Why american?

CON
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Scorpiosxs. UKSF do not use the M4. They use a L119A1, very similar but not the same gun.

They USED to use M16s back in the 1980's/1990's but not anymore. There's probably a few kicking about in armouries still but they'll train on the L119A1 or whatever weapon they're taking into combat.

With regards to camo, they have more freedom (not complete) of choice while they are away on operation. Basically it has to be a NATO pattern and they only bother with US or UK stuff. Anyway nowadays its redundant as they're all using multicam.

As for kit they have some freedom of choice but not as much as people seem to make out. As said beofre if they are usign anything not endorsed or issued by the army (even a belt rig) they will need separate insurance to cover any injuries occurred if they were wearing it. For instance you break your ankle wearing non-MoD approved boots and it ends your career or you need time off the Army might not give you any compensation for it as they did not approve you wearing them.

Also you will only see people in non-British camo on operation or about to go on op as in base they have to wear DPM/MTP (depending on era) at base etc.

If you do go on Google images of say SAS in Iraq, Task Force Black, most recent and abundant UKSF pictures you'll notice its only the camouflage and what/where their pouches are that changes. They all use L119A1s, RAVs, Sig P226s, Blackhawk! CQC serpas MICH 200 helmets.

The rule with any SF loadout is that there's so much "my mate's friend said this" that only pictures count. An even then positively IDing the pictures is difficult.

Also SFSG are not the same as UKSF. UKSF consists of SAS and SBS. The SFSG is their "support group" not actually in the SAS or SBS. They are formed mainly out of 1 Para but with elements of Royal Marines and RAF Regiment. They are the equivalent of the US Army Rangers, they were even going to be called the rangers at one point.

But with regards to your question which I replied to earlier but you seemed to miss it:

But back to the question as to why you see more US.. basically its different and there more options. Also Asian companies make US parts for the US market whereas the UK market is usually to small for them to make a replica Mk.7 or SA80 bayonet for instance.

The fact the US is different is probably the biggest reason. No one really wants to wear DPM as they can be considered a noob and MTP is all over the place that its nearly as common if not more common then DPM.

I went for African loadouts are finishing my US and UKSF loaoduts as it was something different.

But why do you find people wearing US loadouts "Tacky and *pretentious"?

And are you talking about specifically American loadout or do you just not get the whole why people replicate real forces?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must admit i really like the american stuff not for the hollywood look but i know some do. for me i collect uniforms and the american stuff is one the better made and is up to date... also for me i am big on the legs and esp the trousers do not restrict my movement or rub like the british.

So is your question why do people do American loadouts?

Any why do you think they're "Tacky and *pretentious"?

I just ment peapols pearsonal preference and it wasnt at the loadout thing, just in genral , names and a bit of kit, I got a lot of friends some of them sucsessfull milsimers based on us forces,

Just why people are attracted to the loadouts they use.

And as for my tacky comment, thats just my pearsonal view on it , I guess because of the link between media and airsoft , no offences ment just not my cup of tea, although I do have a lot of U.S kit -_-

Well its simple, people like it.. there's not really much else to it

Oh I do love reading through a thread like this, certain people who know what they're talking about, some people saying 'I think' a lot and some people talking absolutely out of their arses and clearly know feck all

Brings a smile to my face every time one pops up

Yep, I was hoping for peoples opinions on why they use their kit in airsoft, not what military uses witch kits.

Ah well, internet ;)

Just thankfull this is a airsoft forum, seems to be much more friendly and chilled than other communties.

Yea there are some places where you say the UKSF use and M4 and that its the same as a L119A1 and they will hunt you down and kill you!

Yeah I know thats me not thinking before I type, I did go onto say m416, then hk416, then I said I got it muddled up and ment the hk417...witch is used

Its a common mistake anyone could of made

Shhhh

Do you guys think that it's possible that because in Hollywood the Americans always win/survive that subconsciously people associate the kit with being a hero? Just a thought

Just had another thought... If we flew over the pond to play with the yanks would we see lots of them wearing Brit kit?

And then we wonder why Americans think everybody worships them lol. They flood us with they're crappy tv, bad eating habits and take us to wars we don't need to get involved in

The day I wear American insignia/flag will be the day I die. I'm not a racist or anything... I'm just proud to be born in Britain and yank-worshiping gets on my tits

If I went to a site and saw predominantly Brit camo my heart would swell with pride!

I think that might be a slight over analysis with regards to the subconscious thing.

Although I would agree with the view that its heavily popularised through TV meaning people are far more knowledgeable about it

Did you see the Ross Kemp Afghanistan thing where he was being trained to shoot? The instructor watched him, gave him his score then turned around and said "ultimate force my arse". TV gold!

Link to a clip anyone? Can't seem to find it.

I don't like the whole idea of being the same. I have to be different. Hated the whole idea of people acting like dicks to be cool and popular and those annoying loud cunts who try to be funny in class. Made friends with a goth, an ultra conservative christian and a psychopath. Can't even wear a matching pair of socks.

Because f*ck Convention.

I think this can be applied to Airsoft in a way. You have those Ultra realist milsimmers who want to look cool and be in a big solid unit with the same gear thinking they are the dog's bollocks.

No offence to any of these sorts on the forums. I hate you.

Guest PT247

a goth, an ultra conservative christian and a psychopath. Can't even wear a matching pair of socks.

I think those just about cover my previous lives.... I actually look for another sock if I find a matching one.... it really winds my boss up lol :D

I think those just about cover my previous lives.... I actually look for another sock if I find a matching one.... it really winds my boss up lol :D

My head of Key Stage gave up after a while. Two black socks are boring. Why not brighten things up a bit with a yellow sock and black one with a reindeer on it for good measure. Of course on nights out and more formal occasions there are rules. My formal for example; a blue one and a purple one.

I don't like the whole idea of being the same. I have to be different. Hated the whole idea of people acting like dicks to be cool and popular and those annoying loud cunts who try to be funny in class. Made friends with a goth, an ultra conservative christian and a psychopath. Can't even wear a matching pair of socks.

Because f*ck Convention.

I think this can be applied to Airsoft in a way. You have those Ultra realist milsimmers who want to look cool and be in a big solid unit with the same gear thinking they are the dog's bollocks.

No offence to any of these sorts on the forums. I hate you.

Mate I know exactly what you mean. I play with a largish group but we have no dress code. Only 2 out of the 12 guys wear the same because they like they're old original army uniforms. Other than that it's completely different. We are all different nations as well including black British, British, polish, Colombian, asain British, Vietnamese, Irish, Portuguese and much much more. We are diverse on so many levels. If I wanted to play with folk who insisted I wear the same gear or use similar weapons I'd probably play naked just to spite them and insist of getting knife kills with my knob!

Being different and expressing your personality in your loadout is what makes airsoft fun. Who wants to blend in anyways

Fuck I wish my socks would match , bstard machine always eat them,

Ha yeah I get you, I mean I understand hardcore miksimers playing at milsim events aas it does look quite fun, but its when you get milsim groups at public skirms taking it to seriously shouting at people , barking orders nd raging about noobs n kids....skrims are supposed to mixed mashed careless fun.

I do think people need to be careful of reverse snobbery in the airsoft community. I am fully aware that there are some groups of people who have all the best kit etc and look down on noobs and will shout orders at a skirmish (never witnessed it myself) but that does in no way mean that everyone who has nice kit or bases loadouts on real forces is like that and it would be very wrong to assume that until you've actually played with them.

Also there is a difference between someone shouting orders at people and someone asking for support, covering fire, telling others an area or is and other communication. For the vast majority of the time you are trying to get an objective and you are in a team so communication is probably a good idea.

I would disagree a skirmsih is "careless" fun as if that was the case no one would bother taking objectives and would just shoot their own team mate for the hell of. They are very much supposed to be fun for everyone which includes first timers to people who would go to milsims and on the whole they manage it quite well and occasionally one or two characters, regardless of whether they're a noob or milsimmmer, will try to cheat etc

True... It's a threat to security.

Do you mean milsimmers at normal skirmishes?

• Supporters

Link to a clip anyone? Can't seem to find it.

http://www.veoh.com/watch/v6986475JntNDhHk watch around 15 minutes in. In correction the instructor actually says "SAS my arse" but hey, near enough!

I wear DPM because it is he best for our temperate woodland. It's what it is designed for. Multicam is just a money saving exercise as far as I can see.

Looking 'cool' is all very well but choosing gear that is effective is best.

DPM shirt or jacket and green 'Lightweight' trousers look best to my mind, but then. I am old and that's what I grew up with :)

Archived