Helmet fitting

Lambster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I recently bough a Helmet second hand. It arrived yesterday but I'm unsure on the fitting.

The chin strap sits at a funny angle and not level with my chin, the helmet does wobble and rotate slightly but I've not stuck the padding down into the shell yet. I've tried adjusting the straps to fit but they overlap my ear on one side.

It sits about 1 inch above my eyebrows. I was reading that if it's too small it will sit high, if it's too big it will sit low.

The circumference of my head is about 22.75" so I should be a large and I very much doubt that this is an XL. Could this just be that the padding is too thick?

Does anyone have any guides to fitting correctly or advice?

I'll add pics when I can, but images of the actual helmet are here:

4a4cfb3f-372f-41d1-bb1b-df78e98a9ffc_zps

9c6533fc-beb0-4669-8470-77178f280949_zps

Cheers

I know this may sound daft but have you tried it with all your head pro on ?

I bought a Mich & it was loose as hell, I thought my head was too small but when I have my mesh mask, goggles & it's tightened up it's perfect.

I was thinking the same until I did that.

I've not got my head pro yet. Still waiting for it to arrive from China.

I've tried everything from that PDF and the end result is the same. Right side straps cut in to my lower ear and the chin strap is wonky.

I've even removed the padding completely to test and end up with the same result

post-8999-0-07375200-1394216389_thumb.jpg

I haven't read the PDF, but how I got mine to fit:

First, adjust your left side straps to make it more slack, that looks to be tighter than the opposite side, pulling your straps askew.

Put every single pad in, try it on. Correct fitting helmets (from from I remember about the MICH) should sit about 1 inch above the eye brow, so all good there.

If that then still sits askew, remove the centre top pad so just the sides keep your helmet on, it should allow it to move down a bit more.

After that, if you're STILL askew, your pads are probably not mirroring each other perfectly, so make sure they're symetrical in the helmet.

Finally, if it's still too small, take the foam out of the little black pockets they come in and thin them out with a craft knife or scissors, I have a large head and took half off mine but do it in small amounts, you can always take off more but you can't put it back on after!

Hope that sorts your problems mate

I did wonder the same with the manual, but it is bloody complicated.

I'll give your suggestions a try Teddy, thanks. My pads are strange though, there's nothing fixed to the shell, then there's some padding with sticky velcro, which then has velcro on which has removable pads on. I've been trying to adjust them to the best position.

No problem mate, hope it sorts your troubles.

Yeah they come like that, What worked best for me was having the largest pads on the temple areas and the smallers, say 2 , maybe one on the front and back. If you use 2 on each side, try and angle them to make a curve which joins your side padding. Failing that, if you find you need just the 1 on each side, stick them bang in the middle.

when i fitted mine i got the pads right so it felt comfortable and do not worry if the pad is not meant to sit in that place ie it a side pad at the rear.

then adjust the rear knob to desired setting

then rest the chin strap in the correct position and if you have a handy assistant just get them to help adjust the straps slowly and some straps move internally so may have to fiddle a little

thats how i did mine :)

hope this helps

Archived