Airsoft newbie, long time shooting enthusiast

chainsoar
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello, recently succumbed to a long held urge to buy a couple of airsoft guns for popping at targets and am now looking into going to a couple of skirmish events to see what it's like. I haven't done much shooting of any kind for a few years but I was shooting .22s from early childhood right up into my late teens and I've always found target shooting relaxing and enjoyable. I'm based in south Devon and was thinking of trying out one of Skirmish Exeter's monthly dedicated walk-on airsoft days, so if anyone here has any input on them that'd be much appreciated. I'll be taking my own gear as I don't want to rely on rental guns that might be absolute crap (I remember all too vividly the horror of the godawful rental guns my brother and I got stuck with when we went paintballing once or twice). They're two-tone but my take on that is the only person suffering for it is me - if it makes me more visible then please, feel free to shoot me.

Also, is there anyone here who knows the Torbay area that can point me towards some local private landowners who are amenable to having airsofters shoot at some targets on their property? I'm in the Paignton area and I'm not really sure who to go to. If it was a little bit more rural it'd probably be easier but it's just urban enough that there aren't really many farms or private woodlands nearby.

Thanks!

Thanks for the input on that, jim. If that's the case then there must be a higher standard of rental gear maintenance on airsoft sites than at the paintball games I've been to. I'll never forget my brother's friend's gun discharging 6 paintballs into the side of my kneecap at point blank range before a game. I'm fairly certain he meant to do it once for a laugh but the gun chose that moment to freak out and full-auto into my leg!

Rental guns aren't perfect but it's worth while for sites to have them in working order in order to get repeat custom. It's best to do a few games with the rental guns to get a feel for it before shelling out for your own. You need to do a minimum of 3 games in a period of at least 2 months before you can buy a non 2 tone gun anyway so it's a good idea to use the time to see what sort of gun will suit you best. It's worth reading the guides in the new player sectionso you know what to expect. Also avoid the urge to buy anything from any of the web sites with bbguns in the name.

• Supporters

Heya, I'm a semi-regular at Skirmish Exeter, their rental guns are halfway decent so I wouldn't worry about that. If you haven't already I'd suggest joining the Skirmish Exeter Facebook group ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/skirmishexeter/ ), there's some really good guys that go along, but also some clueless mongs, take all advice with a pinch of salt! That includes mine.

Other local-ish sites for you to consider are;

UCZ Bunker (also Exeter, no rentals though; - Decent CQB site, runs a game on a friday night once a month, not for the faint hearted as indoors is VERY CQB.

Bolt Head bunker (near Salcombe http://www.op-tac.co.uk/index.php?option=com_booking&Itemid=237&view=subject&id=26:bolt-head) - not been myself but a few guys I know rave about it,

Mad Momma's in Saltash ( https://www.facebook.com/airsmurf?fref=ts ) is probably the most newbie friendly site I've ever been to, the rental guns are good, the walk on costs are cheap and the games/marshalling are excellent. Be sure to book in plenty of time though because they limit the numbers at any given game and they book out fast!

If you're after a place to go to and handle some guns to see what you like, Lock & Load Airsoft in Plymouth have a decent selection of gun styes, though their range is definitely geared towards the more budget conscious airsofter, it's a good opportunity to check out the ergonomics of different types of guns. For example, I LOVE the look of an AK but can't get on with the controls and magazine release. Conversely, I hate the look of a G36... but it just feels so right!

Thanks for the replies and advice. I did make a couple of cheap, cautious purchases from 'onlybbguns' of spring action pistols to get back into the feel of shooting, but based on what I've read here and elsewhere, I'll go somewhere else for future purchases. I will say, though, for anyone looking to buy guns just for a bit of plinking at paper targets etc, they're not bad at all. Anyway, I'll go with rental gear for my first few skirmishes.

I'm excited to get into this hobby and I've even purchased some bio bb's, mesh goggles and a woodland shemagh/keffiyeh to complete my weekend warrior getup! Now here's hoping my mate who I've invited along to try it out with me gets into it too, so I can get a lift to the site :P

Sorry for the thread bump but I wanted to post a little update. My shemagh and googles arrived. Had to learn how to tie this thing, then I looked in the mirror and the advice of a friend, given to me when I mentioned taking an interest in airsoft, ran through my head: "don't go full retard."

http://i.imgur.com/68qU1mr.jpg

..I think I may have gone at least half-retard? :D

Archived