Retail therapy.... I'm finally gonna play at THE MALL

Black Death
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

When I first ever got into airsofting, I punched 'airsoft' into google and the tube and came across loads of footage from the mall. I decided once I got my kit together I was gonna go ASAP but I've still never been

I've decided I've got to go or I may burst so will be heading to a game soon. I only skirmish at cqb sites so it won't be entirely different to what I'm used to, but baring learning the layout, is there any tips you guys could give me for the place to stop me being 'ice cream' for the regulars

I already have a decent torch so thought I'd mention that before you all say it at once lol

Lol... At least 2 or 3 times in the day I wil get friendly kills but it's usually due to the style of play my teams adopts. Call it 'deliberate kaos' or whatever you want but it's usually funny. Doing it on purpose though is most deffo not though. If I am intentionally killed by a teammate who tells me I'm in his way I may 'accidentally' place a moscart in his gob and set it off

Guest PT247

Not played the mall yet so no help there... just a comment re the torch..... I love my night games, I also really enjoy playing in The Tunnels at Epsom which are pitch black in over 50% of the play areas, I only ever switch on my taclight when I am shot out or out of play, they destroy your natural night vision and that of those around you. Far better to learn to trust your other senses. I managed 3 shots, 3 kills in pitch black at Epsom last visit. If the site is mostly lit then a tac light can help with shadow areas but if it is a dark site then embrace it buddy :-)

Tell you what mate... You must be part Jedi or summin! That's brilliant advice geez. Will deffo bare that in mind. Being a person of African heritage (I is blick) I may gain an advantage with my 'natural' camo. Just gotta remember not to smile lololololol

I will have a red dot with also and 4 moscarts. I have an oshiboom but unsure as yet whether they are allowed there

Tell you what mate... You must be part Jedi or summin! That's brilliant advice geez. Will deffo bare that in mind. Being a person of African heritage (I is blick) I may gain an advantage with my 'natural' camo. Just gotta remember not to smile lololololol

I will have a red dot with also and 4 moscarts. I have an oshiboom but unsure as yet whether they are allowed there

tim-burtons-cheshire-cat-1347943723_b.gi

This image just came to mind :)

• Supporters

Oshibooms are fine for the Mall. Moscarts have an MED of 15 feet though (and you have to be completely physically IN the area you're firing into as well - no firing round corners with them).

When are you going? Be good to meet up!

• Supporters

Not played the mall yet so no help there... just a comment re the torch..... I love my night games, I also really enjoy playing in The Tunnels at Epsom which are pitch black in over 50% of the play areas, I only ever switch on my taclight when I am shot out or out of play, they destroy your natural night vision and that of those around you. Far better to learn to trust your other senses. I managed 3 shots, 3 kills in pitch black at Epsom last visit. If the site is mostly lit then a tac light can help with shadow areas but if it is a dark site then embrace it buddy :-)

A lot of the Mall is pitch black, but in addition there's a lot of stairs in the dark parts. A torch is not essential but you may well be at a disadvantage without one. We've found that blue LED or UV torches are good though because they help you see enough to navigate, but don't spill enough light to give away your position!

Went last week. Awesome site, deffo going back. I can only echo what others have said, I personally found white light torches annoying as they spoilt my night vision, if you must take one be polite and put a red/orange filter on it.

• Supporters

Went last week. Awesome site, deffo going back. I can only echo what others have said, I personally found white light torches annoying as they spoilt my night vision, if you must take one be polite and put a red/orange filter on it.

Thing is - that's kind of the point. You need a nice, low light torch to see where you're going and a big F-off one for blinding your opponent!

The problem is people using one the whole time rather than when they need to. Lack of tatical knowledge I guess....

• Supporters

Personally i think any sort of blinding tactic is "unsportsman like" and i'd be tempted to insert the torch deep inside the offender.

Fair enough, I see it as part and parcel of the game. We all have different tactics at end of the day and if a torch means you can see the enemy at distance in the dark then I'm going to use one.

Why not though? I don't think sticking your torch in the opponents retina is what's being suggested, merely dazzling them with a quick flash of light and then a couple of shots to the chest. If it's not nice shining bright lights at people you need to write a letter of complaint to the buggers that invented the flashbang.....

• Supporters

Why not though? I don't think sticking your torch in the opponents retina is what's being suggested, merely dazzling them with a quick flash of light and then a couple of shots to the chest. If it's not nice shining bright lights at people you need to write a letter of complaint to the buggers that invented the flashbang.....

And let's not get started on strobes....

Just doesn't feel like fair play to me, deliberately making your opponent uncomfortable to that degree just to make a kill in a game being played for fun just seems to be a dick move, i'm a table top wargamer too i play warhammer 40k to me it would be like bring the hottest tournament army list to play in a friendly game against your mates.

And let's not get started on strobes....

Jesus, I hate being strobed but it's all part of the game and I've no problems with folk using them tactically, it's good sense to use the tools you've got access to. I think for dark CQB sites it's a good idea to have a couple of different lights- one for looking where you're going (which I generally use to get back to the safe zone between games as it's attched to my hat and it seems to attract headshots if used mid-game) and one for using to shine at folk.

I've found restricting the amount of torch use in dark games/ areas to be a big help though as there are normally folk who keep their torches on permanantly and gives away their position so you can get the drop on them as they're approaching doors and whatnot. Same goes for folk who have their lasers on constantly and then have their gun pointed infront of them, they may aswell just start shouting that they're on their way.

Just doesn't feel like fair play to me, deliberately making your opponent uncomfortable to that degree just to make a kill in a game being played for fun just seems to be a dick move, i'm a table top wargamer too i play warhammer 40k to me it would be like bring the hottest tournament army list to play in a friendly game against your mates.

Are BFGs unfair play? I mean, they're loud and might hurt another players hearing or maybe scare any younger players, you could say they might even make folk feel uncomfortable during the game. At the end of the day a lot of players strive for realism (within reason), I don't see anything wrong with using certain tactical techniques to give yourself the advantage over an opponent.

Lozart I'm going next Sunday mate. Make sure you come over and introduce yo'self bro.

I will try to get to a shop to buy a filter for my torch. I have a very bright torch as well as a not so bright one on my peq

Damn I didn't know some people felt that way about bright torches/strobes. Where I play it's pretty standard to do so but if it's not liked at the mall I won't do it. It's good to know these things before hand so as not to unnecessarily upset folk

• Supporters

Lozart I'm going next Sunday mate. Make sure you come over and introduce yo'self bro.

I will try to get to a shop to buy a filter for my torch. I have a very bright torch as well as a not so bright one on my peq

Damn I didn't know some people felt that way about bright torches/strobes. Where I play it's pretty standard to do so but if it's not liked at the mall I won't do it. It's good to know these things before hand so as not to unnecessarily upset folk

23rd? I'll be there!

As far as the Mall goes, strobes are allowed unless anyone comes forward on the day as having photosensitive epilepsy, lasers are allowed but ONLY up to chest height and not to be switched on permanently (ie they can be used to indicate a position but not just "on"). Nobody has yet complained about being blinded by torches (to my knowledge). Most people only use them to see enemies at a distance anyway (there's some long dark corridors) and even the brightest of torches don't reach THAT far. I have an Element Scout torch on the rifle (about 150 lumens) and a 230 lumen one on my M9, I'm sure you'll be fine. Ths torch in fact http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/7377-the-what-have-you-just-bought-thread/?p=135317

I agree that doing it up close IS a dick move but in all honesty trying to navigate the Mall in the dark without a torch is actually potentially dangerous in some areas!

Dont fall over...its embarresing, dont walk into someone when you come tight round a corner.

Oh and if its very dark, make sure u keep ur mag changes smooth haha.

All blueberry mistakex but easy ones to make in the dark

As far as I'm concerned if you do indoor CQB then using torches is part of the gameplay. You have to know when to use it to best advantage so that when you give away your position you get maximum benefit. Temporarily blinding your enemy can give you that advantage. I don't mean you should actually blind them, just destroy their night vision. Strobes however are a PITA, if someone uses a strobe it is fair game to try and shoot their torch out :D

Archived