V2 Gearbox locking back/not firing?

Monty
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

As per title, I go to pull the trigger, the gearbox either does nothing or locks up. Battery heats up badly if I hold the trigger down, I suspect that the spring is too strong for the motor? The gearbox and motor are stock from the factory.

I hope that it isn't anything major.

Have you changed the spring for something over about an M120? If not then a standard motor should be able to pull up to that, unless you have also changed the gear ratios. As M-P suggested, is the motor set to high, as it sounds like the motor is too tight to turn the gearbox correctly, or it's possible that the battery is knackered, as a discharged battery will give a similar lack of power?

• Supporters

Have you changed the spring for something over about an M120? If not then a standard motor should be able to pull up to that, unless you have also changed the gear ratios. As M-P suggested, is the motor set to high, as it sounds like the motor is too tight to turn the gearbox correctly, or it's possible that the battery is knackered, as a discharged battery will give a similar lack of power?

Haven't touched the gearbox when I got it, until I found this problem. I'll try adjusting the motor and see what happens

To check the motor height, first have a look at the adjusting screw on the bottom of the motor housing. Is it a tiny grub screw with an Allen key hole, or a large screw with a big slot in it? If the former, undo the two motor base plate screws with the gun upside down and check that there is a small metal plate sitting on top of the base of the motor and under the adjuster screw. If there isn't one then you need to buy or acquire one, otherwise the adjuster screw will press on the end of the motor shaft and will stop it turning properly. If it has the large screw adjuster (about 6-7mm across) then you don't need the small metal plate in there.

Either way, to adjust the motor, screw out the adjuster until it is level with the inside of the motor base plate. Refit the base plate, then pull the trigger. You should hear the motor spin up without turning the gears. Now turn the adjuster screw in two complete turns. This should ensure the pinion gear on the end of the motor engages with the gears in the gearbox. Now keep the trigger pulled and turn the adjuster so that the motor is being pushed in deeper and until the noise starts to become a skreeching noise (ignoring the sound of the gearbox firing) when it starts to get too high. Now turn the motor screw back until the skreeching stops, then very slowly back it off about another 1/4 to 1/2 a turn until the noise becomes the smoothest you can get it. The motor height should then be set right.

• Supporters

What about the battery? Is it a low mAh/voltage? If so, try putting a larger one in there, my M16 gearbox locks up like you've described when I use anything lower than 1800mAh, but with a 3700mAh battery, it fires fine (both 8.4v).

This happened to me very recently, it was eventually discovered that my battery was dud, had nowhere near enough power to cycle the GB, once I bought a new battery/charged it and stuck the gun on full auto it cleared no problem.

Hope this helps.

Archived