Saved a lot of money on 3D Printing!

declancase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Thinking of 3D printing Dangerwerx Type B arms for personal use as my brother has access to one at work. 3d printing looks a bit better than a lot of cast parts(Lol JG bar 10 hop arm) so I might give it a go and see how it works. Using a soft bucking I'm sure even the weakest of 3d printable plastics could hold up.

I think 3d printing could lead to a load of new hop up concepts,should be cool for all the techie goyim.

• Supporters

Finished the model of the hop arm on autocad,now going to make a few versions with different tolerances in dimensions. To be fair I copied the Dangerwerx Type B arm way too much for my liking but don;t fix what isn't broken amirite? It's not like I'm going to be that much a cnut and sell these anyway. It was fairly simple to make once I got a good reference picture. Guess my experience with blender may have helped n me getting the hang of autocad. I Will still message Dangerwerx Dave to see if he's fine with me using his design(Then again he did kind of use Noobie's designs which were more or less open source) However can;t hurt to be 100% sure.

The arm so far,looks identical to Dave's HE lever,It's a bit embarrassing :wacko:

VSR_hop_arm_2.png

Gucci H nubs may be harder but I'll give them a go soon. If I can sort something out with my brother and the 3D printer at his workplace then maybe I can get one or two production runs of gucci H nubs. If I ever do I'd imagine I'd sell them for about a euro or some each, depends on how expensive materials and all that craic is.

• Supporters

You know what would be TDB? An arm with a socket made to fit exactly onto a RA Tech / ASPUK style gucci H-nub.

If I had the blueprints and dimensions for the arm needed and the blueprints for the H nub it might be possible. of course it's best to have the physical things with you. I might give the design a whirl after I come back from a milsim this weekend.

For those asking about the strength of the plastics used take in mind that people are producing real steal weapons out of the stuff

Yeah out of better printers.

The quality of that part looks like the printer cost no more than £300.

The on at my uni however costs like £50,000. Smooth as silk, super strong and much more detail. Also does metal.

Used a Reprap (Cost about £250-£300 to make) to make a part to replace the weakened original, which is load bearing, for an Ergotron MX Monitor Arm, It currently has £3500 worth of monitor on it (all 13kg's of it), I have absolute faith that the one above would be more than sufficient for a go pro (<1kg?) :P

• Supporters

If I had the blueprints and dimensions for the arm needed and the blueprints for the H nub it might be possible. of course it's best to have the physical things with you. I might give the design a whirl after I come back from a milsim this weekend.

Not hard to work out - the 'bobbin' shape of the nub has to fit an arc of a 5.95+/-0.01mm + (2x0.65mm ~ hop rubber thickness) Ø circle* into its curve.

so if we stick with tradition and call butt-to-muzzle the Z axis, side to side Y, and up/down X

then in the Z/Y plane the 'tab' which will contact the nub will be a simple rectangle

in the X/Y plane a convex arc of the same *Ø circle

and the clever bit - in the X/Z plane it will be a concave arc of that circle...

that way the nub will not have anywhere to move whatsoever and so the pressure exerted by the hop arm will be completely even across both Y and Z axes, only flexing in the X axis by an amount determined by the stiffness of nub and arm vs hop setting (ie a new chapter in approaching the holy grail of backspin rotating around an axis exactly perpendicular to the BB's trajectory)

yw

just remember you all read it here first ;)

Yeah out of better printers.

The quality of that part looks like the printer cost no more than £300.

The on at my uni however costs like £50,000. Smooth as silk, super strong and much more detail. Also does metal.

Do you have access to this printer? :)

Possibly for my final year project due soon, but i dont have FREE access.

They only allow you to print parts relevant to what im doing.

Afraid it's the same situation for my brother-The 3D printer they have is only for prototyping products and not for personal use. However another option is to go to UCD,where my brother is doing his PHD, and fork out 30 quid to use it. Sadly,that's just to expensive for me at the moment,I can buy an AirsoftPro HE lever for about 15 euro with shipping :(

I guess the next step is to wait till next year when I'm in 5th year and can dick about in tech class and get to use our new CNC mill.

• Supporters

Couple o'years and they'll be in local print shops. Can't come fast enough for my liking.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.