Why american?

CON
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Not more, just different. Although the lines are blurring more and more, when you look at similiarities between the Osprey and the OTV for example. Ultimately any given problem will have a multitude of solutions but over time they will all gravitate towards a common, optimum solution.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats what I mean , special forces have ghe freexom to choose their entire loadouts and obiously whefever they operate will effect their choice, if you look at us and uk special forces togethef in iraq afgan or wherever they use pretty much the same kit.

And as for regular soldiers marines etc, sure they have different camo etc but the whole thing that the us use more tac gear is bollox.

Not really, again uk and us special forces use almost the same kit...

Hi,

I am sorry but no. The kits are not the same. There are some similarities but also some very major differences.

There is some gear swapping with regards to US camo being used by UK forces and the odd bit of load carrying gear but thats where it ends. You won't see a USSF soldier in DPM

Also special forces are NOT given freedom to choose their own loadout. They are given a set of kit and can choose to get stuff from there onward. It makes no sense for someone to buy themselves a new plate carrier, have to take out insurance for the plate carrier than use the perfectly good one provided by UKSF.

Also weapon modifications are also limited. The idea that you can bring your own scope is not true. SF units have a range of kit to choose from but they don't buy their own. There is also absolutely no bringing your own weapons. Source of this is directly from SEAL Team 5 sailor.

In quoting an ex-SAS captain the US do use more tac gear. He said if you want a group to do urban ops the US are the way forwards as hey have all the tech and gear to support it. However, if you want someone to sit in a hole in the middle of a jungle then UK every time. Granted recently UK forces are using more but it is still limited compared to that of the US.

What you will generally tend to find is that the UKSF are a step or two behind the US.. commonly used kit, eg Paraclete RAV was used by UKSF in Iraq and Afghanistan but is now only used in training with USSF who opt for LBT gear now. NVGs are also a step behind the Americans are are helmets. We were using PEQ2s when they're using PEQ15s.

Oh and UKSF don't use M4s they use L119A1 which are Diemaco C8 carbines. Similar but not the same.

But back to the question as to why you see more US.. basically its different and there more options. Also Asian companies make US parts for the US market whereas the UK market is usually to small for them to make a replica Mk.7 or SA80 bayonet for instance.

The fact the US is different is probably the biggest reason. No one really wants to wear DPM as they can be considered a noob and MTP is all over the place that its nearly as common if not more common then DPM.

I went for African loadouts are finishing my US and UKSF loaoduts as it was something different.

Sfg do have freedom of choice, you loom at sfsg or uksfg and theyre kits are off spectrum and matching those of usa sog.

Also british army dont just use dpm.

And its not necessarly the kits im on about but the whole thing of milsim to match

Haha oh well like I said just a random rant, and its what people enjoy so just ignore me :)

• Supporters

Uk sf do use the m4, the use the hk416 french licensed version

Come again :huh:

• Supporters

The 'closest thing' to the 'M4' UKSF use IS the Canadian C8SFW which is the 16" inch version, we also have the 10" barrel variety. The Brits haven't used an M16 for years, even then I'm sure I've read that it was the Canadian C7 and only ever trialed the HK416 as far as I was aware.

I tend to be in the "wear whatever works" camp. My kit looks more UKSF than US, being multicam based, but I could pass off as either with a few changes. I don't really go for the whole thing of making a loadout 100% accurate, just what is comfortable and works well.

The sasdefinatly have m16s and they used to use them in service , not to sure if they still do, but they definatly have them in stock.

And yes the c8 is used... I ment hk417 not 16 my bad -_-

• Supporters

tumblr_lkzaeq4vRJ1qz4a7ho1_400.jpg

As it says at the bottom of that page "not endorsed by or affiliated with the ministry of defence | all information is non-classified & sourced from public domain" while it may be true, posting it on the internet doesn't make it so.

• Supporters

SFSG are NOT UKSF, they'd like to think they are but they're just under command of the directorate of SF. They are, as the name suggests, a support group.

As for there being a mishmash of kit, you're wrong, UKSF are issued the Paraclete SOHPC, Paraclete RAV and recently the LBT6094RS in multicam, pretty much anything else you'll have seen is either old or not legit. Clothing comes down largely to personal preference though these days it's multicam or multicam, MTP isn't really an option (why would you wear PCS cut MTP trousers when you're issued Cryes in multicam?!)

DPM has been entirely phased out for all UK forces now, EVERYONE is in MTP, even the RAF. any SFSG dudes you see still cutting about in DPM smocks are doing it to look ally and it's not officially endorsed, they've all been issued an MTP smock that they should be using.

The Diemaco C8 SFW (also known as the L119A1) and the 10" CQB variant are the rifles used by UKSF, along with a few MP7s being used by guys in Poole. No one has confirmed the use of the HK417 and it's far more likely instead that they'd be using the LMT sharpshooter rifle designated the L129A1. M16's haven't been seen since the early 90's.

Where you're getting your information from I have no idea but it's almost all at best out of date and at worst just plain wrong.

• Supporters

Winchester.

They used to be used, as has been said- no ones denied that, these day its the diemaco c8 that's used though, that website is out if date.

You need some good evidence to prove otherwise, which you haven't provided.

The uk sfsg are a sfg...dont know where you got that idea from. And this thread seems to be getting twisted iinto something else.

I dont know why the whole dpm mtp withng keeps popping up, and again uksf do have a freedom of choice, ofcoyrse they have a standard issue kit, however they are not glued to using it...trust me im not just yapping about some idea thats been typed up on wiki...

And please can we unwarp this thread back to the original topic rather than a who knows what quiz?

• Supporters

That website is so HOPELESSLY out of date I honestly wouldn't trust any of it! They still list JSG as being an active unit (it isn't, got renamed and restructured about 5 years ago), 846, 848 and 848 Sqns are still listed on there, ALL are disbanded now... royal marines apparently still using WMIKs in Afghanistan... the list goes on.

That website is junk, do not believe any more of it's lies!

• Supporters

The uk sfsg are a sfg...dont know where you got that idea from. And this thread seems to be getting twisted iinto something else.

I dont know why the whole dpm mtp withng keeps popping up, and again uksf do have a freedom of choice, ofcoyrse they have a standard issue kit, however they are not glued to using it...trust me im not just yapping about some idea thats been typed up on wiki...

And please can we unwarp this thread back to the original topic rather than a who knows what quiz?

You crack on then matey, at 19 years old I knew everything too!

As for why people do american kits, it's probably because the yanks use cooler stuff and there's more replicas available.

I get my information by a coworker wo was in a sf support group of some sort, but since he dosent airsoft or use this forum I didnt want to say it as its kinda cheesy and I know anyone can say shit like that.

I copied that link because its all I could find to fit the moutb.

But again I was really hoping not to get into the whole uk v usa standoff wheni postted it hahah.

Hes making bull about what...if ur on about the whole m16 thing if you re read my comment it did say I dont know if theyre still in service but theyre definatly in stock...and as far as sfsg, again yes they hzve issued kits that are used for S.O as they have a purpose, but the whole point of special is they do spo , wit h means freedom of kit is needed...just go on google images and look for some pics man...

But please dont think im trying to prove anything because im kinda slapping myself for starting this thred now.

Back to the point of why we choose to use thexe kits because after all, were juxt playing games ;)

Archived