Barrel Cleaning and Polishing

Dan_W
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Root Admin

alcohol is a strong solvent, while I can't say for sure it'll damage whatever his hop rubber is made of it certainly won't do it any good!

It's fairly strong, yes - though I'd argue not strong enough to have an effect on the materials hop rubbers are made from. The reason I clean the bucking with isopropyl alcohol is just to get any silicone off it that's been travelling down the barrel from the green gas or lube in the rest of the gun. Certainly send a paper towel down the bore to get it off right after, but I'm not sure if avoiding it altogether is the most optimum way either as people do get dirt and lube on their buckings all the time.

• Supporters

Think it is more possible risk of damage from mishap in cleaning than the alcho itself

yup as said possible cleaning of bucking in barrel if really bad but still a risk of damage if user isn't very very careful

As I don't wanna get sued for somebody saying - You said it would be safe to do this and now my bucking is shagged...

I'm sticking with the cautious side of things and play safe avoid hop unit if possible....

Disclaimer - Your bucking may be at risk if you do not apply common sense when maintaining your gun

if you do not have any common sense and pour in instead any chemicals you find around the house

then you should seek profesional advice first before trying to maintain your gun

other factors may apply if you are too f*cking stupid to own a gun and not sure which end is which or where bb's come out

Yup think I should safe from being sued by some 12yr old kid with a JBBG gun

my gun is shooting $hit now...

No your gun from JBBG was always shooting $hit - just now its a bit cleaner inside

Still $hit but cleaner $hit

think that covers it

• 3 weeks later...
Guest PT247

Just to show why cleaning your brand new gun/barrel is necessary....

Here is the result of cleaning my new PDI 6.05mm barrel which turned up today:

DSC_0258_zpsr3ucwlhl.jpg

No idea how it would have affected accuracy had I not cleaned it as I always clean them before fitting but am hitting a flag pole (just a bit larger diameter than a broom handle roughly) in not a small amount of wind at around 60m on my KC-02!

I find new guns tend to fire a lot of grease down into the barrel as well which requires cleaning. They might start clean but after that first game with a G&G I put about 30 pieces of kitchen towel through it to clean up. Got less of a problem after a few games but they do get filthy and I had a pile a lot bigger than that!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, my G&G GC16 came with a pretty filthy barrel. Probably just protective coating for storage/transport I guess. Or manufacture residue.

I use silicon oil and haven't had any trouble to be honest, though I use it very sparingly. And pull the hop up rubber all the way out first. Just make sure to send some dry paper towels down afterwards until they come out as bone dry as they went in.

• 1 month later...

I'm just wanting to know how you guys can get your barrel so dirty? I skirmish wth my rifle sling and have never encountered an opportunity where my barrel is stuck into the dirt. Like how do you have to fall before u use your rifle as a fork? Wouldn't it be easier to just fall with the thicker stock onto the ground? I clean mine after some games or before storage but dirt never comes out.

• Root Admin

It's more BB residue, which you won't see against a tissue/kitchen towel anyway. Depends on the ammo, level of polish, air volume etc. - basically never the same between any two people. I try to use bios which tend to leave a bit more residue.

Silicone being blasted down the barrel from GBBRs makes a big difference too as that'll collect dust and stuff (but does make cleaning marginally easier).

I mostly clean the barrel just to clean the bucking carefully with alcohol though, because I've found that does actually make a noticeable difference from time to time. Again, especially when you have a GBBR or my DG that does sometimes send lube down the barrel and onto the bucking.

• Supporters

are we still on this ???

if ya gun starts to lose its accuracy/range it is the first thing you should do - end of

crap gets EVERYWHERE - bits of bb plastic, heck specs of grease/oil, tiny fragments from sorbo/neoprene, minute particles from piston head or o-ring - the list goes on and any spec will affect stuff flying out your toy gun

has anybody got a chrono that doesn't rattle like a baby's toy

actually - scrap that question coz some flash bastid will chime in with a Caldwell chrono

(I was referring to usual airsoft xcortech chrono's but no doubt loads of bits of bb's in there like most others)

point is - crap can easily build up, in some guns more than others but all the same just a wipe now n then is just $hit you should do

Guest PT247

I'm just wanting to know how you guys can get your barrel so dirty? I skirmish wth my rifle sling and have never encountered an opportunity where my barrel is stuck into the dirt. Like how do you have to fall before u use your rifle as a fork? Wouldn't it be easier to just fall with the thicker stock onto the ground? I clean mine after some games or before storage but dirt never comes out.

my pic was from a brand new barrel unskirmished and unfitted.

my pic was from a brand new barrel unskirmished and unfitted.

ahh, the stock factory grease. i see haha, it makes a lot more sense. never normally seen dark residue in my barrels, but my guns have madbull tightbores so.

So you cant see it because the barrel is black?

no because when i retrieve the tissues from the cleaning rod there has never been any visible residue.

besides.. most of my barrel is white anyway :D

u1g4UvH.jpg

• Supporters

I was trying to figure out the madbull reference because I dont get what the difference is between that and any other barrel.

If you never get any crap out thats strange because you normally get some residue from bbs and the occasional bit of grease from your gearbox. You either have a dry gearbox or are just really lucky.

I was trying to figure out the madbull reference because I dont get what the difference is between that and any other barrel.

If you never get any crap out thats strange because you normally get some residue from bbs and the occasional bit of grease from your gearbox. You either have a dry gearbox or are just really lucky.

the residue from bbs, silicone im guessing, would be pretty hard to spot anyway. my gearbox is properly tuned and lubricated ... efficiently, unlike stock GBs, so i wouldnt say im lucky, but if you get it right the gearbox wouldn't do you any problems nor would the barrels.

• Supporters

the residue from bbs, silicone im guessing, would be pretty hard to spot anyway. my gearbox is properly tuned and lubricated ... efficiently, unlike stock GBs, so i wouldnt say im lucky, but if you get it right the gearbox wouldn't do you any problems nor would the barrels.

No the residue from bbs is small particles off the bbs its like a fine powder (unless its nuprol bbs then its basically like talc). The best set up gun in the world whether aeg or gbb should still get some lubricant seepage down the barrel as you are blasting air through lubricated parts. I dont need to clean my barrels that often but still have to occasionally otherwise you notice the difference. I only use 6.05 barrels which are not as tight as madbull so generally dont need cleaning so often.

Do you use isopropyl alcohol to clean the barrel?

No the residue from bbs is small particles off the bbs its like a fine powder (unless its nuprol bbs then its basically like talc). The best set up gun in the world whether aeg or gbb should still get some lubricant seepage down the barrel as you are blasting air through lubricated parts. I dont need to clean my barrels that often but still have to occasionally otherwise you notice the difference. I only use 6.05 barrels which are not as tight as madbull so generally dont need cleaning so often.

Do you use isopropyl alcohol to clean the barrel?

I use isopropyl and grease it using silicone oil. I should definetly out to see this fine powder but after about 30 or so mags I still haven't come across any.

• Supporters

I use isopropyl and grease it using silicone oil. I should definetly out to see this fine powder but after about 30 or so mags I still haven't come across any.

Dont use silicone oil in your barrel ever just clean with alcohol.

30 mags isn't a huge amount before cleaning some people go months before bothering.

Dont use silicone oil in your barrel ever just clean with alcohol.

30 mags isn't a huge amount before cleaning some people go months before bothering.

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/31134-gun-maintenance-gbbr/?p=241662

Incidentally - this is a good post for whomever bumped this thread without reading it properly.

Archived