Best Tavor TAR21 in the market?

shaun_ccxr

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi

I owned a VFC Scar for a short while and i am really satisfied with that gun.

But recently i would like a second gun so i can swap over between the Scar L.

I have been looking through posts but there are not much info about the tar21.

As i know there are 3 makes

1. S&T ( which has the worst externals as i know and unsure internals)

2. Ares (i have basically ordered one already but the shop told me they have tested 2 stocks and all of them are faulty so they got me a refund)

3. Umerax (I am really looking forward for this but i struggle to find it in UK market?)

May I please get some suggestions about this pls

Thanks

• Supporters

Unfortunately, they're all terrible. Best option really is the ares and be prepared to replace bits regularly- they have a good customer service but still not an ideal solution.

• Supporters

It'll just be another makes gun that they've re-branded. It's a sad state of affairs when there's a real possibility that TM's 75% size kids version is likely to be the best lol

The Ares one seems hit and miss. Outside it's superb, it's the internals that can be a problem - we're talking version 2 here with the longer barrel and no MARS sight. The newer version supposedly had fixes for some of the issues in the original. Main issue seems to be the fire selector mechanism and mine does play up occasionally. I've also had some fraying of the battery plug wiring due the tight fit in the stock - would have been better if it was shorter, however for me this is moot as this weekend a friend is converting mine to deans.

So which is the ares should I get?

I saw there are shops selling 300 but some 400

Are they different versions which make then different jn price or it's just the shop selling cheap

If you go Ares there are two models and 3 colours for each. The original (more expensive) model comes with a short barrel and a MARS sight (it's actually a CTAR). The newer model that replaced it has a rail instead of a sight and the normal length barrel. The colours are black, green, and Dark Earth. (checking the Ares website they still do a CTAR without the MARS sight, but I've not seen one for sale over here).

As it's an older model you'll probably find end of stock being sold off - I got mine reduced from ~£380 to ~£280 (from memory).

Note one option is to keep an eye open for second hand where the owner has given details of any fixes he has done (or had done for him). I suspect at some point I'll need the fire selector spring on mine sorted out (might mofset it at the same time).

-- edit

Oh should add I keep the following URL for reference as it covers the good and bad points

I have the budget but I will still try the s&t first.

Read reviews and has mixed feelings about it. Some say its crap some says it worthy the money

Btw can the ares rail fit this gun?

• Supporters

Do anyone see any elite force ebb version for sale in the uk?

They seems only available in the us market

Elite force dont really sell in the UK im afraid, some retailers may have their bbs but that's about it. Though again for your own sake, don't buy a tavor.

• 8 months later...

Gun (3) the Umarex one is known as the S&T professional. Elite force do it in the USA but you can't import theirs. I actually got it from Hong Kong and it arrived in about a week but then spent a week in customs. Basically the S&T professional is the most modern of the guns, it doesn't have the issues with the mag release button like the Ares and fixes a lot of the major complaints about the S&T explorer model, that is the gearbox is metal, the gears and bearings and such are decent quality, its got a quick detach spring and EBB. I have had it apart a couple of times and my main complaint about the gun is actually the air seal, but the gearbox is partly type 2 compatible so you can fix it and then its actually really quite a good gun. Its been much more reliable than my G&G T418 and better accuracy as well.

I had a bit of trouble taking it apart and putting back together to begin with because I couldn't find any good guides, and it is a pain as there are a lot of parts that need to come out to strip it, but the gun itself is pretty fun. My current list of complaints:

1) Default air seal is terrible. Strangely consistency wasn't awful (accuracy was decent) but checking air seal its universally awful.

2) The inner barrel is bent out of the box! Its got a lean downwards and it means the sight is at its limit of adjustment. Not good.

3) I think it needs a more powerful motor, especially due to the EBB. Cycle time is kind of high in full automatic fire and I need it a bit more responsive.

4) The trigger pull is long and the break has no feel to it at all. Typical problem with bullpups of course but its accuracy impacting.

5) The quality of the polymer around making up the gun is hard but not very good. In particular there are seals showing all around the gun which look pretty bad.

6) Watch out for the pins, a few of them are a bit loose and possible to loose in the field.

7) The hop unit is plastic and its not all that great. I find mine has a tendency to slip through the day and need resetting every few hours. Its mostly an M4 design however unlike the Ares which is completely custom so I am wondering if I can get an M4 one in there.

This S&T professional isn't the same class of problems as the explorer, its not perfect but its more upgradable.

So it sounds like you need to buy the gun then spend alot of money just to get it working well...

It works out of the box but its far from perfect. I have run it stock for a number of games and now I know what is wrong with it I am fixing it. But I have a similar set of concerns about my G&G T4-18, and my G&G CM16. I haven't yet had a single gun that is actually decent out of the box. I don't think that exists.

• Supporters

I haven't yet had a single gun that is actually decent out of the box. I don't think that exists.

I know this is potentially the wrong question to ask....but have you considered that it may be you? There's plenty of folk out there with guns that have been absolutely fine out of the box (myself included). Maybe you've just been spectacularly unlucky?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.