Washing up liquid

Cheeky vimto
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

For those of us that use washing up liquid to try beat the ever problem of glasses steaming up I'd just thought I'd mention this.

Last Wednesday I played for only the 2nd time this year. I've been using fairy liquid since September and never wash it off after a skirmish. They are stored in a hard case in my bag so not to get damaged. I got them out on Wednesday to put them on and both hinges of the arms crumpled away (the arms are plastic).

image_zpse7e7810d.jpg

The only thing I could think to cause this would be the washing detergent reacting with the plastic? It's a bit of a coincidence that both sides would crumple and break off at the same time.

Anyone else experience this?

Just a thought;

When I apply the detergent I wipe it off the lense. There is always a little bit that will get in the hinges and it's nearly impossible to get a rag in there. That's why the lenses were fine but the hinges broke off?

• Supporters

Washing up liquid is EVIL stuff. Just as an FYI - never use it to wash your car, the salts in it will knacker your paint.

All that washing up liquid is besed on is whats called a surfactant. It's the exact same base chemical thats used in shampoo, car cleaning products, detergent based patio cleaner & concrete plasticizers.

the only differance between the above is the amount of surfactant & perfuming agents they add. We use pure surfactant at my work & store it in plastic containers so it wont be the actual detergent used in washing up liquid, but could be the stuff they use for either making it smell nice or even if its a lemon scented one could contain citric acid.

If you were to dive in a vat of surfactant all that would happen to you is that you would go wrinkly in seconds & come out slimy. but nothing bad would happen to you. But yeh as Lozart says, cheap detergent manufacturers often use salt/salt replacements as bulking agents but luckily due to certain changes in chemical manufacturing this is being phazed out......Shampoo companies are the worst culprets of that one.

Archived