gas out in the garden the night before lol, i still got a couple of kills with it defending a door so while there are lower in power than a lot of gas pistols used in the right circumstances there are great fun and that's what the aim of the game is right?

I use a dan wesson.

Hop mods are quite easy and then you can range about 50m with them.

Reloading is easy, just empty the used shells into a pocket and reload. Speed loaders help.

You can power down by shells or modding the hammer.

Using a revolver isn't hard if you practice reloading. It's just as easy to kill with one as a normal pistol. Just limited shots, but i run gas so i'm used to limited ammo anyway.

the downside is that reloading a revolver mid game is not a viable option.

I've reloaded my TM with a speed loader whilst being shot at, you just need steady hands. Keep it lined up with the shell hole and keep slamming the reloading road till they stop going in then move on to the next one lol. :ph34r:

Awesome posts, thanks guys. Black Death: that gun is beautiful. Also: you are one big b*stard! :P

I'm not too worried about the overall look of my loadout. A slightly mismatched, DIY kind of approach has always been more my thing and no doubt that will apply in airsoft too. :)

Another vote for Dan Wesson.

Ive got a 2.5" snub. In my experience, in the UK they come with the power down shells.

Tokyo Marui make good replicas too.

post-7324-0-47846400-1396682027_thumb.jpg

Holy crap, Black Death you have just made change my next gun purchase to one of those beasts!

• Supporters

Ur a monster, BD.

There seems to be too much to break or lose for me to risk buying a revolver, but I'm the next thing to brainless so maybe that's just me.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.