Upgrading my M4

Hendy
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I plan on going to my local site again in a few weeks and I really want to change up my m4 right now besides the scope it is bog standard I would like to shorten the barrel and have a different stock. I also want to change whats in my gear box to something better. Would I be able to do all this with around £70 - £80?

post-1608-0-22042800-1395696851_thumb.jpg

£70 - £80 is pretty doable, what do you want to change in the gearbox?

higher rof and I am not sure if its to do with the gearbox but getting rid of most of the delay when pulling the trigger.

• Supporters

higher rof and I am not sure if its to do with the gearbox but getting rid of most of the delay when pulling the trigger.

Hmm, with a budget of £80, this might be a bit tricky. If you want better ROF then get yourself a mosfet and a lipo, as for the gearbox you'll need to perfectly shim it and replace the gears with high speed gears, and you might want to correct the angle of engagement too. Should cost around £40,

You didnt say what model the AEG is - I presuming whatever it is, its bog standard?

As above, get a decent mosfet installed and get a 11.1v or 7.4v lipo (dunno what you're powering it with at the moment) will be the cheapest way of improving trigger response and upping the ROF.

That said, you have to consider other factors depending what internals the gun has at the moment. If its a budget AEG then sticking a 11.1 lipo in it is not a great idea as the wiring, piston, bushings etc may not be up to the job.

Increasing ROF for 80£ is a piece of cake. May take some work however,send it to a tech if you are not confident.

Wire a mosfet,shim the gun properly,and correct the angel of engagement. Then wire the gun to deans connectors and use a 7.4v 30c lipo or something.

shims and sorbopads are dirt cheap,mosfet can be cheap enough too. If you buy from hobbyking you can save lots of money on the lipo and deans.

For the stock and front end you could think about going with Magpul gear, £15 - £20 for the stock (clone) and £20 for the front end. £10 - £20 for the mosfet kit (includes wiring, deans and connectors. New LIPO and charger £25.

To shorten it you'll need to spend more on changing out the outer barrel etc. Personally I'd create a new hobby gun and build a secondary stubby M4 from leftover parts.

I wont be the one working on the aeg as I have never taken it apart before just to add. It is a Ares and is just bog standard besides the spring being clipped as 328 is the limit at my site. right now I am powering it with a ni-mh 8.4v 1600mah. If I was to change over to a lipo I would also need to buy a new charger I think.

Okay so from my shopping list of things to buy soon are m100 guarder spring, SHS high torque motor, SHS 13:1 gear set, two 11.1 lipos, Deans connector and a mosfet.

I think this is everything I need.

Is there any specific order I should buy it all in as I wont be able to buy all of it in one go.

My advice, open your gun ONCE, do all the work you need to do to it in one go and then leave it alone... self tapping screws, poor quality metals etc will degrade if you're taking it to bits all the time.

Max amount of time it will be open is twice. I personally wont be doing the work as I just don't have the experience and I don't want to ruin my first AEG because I did something wrong. but thanks for the advice.

Yep, one will fit in your gun, the other one won't! You need a long motor for an M4.

Thanks uh would that website be the best to get the gear set and torque motor I cant really find the motor except for on ebay

Archived