help with motor

tomola
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

so i got my new g&p m4 yesterday and i love it it was shooting 335fps and 22rps with a 9.6v last night when i opened it, i came to set the hop today and all i get is a horrible grinding sound from the motor like its not connecting with the gears properly ive adjusted the motor height and it doesnt turn in its highest position and it still does the grating sound as i wind it down even doing it 1/8 of a turn at a time. ive phoned proairsoft supplies and there happy to collect it and have their tech fix it its just a hassle for me i was wondering if anyone had any insight if i can fix it without having to send it back so i can still skirmish tomorrow. ive read that it might be the shimming of the gears in which case it has to go back because im not experienced with gearbox and dont want the invalidate the warranty on a £350 gun.

• Supporters

I'm afraid it sounds like something inside the gearbox is jammed. There are a number of possible culprits, but you would have to open it to find out. It is highly unlikely to be the shims, because it wouldn't have worked at all if the gears were shimmed too tight. If your main concern is the warranty, which is not a bad idea to keep in mind, I'm 99% sure there's nothing you can do personally. Oh yeah, and punctuation makes reading a whole lot easier. Leaving it out is not merely lazy, it is inconsiderate.

i dont think anythings jammed its because i can see the nozzle moving when i look down the hop unit, im only concerned about the warranty from a cost of fixing point of view, if they dont sort it out this week ill just send it to zero one for fixing they've done my old gun before and were quick about it as well.

• Supporters

If it's a G&P, still firing but making an awful noise I wouldn't be surprised to see a broken shaft on the spur gear. Shooting in this state will cause a massive gauge in the gearbox case.

Don't use it and send it back to PAS, ask for them to fit non-G&P gear set under warranty.

• Supporters

Ah right, I didn't realise it was still firing. As Dave says above then. If you want to learn yourself, probably better to do it on a cheap project gun you build from 2nd-10th hand bits. Otherwise, the warranty ought to save you a lot of money on teching.

Have they got a reputation for that happening? Will they fit a non g and p set? This is unbelievably annoying I only got it yesterday ha

• Supporters

G&P everything is great.

Except their gears.

I've replaced 2 G&P gearsets in 3 weeks and I've only been in 3 G&P guns in that time (the 3rd had a different gearset anyway) - I'm the techie at Patrol Base

So yeah, I'd say they have a reputation for it happening.

TBH, for what it's worth, if they won't replace the gearset FOC, ask if they'll do the labour FOC and buy a new set of non G&P yourself. It looks like they have SHS gears in stock and they're more than capable of working for longer than a day :rolleyes:

If they start getting funny about replacing them I'll just send it to zero one my they repaired my other gun and my mate had his upgraded by them, I'm a mechanical engineer so I could probably work it out, but with it being and expensive gun I don't wana do it myself. So you'd recommend some shs gears for it? I know it's got and m120 motor because I had it out to see if it was that but it's perfectly fine there

• Supporters

SHS Gears are some of the best you can get without spending silly money. They are way better than many more expensive sets too, Systema and Prometheus for eg.

Archived